.204 Ruger opinions .......

Everthing is relative. As far as a perfect all around varmint round, I think the 204 in a Cooper is going to be hard to beat. I'd take it over a 17 , 223, 22-250, or 6BR any day for varmint hunting. A 39gr BK bullet has got great 400 yard ballistics beating these other rounds in both better windage and less drop at 400 yards, with less blast and/or recoil, while delivering respectable energy out to 300 yards.

If anyone wants better wind resistance and less drop then the 39gr Sierra at 400 yrds, then they are not going to do it with a 6mm bullet unless they are going to use a larger case like a 6 Dasher or 6x47. Ballistics don't lie.

Performance means more than ballistics

Everthing is relative. As far as a perfect all around varmint round, I think the 204 in a Cooper is going to be hard to beat. I'd take it over a 17 , 223, 22-250, or 6BR any day for varmint hunting. A 39gr BK bullet has got great 400 yard ballistics beating these other rounds in both better windage and less drop at 400 yards, with less blast and/or recoil, while delivering respectable energy out to 300 yards.

If anyone wants better wind resistance and less drop then the 39gr Sierra at 400 yrds, then they are not going to do it with a 6mm bullet unless they are going to use a larger case like a 6 Dasher or 6x47. Ballistics don't lie.

I sold my 204 Ruger because of it's lack of terminal performance on chucks. The 220 Swift shooting 40 grain ballistic tips far out paces any 204 shooting 40 grainers. Even my 20BR gets it's butt kicked by the Swift on chucks. If you look at the ballistics of a 204 40 VMax at 4200FPS and a 224 40 Ballistic Tip at 4200 you would give the nod to the 204 but it is not the case. I have killed over 200 chucks with the 204 cal and over 10000 with the 224's and the 204 does not hold a candle to the 224 in terminal performance.

Mike

:)I have four .204's and I like each one. One is a Kimber, one a Rem. W/Pac-Nor Super Match barrel (2nd.one); and two Ruger Varmint models. With the exception of the Kimber, all have been re-stocked, bedded,& triggers replaced which for me is a must do. The kimber is just to pretty. All will shoot under half in. at 100yrds. and usually better. Bullet seating depth is very critical in each gun. The Kimber must be at Hornady Specs. due to magazine lgth..I have used 32gr. V-Max in all since they shot so well. Discovered that the 34gr. HP. from Midsouth are awsome in both Rugers. These are made by Nosler by the way. Barrel life will be under 3,000rnds if you shoot hot loads. Wind is a factor w/these small bullets. After 300yrds. things get iffy. I have loads of load info. if you are interested. Happy hunting. Harold

My Cooper Montana Varminter .204 Ruger shoots great right out of the box. With factory ammo I was shooting under 3/8" at 100 meters during break in. On my last trip to the range I was hitting the 300 meter target inside of an inch. I'm now up to about 175 rounds and will be using arbor hand loads from here on.

A typical, but not the best, 10 round target at 100 meters... so far.

Dime.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Cooper is coming....

Got a call from Mark at First Stop Guns, all is OK with my order, should be here in 5 weeks.

MEANWHILE, I got a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger. Impressive accuracy right
out of the box. I mounted a Sightron SIII 10-50X60, clear as a bell. Havent tried a tracking test yet.
Anyway I shot 40 Hornady 32gr and
40 Federal 39gr Blitzkings. Here was a closing target yesterday after clicking
around with the scope. Sighten in at 100yds with +1.5 in. The five shot group
was at 200yds, 10mph wind from a rest. Gotta try it with a bipod!! I cant
shoot too well and specially with about 4-5 guys shooting Encore pistols
in .308 and higher calibers next to me. I flinch when they Boom, loud suckers.

Shoot was 5 shots, 200yds, 39 gr Federal Blitzking. The Hornady ammo was just as accurate,
I think the 39gr Blitzking is a bit faster at distance.

Not bad, out of box, no trigger fiddling, no bedding. The set trigger is super
from factory setting. :)

Will do a shoot comparison with the Cooper when it arrives. Then its off to
shooting reloads.

