108 Bergers

JonathanK

I plan on shooting 108 Berger bts with Varget and 8208 XBR in a 6mmbr 1/8twist, and I havent heard alot about these bullets at mid to long range. Any input would be great!!

there aint much to tell...

they are great....try em jamed and jumping ...your gun will tell you what is best for IT!!!....Roger
PS...let us know about the 8208...I dont think it will work...but I was wrong one other time:D

108 gr. Bergers

I plan on shooting 108 Berger bts with Varget and 8208 XBR in a 6mmbr 1/8twist, and I havent heard alot about these bullets at mid to long range. Any input would be great!!

Let us know how you make out. I also have a 1 in 8 twist 6mmBR and am planning on trying the 108s with Varget. I had to jump the 105 Berger VLDs by .063 in my 1 in 7.5 twist to get them to shoot. I haven't tried the 108s yet. The 107 Sierra Match Kings did pretty well just touching the lands in the 1 in 7.5 but haven't tried them in the 1 in 8 yet. Both barrels are Kreiger LVs.

Lou Baccino

Thanks for info

I will let yall know how it goes with the Varget and 8208 at different seating depths. I have high hopes for the 8208 but it may be a little too fast, we will see.:D

Hey Expiper!!!
I've got 8 pounds coming in the mail.

107 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .243" 2.250" 26.0 2367 39,800 CUP 29.0C 2620 50,100 CUP
107 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon BL-C(2) .243" 2.250" 28.0 2454 38,100 CUP 30.0 2644 44,200 CUP
107 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon H335 .243" 2.250" 26.0 2482 43,200 CUP 28.0 2649 50,400 CUP
107 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon H4895 .243" 2.250" 24.5 2329 37,900 CUP 27.5 2605 49,800 CUP
107 GR. SIE HPBT IMR IMR 8208 XBR .243" 2.250" 24.0 2380 42,700 CUP 26.7 2555 50,400 CUP

Time will tell how well it does.:cool:
Lynn aka Waterboy

I shot the 108 Bergers and 108BT BIB's (a few matches) all last year at IBS in my LG and HG in 600 yard competition, but switched to VLD's during the Nationals because of the extreme winds in S.D.
When I started loading for the 108's I quickly learned they are much easier to tune than VLD's. In the 2 barrels I shot them in they did not seem to be sensitive to seating depth or powder charge like the VLD's. I could not see much difference in groups at 600 yards during tuning. But you will need to drop about 1 grain in powder compared to the VLD's due to longer bearing surface and extra weight. They show a consistent pattern where the VLD's lots of time's have flyers. By this I mean, if both the 108's and 105VLD's shoot a 2 inch 5 shot group at 600, the 108's will be evenly distributed in the 2 inch circle. Lots of the time the VLD's will have 3 or 4 in one inch and one or 2 flyers making the group 2 inches. But when the VLD's don't have a flyer, look out!, this is when most of the World Records have been set and have come from behind and won the match ( Yes, I am talking to you Mike Davis).
Mike and I talked about this subject last year. The 108BT's are great until the wind gets up. They seem to get blown around more than the VLD's. A 1/2 extra at 600 yards these days means the difference from winning or being put middle of the pack. So, the Ideal would be have 2 loads. One would be the 108's for mild days, and 105VLD's for those windy days. If you don't have time to tune the 105VLD's (and lots of the time this is tuff to do) stick to the 108's they will save you alot of headaches and will stick close to the VLD's in most conditions.
I almost forgot to mention. As the temp's and humidity got up in the summer time last year in NC, the 108's did not perform for me as good as they did during the cooler, less humid month's. I retuned them, but never got them to perform as good in the summer as I did in the winter and spring- even when there was no wind. I cannot explain this except maybe because they have more drag than the 105VLD's. The extra humity may have had more of an affect on the 108BT's than the slight difference in BC shows between the two bullets. The VLD's seem to bore through the wind and humity better than the 108BT's.
These finding are my own opinion based on many, many groups shot tuning and in competiton and in several barrels of various manufacturers. Hope this helps and does not add complications to your choice. Try both bullets before you buy alot of bullets, your rifle will let you know which it likes. Lots of the time, a particular barrel will shoot one well and not the other, a few will shoot both well. I have also found just about every match barrel will shot the 108BT's well, not all will shot the 105VLD's well.
Samuel Hall, Boonville, NC

Hey Expiper
The IMR 8208 XBR showed up in todays mail and I will give it a go in a pair of straight 6BR's and a pair of 6Dashers on Christmas day.I will give you a call.
Lynn

I shot the 108 Bergers and 108BT BIB's (a few matches) all last year at IBS in my LG and HG in 600 yard competition, but switched to VLD's during the Nationals because of the extreme winds in S.D.
When I started loading for the 108's I quickly learned they are much easier to tune than VLD's. In the 2 barrels I shot them in they did not seem to be sensitive to seating depth or powder charge like the VLD's. I could not see much difference in groups at 600 yards during tuning. But you will need to drop about 1 grain in powder compared to the VLD's due to longer bearing surface and extra weight. They show a consistent pattern where the VLD's lots of time's have flyers. By this I mean, if both the 108's and 105VLD's shoot a 2 inch 5 shot group at 600, the 108's will be evenly distributed in the 2 inch circle. Lots of the time the VLD's will have 3 or 4 in one inch and one or 2 flyers making the group 2 inches. But when the VLD's don't have a flyer, look out!, this is when most of the World Records have been set and have come from behind and won the match ( Yes, I am talking to you Mike Davis).
Mike and I talked about this subject last year. The 108BT's are great until the wind gets up. They seem to get blown around more than the VLD's. A 1/2 extra at 600 yards these days means the difference from winning or being put middle of the pack. So, the Ideal would be have 2 loads. One would be the 108's for mild days, and 105VLD's for those windy days. If you don't have time to tune the 105VLD's (and lots of the time this is tuff to do) stick to the 108's they will save you alot of headaches and will stick close to the VLD's in most conditions.
I almost forgot to mention. As the temp's and humidity got up in the summer time last year in NC, the 108's did not perform for me as good as they did during the cooler, less humid month's. I retuned them, but never got them to perform as good in the summer as I did in the winter and spring- even when there was no wind. I cannot explain this except maybe because they have more drag than the 105VLD's. The extra humity may have had more of an affect on the 108BT's than the slight difference in BC shows between the two bullets. The VLD's seem to bore through the wind and humity better than the 108BT's.
These finding are my own opinion based on many, many groups shot tuning and in competiton and in several barrels of various manufacturers. Hope this helps and does not add complications to your choice. Try both bullets before you buy alot of bullets, your rifle will let you know which it likes. Lots of the time, a particular barrel will shoot one well and not the other, a few will shoot both well. I have also found just about every match barrel will shot the 108BT's well, not all will shot the 105VLD's well.
Samuel Hall, Boonville, NC

This is as good a description of pros and cons of regular VS vld bullets as I've seen. The Voice Of Experience here.... :)

And Sam's right, WHEN YOU GET RID OF THE FLIERS using the vld bullets....... LOOK OUT!! :D

al

Cant wait to hear how it works

Hey Expiper
The IMR 8208 XBR showed up in todays mail and I will give it a go in a pair of straight 6BR's and a pair of 6Dashers on Christmas day.I will give you a call.
Lynn

for you. Hopefully the first weekend of the new year Ill be trying it too in a PPC and BR.

Back