12fpe RAW TM1000

Ammion

I received my 12fpe TM1000 (.177 cal) barrelled action (left hand) end of December. I was very eager to get this rifle competition ready – will compete with it in the Light Varmint Class at the World Cup in August (Czech Republic).

I made a dedicated benchrest stock from Cherry Wood (stock design and weight of the wood to meet the LV limit). I laminated 5 x 15mm thick pieces of wood for maximum stability and painted the final product. Set the regulator pressure at 90bar and balanced the hammer spring tension to this setting. Lastly set the trigger to my liking.

The attached target was shot outdoors in good conditions (not perfect but good). The high x count gave me the most pleasure - I am convinced this rifle will shoot full scores and even higher x count in perfect conditions.

Am I happy? ........... EXTREMELY, I have a smile on my face every time I squeeze the trigger – in my opinion you can’t ask for more than that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice . Did the target score out to 250 ? The rifle looks good . Good luck to you . Rick

Very nice Paul and a great score. My TM1000 is in the post and should be here in a week or so ;)

How exactly did you go about balancing the hammer spring to 90bar?

Brian

Nice looking gun and a shooter too. The only 12fpe TM that I've worked on wanted a reg setting of 1350psi, the same as yours.
Dan

Brian, you adjust the hammer spring to achieve the smallest extreme spread and standard deviation for that specific regulator pressure. You also want your average velocity to stay the same from the first 10 shot string to the last 10 shot string.

When you achieve this balance and your energy level is not what you want, you adjust the regulator and start all over with hammer spring tention. Time consuming excercise but well worth it.

Paul.

Last edited:
First Left Hand RAW Action I Have seen.

Paul,
WOW!
I didn't know Martin made the TM- in left hand actions also.

Great looking and shooting! Congratulations on your new TM-1000.

Paul

Brian, you adjust the hammer spring to achieve the smallest extreme spread and standard deviation for that specific regulator pressure. You also want your average velocity to stay the same from the first 10 shot string to the last 10 shot string.

When you achieve this balance and your energy level is not what you want, you adjust the regulator and start all over with hammer spring tention. Time consuming excercise but well worth it.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I'll practice that on my Theoben Rapid before having a go at the TM.

Brian

Looks like a Stormtrooper's sniper rifle :) Nice work on the front rest.
What are the specs on the barrel? That's shrouded right? Hard to tell in the pic. If so does the shroud make contact with the barrel via an alignment piece near the front?

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul,
WOW!
I didn't know Martin made the TM- in left hand actions also.

Great looking and shooting! Congratulations on your new TM-1000.

Paul

Yes Paul, I now have 3 left hand TM's. Last year June I received my first two.
TM0045 - 20fpe .20 cal for Heavy Varmint Class
TM0046 - 30fpe .22 cal for Open Class and 100m events
TM0048 - 12fpe .177 cal for Light Varmint

Martin also have an option 3" longer air tube that I fitted to my 30fpe rifle - now get 45 shots (imo what you need for a BR card).

Paul.

Will be interesting to see how these new breeds of Air Rifle go against the EV2's in Plzen for the ERASBF European Champs and WRABF World Cup.

Will be interesting to see how these new breeds of Air Rifle go against the EV2's in Plzen for the ERASBF European Champs and WRABF World Cup.

Bill, is Harry Fuller using his TM1000 for LV or HV? Think the last I heard it was set at 15fpe.

Paul

Bill, is Harry Fuller using his TM1000 for LV or HV? Think the last I heard it was set at 15fpe.

Paul

Hi Paul,
I have shot only one 25 m competition so far since getting my TM1000. We have very few comps in OZ, the next is in March.

In the comp I shot in last November I shot LV. The comp was open for HV or LV. As I found that all others were shooting LV, after conversation with Bill and another shooter I chose to take out the small hammer spring and wound the power back from 18 fpe to sub 12 LV. The reg was and is still set for 18 fpe. I shot the Baracuda Match pellets I had prepared for 18 fpe. The resulting system did not work well in the gusty wind conditions. ...

Since then I have been shooting the rifle at 14.4 fpe with 8.4 gr JSB which it shoots very well at 50 and 100 yards ( see 100 yd target down the page). Reg is still set for 18 fpe as it came and seems to come off at approx 130 bar.

As a matter for interest/ discussion in light of your post's data: It appears to me that after coming off the reg and passing through the self reg shot curve, power does not drop under 14.4 fpe until the reservoir pressure falls to about 80 bar. This seems to suggest to me that for LV/ 12 fpe the reg may be able to be set as low as 80 bar or less and that your 90 bar setting would seem to be a sound election.

I do not know if the transfer port in my rifle is of a different diameter than as for rifles built for LV.

Now a question for you Paul, or others,: How difficult is it to re-set the reg to lower value of say 80 or 90 bar; and what would be your procedure for doing so?

( The March shoot is I understand an LV shoot and the first of the team selection series for the World Championships in Brisbane OZ 2015 so I would like to have the rifle shooting its best at sub 12 fpe for this March shoot ).

Kind regards, Harry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Harry, yes March shoot is LV but it is not a qualifier the first qualifier is @ RBA Nationals in Aug/Sept, can u email if you are entering March match as i don't have you down as yet

Degas the gun first Harry. I do it by removing the hammer springs and placing a solid rod of plastic where the springs normally are. Tighten the hammer nut onto the plastic and this will drive the hammer into the exhaust valve holding it open and evacuating the gun.
Next, remove the air cylinder from the regulator. At the end of the reg is a nut screwed onto a shaft with an allen socket in it. Place an allen key in the shaft to keep it from turning and loosen the nut about 1/3 turn. If I remember correctly this will be about 200 psi.
Dan

Hi Paul,
I have shot only one 25 m competition so far since getting my TM1000. We have very few comps in OZ, the next is in March.

In the comp I shot in last November I shot LV. The comp was open for HV or LV. As I found that all others were shooting LV, after conversation with Bill and another shooter I chose to take out the small hammer spring and wound the power back from 18 fpe to sub 12 LV. The reg was and is still set for 18 fpe. I shot the Baracuda Match pellets I had prepared for 18 fpe. The resulting system did not work well in the gusty wind conditions. ...

Since then I have been shooting the rifle at 14.4 fpe with 8.4 gr JSB which it shoots very well at 50 and 100 yards ( see 100 yd target down the page). Reg is still set for 18 fpe as it came and seems to come off at approx 130 bar.

As a matter for interest/ discussion in light of your post's data: It appears to me that after coming off the reg and passing through the self reg shot curve, power does not drop under 14.4 fpe until the reservoir pressure falls to about 80 bar. This seems to suggest to me that for LV/ 12 fpe the reg may be able to be set as low as 80 bar or less and that your 90 bar setting would seem to be a sound election.

I do not know if the transfer port in my rifle is of a different diameter than as for rifles built for LV.

Now a question for you Paul, or others,: How difficult is it to re-set the reg to lower value of say 80 or 90 bar; and what would be your procedure for doing so?

( The March shoot is I understand an LV shoot and the first of the team selection series for the World Championships in Brisbane OZ 2015 so I would like to have the rifle shooting its best at sub 12 fpe for this March shoot ).

Kind regards, Harry.

Hi Paul,

Kind regards, Harry.

Hi Harry, as Dan explained - the regulator is very easy to adjust.

Paul

On the reg setting .... as above.

What I did though is to get a much bigger face dail guage and with the correct adaptors fit this to the bottom of the action for accurate adjusting.

Back