105 vld target metplats

C

Cakes

Starting to get low on my supply of old stock 105 VLD targets with the smaller metplats. I had heard that around lot #2420 they had gone to a larger metplat and lowered the BC. Received a 100 to compare and in my opinion they are unusable. Lot # 4159, PN#24429. Weights were within .2 grains and base to ogove within 2 tho. but the metplats look like they had been sheared off with a knife!! Used to seeing something approaching 90 degrees give or take some but 75% of the box had a angle of between 15 and 40 degrees...very noticeable to the naked eye. If someone can tell me the tips don't matter I 'd like to hear from you and I don't have the time to get into a tipping die and trimming metplats. Is this a bad lot or common amongst the new lot 105's? Eric in DL

Eric,
I am not saying they should look as bad as you say they do, but you didn't say how far you shoot or what type of use you have for them. For other than very long distance BR or F-Class shooting they will probably serve quite well. Try sorting them base to tip and they will do even better.

Over the years I have shot some very ragged tipped bullets from a number of bullet brands and found it very hard to tell the difference on the target. Length sorting mitigates many of the BC differences you might encounter.

Eric,

We stand behind our quality and if you have bullets that you believe are not good we will exchange them at no cost to you. The first step is to contact Teresa Collins who handles returns. She can be reached directly at 714-447-5484 or at teresa.collins@bergerbullets.com. She will have some questions and will get the return process started.

Now setting that aside for a moment, the critical aspect of any meplat is the dimension from outside edge to outside edge. The flatness of the ogive does not influence drag. If the tips are consistently the same diameter but the ends of the bullets are at an angle there is no negative effect to drag and precision. This is due to the fact that the compressed air in front of a bullet traveling at supersonic speed and spinning at 250,000 (or so) RPM does not know that the tip is not flat.

I'll offer that you should shoot some to see how they perform. If they don't shoot for you then contact Teresa for an exchange. We will even replace the bullets you shot in your test. I know that you relayed that you are looking for small meplat Target bullets which we don't make anymore but you can choose form the VLD Hunting bullet which is exactly the same with a slightly thinner jacket or we can send you the new 105 gr Hybrid Target bullet which has a higher BC than the original VLD bullet. These are shooting very well in many rifles.

For those reading this thread who are confused about the meplat diameter change that is mentioned you can go to our blog to read an article about this change.

http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/2010/01/15/change-to-6mm-105-grain-vld-target-bullet/

Regards,
Eric Stecker
Berger Bullets

FYI- I usually shoot these 600/1000 for f-class. Did talk to Teresa @ Berger and she was most helpful. She did mention that there had been some production issues with slanted tips but she didn't recognize the lot # I gave her. As I have no way of measuring the internal opening of a meplat accurately I can only assume (which I don't like to do) that the slanted tips certainly don't help with the ballistics. I have tried the hybrids with good success, their meplats are very consistant and will probably push in that direction. Kudos to Berger for their quick and correct response. Eric in DL

Back