10x acion adjustments

Dave B

I have a 10 lb 22lr built on a 10x action. I shoots well but there are several items that I wish were different. One item is pressure or tension that drives the firing pin. At least 1 round per
box of the lapua ammunition I'm using does not go off when struck by the firing pin. When I recock the action it always fires when struck the second time. As you can imagine this can kind of break your rhythm or concentration. Is there an adjustment?

I have a 10 lb 22lr built on a 10x action. I shoots well but there are several items that I wish were different. One item is pressure or tension that drives the firing pin. At least 1 round per
box of the lapua ammunition I'm using does not go off when struck by the firing pin. When I recock the action it always fires when struck the second time. As you can imagine this can kind of break your rhythm or concentration. Is there an adjustment?

Dave B,
10X makes a very nice action for the money. However, the striker/firing pin "springs" that are shipped in the bolt are not strong enough for good consistent ignition, IMO. Try contacting Mr. Jim Pepper by doing a search for his email or phone number. His replacement springs are around $5.00 each, plus postage and worth every penny. Unfortunately, you will need a special tool to install the heavier spring in the bolt. Both Team 10X and I believe Killoughs S.S. sells this tool that costs in the area of $60.00 bucks. IF I were you, I would purchase a few springs from Jim and they will last you a good many years. The special tool is handy to have, and you will be able to disassemble the bolt for cleaning, maintenance and spring replacement whenever required. John

10X Bolt tool (only two in stock): http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/accessories.html

Last edited:
Something else to check:

If your rifle has a Jewel trigger, take it apart and clean it. It is a very simple design and easy to assemble. I recently found mine was gummed up and causing misfires. I also stone the sides of the levers and side plates to reduce potential friction.

Pete

A few questions

How many rounds through the gun, reason being the first firing pins were a little soft and get shorter as used.
Has the bolt ever been cleaned, then you must have the tool to take it apart, if not good thing to do.
Good advice to get four or five springs from Jim and Pete said to clean your trigger, use lighter fluid.
Keep it clean!!

As has been said, go with a new spring first and above all. I shoot the action and many early ones, in particular, were shipped with less than ideal springs. I'ts cheap and easy.
The trigger comment is valid but I'd first, simply flush it out completely with lighter fluid after removing the stock. Also, make sure the hanger is tight, you'd be amazed how many have one screw that ends up being loose.
Lastly, make sure the interior of the bolt is clean and should be run without grease of any kind.

Thanks you fellas.

This gun has less than a carton (10 boxes) ammuntion fired through it. I tend to keep everything quite clean and maintained so it probably is a spring problem. I also may be the hardness or thickness of the rim of the ammunition I'm using. Either way, Thanks for the imput.
Dave in Southern Utah

Back