10x-III actions

skeetlee

Im not really up on the rimfire game, but I would like to build a custom 22LR . We have a local aspirin shoot here, and I want to build a rifle so I can play.
I want to build an affordable custom rifle in the hopes that it shoots well, and that it will bring my shop a little work.
Some of you may know I have opened up a shop recently and that I have been chambering lots of center fire barrels. I am building a few complete rifles as well. This little business of mine has been good. I haven't chambered any rim fires yet, so this will be my first.
The action I am looking at is the 10X-III . This action seems to be the most affordable custom action I have found. I am not apposed to using a Remington 40X, but im not sure I can buy a 40x any cheaper than I can the 10X-III??? What is the general though on these single shot 10X actions?
I haven't researched barrels much yet so any suggestions will be appreciated. As far as stocks go, I am thinking a McMillan. Bruno sells several models for 350$ or there about.
I have a couple different rimfire reamers , but to be honest I really don't know what reamer to use just yet.
I know rimfire rifles are supposed to be a little trickier to build than a centerfire rifle, but I am up for the challenge. I don't need the best to shoot these aspirin shoots, but I do hope to outshoot the factory Anschutz rifles that are always there. LOL!! thanks Lee

Unless you are very experienced in some of the "requirements" of some of these rimfire actions you'd be further ahead with Stiller's 2500X which requires zero fiddling.
The biggest mistale you can make is to assume most/much of what's known in CF translates directly.
Your best chance of getting a good result as a smith and shooter will propably be with a Shilen ratchet, they have been fairly consistant.

Last edited:
Lee, I put a 3lug 10x together this spring & have been very pleased with it. ive heard rumblings about lug wear but haven't noticed any myself after about a case of ammo though it. You'll also hear that they may need blue printing, whatever, but I did nothing with mine other than reshape the pin & change the fp spring. It shoots good.
As far as barrels go it's really the luck of the draw for me as I don't have a clue about lapping one. I screwed a Benchmark 3 groove on & it has shot well & won a little. Shilen Rachets are popular as are Muller's. The last 2 being the most popular & found at the top of all the equipment lists.
Any of the custom actions will serve you well. The key to it all in my opinion is ammo & barrel.
I really like the McMillen straight line stock. My TM stock is very good too & I prefer it.
Hope you decide to put one together & hopefully shoot some sanctioned matches too.
Take care,
Keith

Last edited:
Good RFBR barreled action at a minimum expenditure ... XIII action, Shilen Ratchet barrel, .225" reamer with 2 degree leade.

what are guys doing as far as bedding their actions? Glue ins? pillars?? screw and glue??? I have heard lots of different opinions on building rim fire rifles that shoot well. Some guys says its not really any different than centerfire rifle building, an then there are guys that claim otherwise. The way I see things, the bullet stays in the barrel longer with a rim fire compared to a center fire so vibration dampening has to be a serious concern. I also assume that using the proper chamber reamer for the given bore size would be another area of concern. I would then think that proper bedding and doing a good job on cutting the chamber would be similar to any rifle build. As far as reshaping firing pins, and reworking the actions, I don't know much about that. Im pretty handy, so im sure I can learn. Actually im looking forward to learning. thanks for the replies. Lee

I wouldn't worry

what are guys doing as far as bedding their actions? Glue ins? pillars?? screw and glue??? I have heard lots of different opinions on building rim fire rifles that shoot well. Some guys says its not really any different than centerfire rifle building, an then there are guys that claim otherwise. The way I see things, the bullet stays in the barrel longer with a rim fire compared to a center fire so vibration dampening has to be a serious concern. I also assume that using the proper chamber reamer for the given bore size would be another area of concern. I would then think that proper bedding and doing a good job on cutting the chamber would be similar to any rifle build. As far as reshaping firing pins, and reworking the actions, I don't know much about that. Im pretty handy, so im sure I can learn. Actually im looking forward to learning. thanks for the replies. Lee

much about skills not transferring. there are plenty of non pros who do their own work, such as keith and John who have made competitive rifles. You might want to look at the 1* 3 minute reamer Dave Kiff is offering. I bought one; a spiral grind that makes a very nice chamber. I think the 2* Calfee reamer is another of his diversions, personally for I have seen his chamber. They work and I have seen both chambers but I prefer the longer slope.

Pete

The main thing on the 10X actions is to make sure the action face is square and the lugs are square. The other thing to look for is to make sure that the cocking piece IS NOT bottoming out in the bottom of the v notch, when the bolt is decocked there should be a slight wiggle in the bolt handle, if not, then you need to deepen the v notch until there is. DO NOT take any material off the cocking piece !!!

Reamer, don't waste your money on any other reamer but a .225 2 degree that's all you'll ever need.

The other thing will be chamber depth, typically it will be somewhere between .135 and .150 that the shell will stick out. If using Eley ammo the rifling will engrave to the second band on the bullet.

What Paul said!!!! All the self proclaimed Experts don 't seam to win much on a National Level. A lot of people have ideas Just show some PROOF. Good "OLE" boys club excluded!!!

What's the general though of the new turbo 3 lug. any good? lee

If you want the best action out there you need to contact Jerry Stiller and buy one of his 3 lug Trident action. I have shot a Di Orio 3 lug and own a 10x 3 lug now and can tell you the Trident is much superior than the 10x.Plus you can talk to Jerry unlike those birds at 10x who will not return any calls.
Jeff Fountain
PS I now own 3 Tridents. Thats how much I like them.

And there are those single lugs

That keep on winning. Much of actions is the same as Automobilia, it's about the latest and bestest. Yeah, the Bestest is nice but is it that much better than the mid variety? Depends on one's likings and affordability I guess. Is a Haas a lot better than a 10L? Depends, I guess, eh?

P

If you want the best action out there you need to contact Jerry Stiller and buy one of his 3 lug Trident action. I have shot a Di Orio 3 lug and own a 10x 3 lug now and can tell you the Trident is much superior than the 10x.Plus you can talk to Jerry unlike those birds at 10x who will not return any calls.
Jeff Fountain
PS I now own 3 Tridents. Thats how much I like them.
Jerry also shows up at matches.
He was at the barn in March. Triple Crown at Kettlefoot over Memorial Day. The Nats over Labor Day. The man supports the sport and is accessible.

Back