.20 cal barrels

R

robbor

Anyone ever heard of chambering a .20 caliber barrel to 22lr??? Im wondering if ther will be a velocity gain or loss? Obviously lots of pressure.

.20 cal barrels for .22 cal ammo

It's how the world began--- With a BIG BANG!!!!

Swager Barrels

"Connecticut Precision Chambering" used to chamber .20 and .17 barrels for use with Stinger ammunition. Claims were 1700+ fps muzzle velocity and a high ballistic coeficient due to swaging the .22 bullet down to the smaller caliber. Must not have been all that successful as he does not offer it now.

22LR to 20 calibre

About 30 years ago an Australian, Arthur Langsford, owner of Myra’s Sports Store in Broken Hill came up with a barrel that used .22LR ammunition that passed through a forcing cone swaging the projectile down to .20 calibre. He has since passed away and the barrels, I believe, are no longer produced.

Apparently there was a considerable gain in velocity due to the increase in pressure while the bullet was forced into the smaller barrel. The pressure increase was apparently well within the design and safety limits of the actions that he used. Penetration was assisted by having a longer bullet of the same weight. On small game where penetration was not a problem the only gain would have been a slightly flatter trajectory. I believe he also experimented with .17 calibre barrels but could not get consistent accuracy so he shelved that idea.

I have been considering this type of barrel to use in a switch barrel setup but am unable to find out any further info such as how the forcing cone was cut and to what dimensions. If I do find out I will post the results.

Iggy
Ian McLaren

article

I want to say I have an old article mentioning him inventing the HMR with an interesting excerpt about him testing it with a 25gr bullet to 3400fps+ and the headstamp was gone after firing.

Back