2"-2.75" groups from my model 7---Ideas?

Well, I have to say THANKS to too many people to list. I knew there was a wealth of info on this site and you guys definitely proved it!
I pulled the barrelled action, scrubbed it up, inspected the chamber(looked great), put it back together, torqued the action screws evenly, folded up the sales receipt 'till it fit tight between the barrel and stock.
First 2 shots were 3" apart. Moved the shim all the way to the tip shot 2 more; could'nt find the one hole:confused:. Moved the shim halfway back the freefloat and shot 3 more. Paydirt, 7/8"! Then I took a closer look at the other shots and realized that the bullet I could'nt find was in the previous bullet hole so close that it only egg shaped the hole slightly. So if you exclude the cold bore shot, which I'll write off due to disassembly&cleaning, I've got 2 three shot groups @ 7/8" and both groups have 2 shots cutting each other; with factory ammo! All shot off the hood of my Jeep at 100yds with bags and a stiff 30MPH breeze at my back.
Started prepping cases today. I've got twenty primed and ready to go.
Will keep you guys posted on any further progress and thanks so much for the great advice:).

Try an accuracy enhancer...

Hart and Sinclair offer an item that attaches to the stock forend that give you a flat surface on the forearm to ride the front bag better without twisting under recoil...
I have a .243 model seven that shot crappy until I loaded some Lapua brass...I used Remington brass before, and the gun just would not shoot with Remington brass..!

Your groups are typical.......

of every model 7 that I have owned. Put a muzzle break on the rifle and your problems are solves.

Just a comment on buggy whip barrels: my ruger ultralight MK1 77 in 30-06 will shoot .75 with factory ammo. A waste really, this is my carry gun and that accuracy isn't needed. I wish I could transfer it to some other rifle.

Back