20 vartarg load question

D

dog

Wanting to use a Hornady 45gn, with a 12 twist barrel. Any thoughts on powder and charge? I know this is not the best place to ask, but I can't seem to be able to get on saubier.com.

First,
I'd suggest you use a lighter bullet. You may have trouble stabilizing a 45gr in a 12 twist. Also, unless you already have them, Hornady is showing them as suspended. I have had good success with a 32gr and H4198. You might try Hogden's website for some suggestions.

Rick

I already have them, didn't want to reload 100 round that would only keyhole. I'll give hornady a call and find out what the min. twist rate is when they reopen after xmas. Thanks.

They're not gonna work. 40's are the max in the TAC 20 and 204 with a 12 twist and both of those drive them faster than a Vartarg.

I was running into the same problem (keyholing) when working up a "mid range" load. Upped the powder charge (a little) without changing anything else and the bullets straightened right out.
Shoot em if you've got em!;)

I was running into the same problem (keyholing) when working up a "mid range" load. Upped the powder charge (a little) without changing anything else and the bullets straightened right out.
Shoot em if you've got em!;)

I bought one box of the 45s some time back just to see how they shot in my 20s. All 12 twist.

They shot fine but due to the lower BC compared to the 40 VMAX I didn't buy more. Kenny

Back