Very nice!! Looks like you got a keeper there.
Your going to enjoy this cartridge;)

I've had three 204 Rugers now and not one of them has shot to what I consider sufficient accuracy for varmint hunting, this despite endless rounds of load development and gunsmith work. In my opinion the round is a sales gimmick and not much more than that. There are other 20 caliber rounds that perform much better and I would suggest you check them out before spending money on a 204 Ruger.

I strongly disagree,i have used 3 .204 ruger chambering in savage,remington and a ruger.
The ruger shot just about .9 inch groups,the Remington VLS is a .5 shooter with berger 40 grain bullets and out performs my 22.250 at long range.
I shoot 29 grains of ww-748 with the 40 grain berger and in the savage single shot Heavy barrel,it will get down to .6 inch groups at 200 yards and a ground hog at 500 yards is dead meat.
There are barrels and there are barrels,about 1 in 10 factory barrels will shoot good,i was just lucky to get 2 good ones.

My next 204 ....

Got a call today, ON SUNDAY, my new Cooper Montana Varminter .204 Ruger has shipped. Yippe-doo! Now I will set it up and shoot it against my CZ 204,
just for fun, I love my CZ. I suppose I will become a 204 nutcase, HA!
I will post a range report and pics of the rifles. It is also a shootoff with the scopes, Sightron vs. Nightforce.

Pic of my 204 Cooper

OK Here is pic of the 204 Cooper Montana Varmint with
Nightforce target 12-42X56 BR scope. Will shoot it
tomorrow; break-in and then shoot groups at 100 and 200 yds.
Hope my shooting skills are up to par with the gun &s cope. ;)

Very nice looking gun....wood especially looks good! outshooting the cz is going to be tough. Enjoy the Cooper..they are special guns.
:D

Range report new Cooper 204

Took the new 204 to the range w/Harris Bipod. I boresighted at home the
way the "ancients" did - look thru the barrel and adjust the scope. I dont
have a new fangled laser sighter. Followed the break in to the letter; shoot and
clean for twenty shots, this was very tedious and interferes with fun shooting.
Didnt waste shots at the berms though, hit targets. Only had 30 cartridges
of Hornady [factory] 40gr Vmax. My reload stuff aint here yet neither is my ammo order. My CZ likes to eat the Federal 39gr. Gottatry it on the Coop.

Here is pic of my sight in. Azimuth was dead on, from boresight, and elevation on the high side. Took me two adjustments and shots to hit the triangle. Lucky me! I did it by counting 1/8 MOA clicks,
have to get used to that - practice-practice-practice. This was at 100yds,
adjusted for drop at 200yds, about 1.5 inches

Here is a Casey target with some shoot and clean sequence shots at 200yds,
5 shot group, two in the same hole just about.

He was my last 5 shot group after the complete break-in/cleaning sequence.

Next week I will have lotsa ammo and I will use my benchrest apparatus.
One thing I need is advice on the trigger it is really a heavy pull, crisp though,
no creep. I am used to my CZs set triggers. How do you adjust the trigger? Gunsmith? Once I get the trigger adjusted
I will shoot much better, I hope. BTW the Nightforce scope is really good glass,
clear, however the NP-2DD reticle takes a while to get used to.

You can get trigger adjustment instructions from Cooper. On most that I've owned I could get the trigger reliably set around 10-12oz. If that isn't light enough for you, you can get a Jard that will go to 2oz.

Rick

Hi Rick, thanks. I am going to shoot some more at the range and then
take it to a local gunsmith that knows Cooper rifles. I already talked to him,
he knows all the nuances of the Cooper triggers. ;)

Hope you like your 204. I have a Savage that I bought in 05. During load development this rifle, which was bedded and had a Rifle Basix trigger installed, before I took it home, shot an 8 shot group that measured .267. This load is H322, 40grain Bergers, and Fed. primers. It chronos at 3550 and has killed many prarie dogs at over 400 yards. This load shows no pressure signs in moderate temps., but on a July afternoon craters the primers a little bit. Oddly enough, years ago I owned a couple of 6x47s (based on the 222 mag case also) that used very similar powder charge weights using the same powders and 60 grain bullets made by Clarence Detsch. sp?

Back