.17 centerfire barrel choice

W

Wapiti

Looking for input on current choice/s for a new .17 barrel.

TIA.:D

Thanks Doug- I didn't realize the .17 was dead!

Good shooting.

The .17 is not dead, but a lot of the small caliber guys hang at that site I suggested. I have a .17 and a .20 and love them but I don't have a wealth of small caliber knowledge and experience like the guys at the other site.

I have a new anschutz barrel off of 1710 I would let go for 150.00. I bought the rifle for the action and trigger. Barrel has never been shot.

Lilja has a good reputation when it comes to .172 caliber barrels. The super match grade Pac-Nor barrels are pretty good too. I also had good performance from my .17 Remington Shilen barrel.

My Douglas XX barrel performed very well. I traded the rifle off and the guy that has it now is getting just as good a result as I was. It would group .3s at 100 out of a .17 Ackley Hornet.

11.4gr IMR4198

I'm going to build another one this summer off a CZ527 action if I can find one. I wasn't a big fan of the rotary magazine of the Ruger rifle, that was the only reason I sold it. It was throated too long for the cartridge to fit the magazine and single-feed is a pain with the 77/22 Hornet.

Wapiti: I only have one custom Rifle in 17 centerfire caliber.
This custom Rifle is in 17 MachIV and uses a Shilen 26 1/2" long, very heavy, stainless barrel. This Rifle weighs 12 pounds 11 ounces with Leupold 6.5x20 scope!
I am absolutely thrilled with the accuracy it gives me!
With bullets suitable for Varminting the last 4 groups (5 shots at 100 yards) it has made for me measured .264", .339", .322" and .262"!
These four groups were each made in a different years sight in verification check!
I highly recommend the Shilen folks for a 17 centerfire barrel blank!
The year I had my 17 MachIV made the folks at Lilja had "temporarily" ceased production of 17 caliber barrels - this was in July 1995.
I know shooters who use Lilja barrels in their 17 caliber customs and they are happy with them.
Best of luck with whichever barrel you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've built two 17MkIV, and 17/222 with Lilja barrels. They are excellent.

Twlerw02, the CZ527 is just the cat's meow for the little 17's, works great!

Bill

I know it. I had a .204 Ruger on the 527 and loved the gun. I'm just looking for a used .22 Hornet that I can cut up to build another .17 Ackley. I hate to buy a new one, but so far it looks like there is only about $50 difference between used pricer and dealer cost price.

Had to go wrong with Pac-Nor too. And it may save you a few bucks over others.

ML

Tylerw02

I know what you mean. The 17 MkIV started life as a CZ527 in 204, got it for $350. My 6ppc, no turn neck, started out as a CZ527 7.62X39 carbine, had to pay $480 for it. But they shure work great for the small cartridges.

Bill

I just wish I could get the regular .223 bolt-head to work with a Hornet.

You'd likely be happy with something from any of the people who make .17 barrels. I have .17cal. barrels by Douglas, PacNor, Wilson match, Shilen, and Montana Rifleman. They all shoot very well and I'd recommend any of them. There's a Lilja barrelled gun that hasn't been fired yet and a couple Pence barrels waiting to be chambered.....those two brands are supposed to be excellent also. The choice might boil down to what's available without too much of a wait. Lilja used to keep Rem. varmint contour .17 barrels in stock, you might give them a call.

Shilen - no complaints at all... I bought my first one in 1967 and several since.

Recently I had a Douglas in 17 Ackley Hornet. It was so soft it was worn out in 400 rounds. Douglas supplied a new one at no charge... it did the same thing - throat gone in 400 rounds with 12 grains of powder in a Hornet case... never again...

Lilja or Shilen for me...

I had a Douglas XX for mine never had an issue...its shooting great in its new owner's hands:D

My next one will probably still be a Shilen, though. They clean out much nicer than Douglas.

Back