1966 wincherster model 70 .270 a good start for a 600 yd gun a new

B

bigsexy10

i know i need a new barrel,caliber ? is the action good enough

In my opinion of mass produced factory actions any Remington 700 is better. More options/accessories and the potential for superior accuracy over a 70.

I shoot a push feed Model 70 in 6.5X55 in tactical and some long range matches. I have a machine shop and have used it to enhance the rifles accuracy and consider it's present form to be far superior to any factory Remington. That being said, the round Rem. action is easier to work with and unfortunately most Rems require a great deal of work to achieve their potential. I would choose a Savage action to build a decent rifle for the least amount of money, and I would chamber it in 6mmBR or one of the improved 6mmBR offerings.

I would agree with Mr. Sorensen that the Remington 700 would be my first choice for an accuracy platform. Unless money is no problem then I would opt for a custom action. ( no action truing) I think it is unfair to say that a Remington 700 requires a great deal of work to achieve their potential. It has been my experience that they require less than most factory actions. And they are alot easier to work with. I think thats why they are so widely accepted. The straight forward action was designed by an early accuracy shooter and friend Mr Walker. I would go as far to say if you took a poll on BRC that the 700 would be the first choice of most of the shooters if they had to start with a factory action.

Another point would be that Custom 700's sell quicker and for more money than just about any other factory action.
As Mr. Sorensen touched on, There are alot of after market performance parts for the 700. Just look on Dave Kiffs website under Remington Performance Parts. Try finding them for any other actions.

As far as chambers for 600 yds, Do you plan on shooting paper, Varmints,or long range hunting?

Boe

Last edited:
Back