2-24-13 Manatee IR50 match results

DJB in Wi

Today we had a high temp of 84 with 6-18 MPH winds. The wind was changing directions in a blink of the eye. Tough day to shoot a good score. Pete Wass managed to shoot 4 248's which was quite a feat in the tough winds. Good shooting Pete.

Sporter

Pete Wass...........248-14
Doug Bell...........247-14
Ernie Jenderko....247-10

101/2

Ernie Jenderko....249-12
Doug Bell...........248-16
Neil Ewing..........246-15

131/2

Doug Bell..........250-17
Pete Wass.........248-15
Ernie Jenderko...246-14

3-gun

Doug Bell........745-47

Unlimited

Doug Bell.......248-15
Pete Wass......248-13
Dick Volk.......246-18

Pete Wass......248-13
Doug Bell.......246-16
Dick Volk........246-13

Pete Wass.......246-12
Ernie Jenderko..246-12
Dick Volk..........242-8

3 card Agg....... Pete Wass........742-38

Sometimes :)

Doug and Pete, congrats on your 3 gun and unlimited agg. wins today. Appears to be good scores across the board for windy conditions.

I received my new sporter stock from Don Stith yesterday. He did a very nice job ... and it only weighs 17.2 ounces. I will turn the pillars tomorrow on my lathe and will get the action bedded within the next day or so. March is out for me, but I will try to make it to Manatee again for the April match. John

Doug and Pete, congrats on your 3 gun and unlimited agg. wins today. Appears to be good scores across the board for windy conditions.

I received my new sporter stock from Don Stith yesterday. He did a very nice job ... and it only weighs 17.2 ounces. I will turn the pillars tomorrow on my lathe and will get the action bedded within the next day or so. March is out for me, but I will try to make it to Manatee again for the April match. John

Thanks John, Just think of how much better my 10.5 lb rifle would have shot if it didn't have a Ross Taper Barrel :).

Thanks John, Just think of how much better my 10.5 lb rifle would have shot if it didn't have a Ross Taper Barrel :).

Pete, my limited experience with a Ross tapered Broughton 5C on a 40X is that it shot much more consistantly with a screw on weight added to the standard Harrel tuner. At first I tried going to the light tuner route, could not get it to shoot at any setting from O to 500. Adding weight, in my case did the trick. Of course, adding a screw on weight my not be an option on your 10.5 lb rifle. Reducer bushings can also be problematic if they are not made or installed correctly. I prefer a .900" or 850" straight barrel as they are easier to tune. It would seem that an action manufacturer could modify the proven Rem. 40X design by reducing the receiver thread to 3/4 X 16 and eliminate the need for a bushing when installing a straight profile barrel. John

Hi John .....Thanks. The Manatee has very few days were the winds are your friend. Every time I adjusted for what I thought were going to be the dominant wind, it would switch to another direction. After the second scope adjustment I gave up, and waited and waited and waited some more for the left to right (SW) winds. Hope to see you soon. Doug

Pete, my limited experience with a Ross tapered Broughton 5C on a 40X is that it shot much more consistantly with a screw on weight added to the standard Harrel tuner. At first I tried going to the light tuner route, could not get it to shoot at any setting from O to 500. Adding weight, in my case did the trick. Of course, adding a screw on weight my not be an option on your 10.5 lb rifle. Reducer bushings can also be problematic if they are not made or installed correctly. I prefer a .900" or 850" straight barrel as they are easier to tune. It would seem that an action manufacturer could modify the proven Rem. 40X design by reducing the receiver thread to 3/4 X 16 and eliminate the need for a bushing when installing a straight profile barrel. John

Hi John,

My comment was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment for a post on another forum. The Turbo action I have has a reducer in it to replace a differential thread bushing that the origional owner had installed to facilitate indexing the barrel. SO, I have a Ross Taper machined to fit the smaller, more normal, RF barrel sized hole. AND interestingly enough, it seems in tune at 25 and 57 clicks (Harrels). I tried a lighter tuner but could not find tune a few oz lighter. The extra weight of the noodle does not seem to change the tune @ 57( which I use instead of 25) and I find that the rifle seems to shoot better without the noodle inside and better with it outside. I have probed a number of times to try to find out how to know when to add weight, without results. Don't know if adding an ounce or two would help my tune but the rifle shoots better than I can read the wind, or have the paticence to wait, most of the time, so probably better to let sleeping dogs sleep. This is a 2 year old Rock Creek, by the way.

Last edited:
Back