100yrd br rifle

D

darrel evans

Got the chance of a shahane thumb hole tracker stock??,
would someone be able to tell me the weight of one of these stocks??

Darrel

Last edited by a moderator:
The weight of Bills wooden stocks will vary a little, as with all wood. I'd ask the seller, and if it isn't finished, add that weight. Of course, being wood, a little weight can often be removed, too.

Probably more important is whether or not the sock you're looking at is within the rules for shooting sanctioned short-range BR matches. If they use the NBRSA or IBS rules in the UK, probably the "thumbhole tracker" is not allowed, as the taper on the bottom of the butt will not meet the rule.

Of course, being wood, it can always be put on the mill & reformed, but with a thumbhole design, that might not work. In any case, it is a lot of work...

While he shot some short-range benchrest, Bill Shehane's primary success & the basis for his stock business was 1,000 yard benchrest, where the stock rules are quite different -- pretty much, there aren't any.

The weight of Bills wooden stocks will vary a little, as with all wood. I'd ask the seller, and if it isn't finished, add that weight. Of course, being wood, a little weight can often be removed, too.

Probably more important is whether or not the sock you're looking at is within the rules for shooting sanctioned short-range BR matches. If they use the NBRSA or IBS rules in the UK, probably the "thumbhole tracker" is not allowed, as the taper on the bottom of the butt will not meet the rule.

Of course, being wood, it can always be put on the mill & reformed, but with a thumbhole design, that might not work. In any case, it is a lot of work...

While he shot some short-range benchrest, Bill Shehane's primary success & the basis for his stock business was 1,000 yard benchrest, where the stock rules are quite different -- pretty much, there aren't any.
Thank you for your very informative reply, I have sent an email to the chap who is selling the stock, just waiting for a reply as to the weight ,,
Rules,, Not to sure on this at the moment, but I will ask the question as to whether this stock complies to the rules,

Here in the uk it is very hard to find a dedicated 100yrd lv rifle,
I have got a Farley action, jewel trigger , and a blank Bartlien gain twist barrel, but no stock at the moment??.
I think that I would be looking at a delivery time of about six months from the USA??
Might be easier to sell all the bits and try and find one second hand for sale,,

All the best, Darrel

If you have to conform to IBS or NBSRA short range benchrest rules, that Tracker most likely isn't going to do it.

I'd check with Bob White at the Shooter's Corner to see if he has a stock that will fit your action. Failing that, you can order one from Kelbly's and wait till it's done.

Here in the uk it is very hard to find a dedicated 100yrd lv rifle,
I have got a Farley action, jewel trigger , and a blank Bartlien gain twist barrel, but no stock at the moment??.
I think that I would be looking at a delivery time of about six months from the USA??

Darrell, I believe Kelbly has all the needed licenses. At least, they did a few years ago, to Italy, and as far as U.S. Export goes, that should cover things. I don't know about the import laws in the U.K -- Here in the States, with non-leathal items like stocks, we just asume all the EU countries are similar.

There are a number of Benchrest shooters on the continent anyway, France and Italy for sure, and to the north, Sweden & Norway. Given the crazy U.S. current laws, that might be easier.

That siad: Kelbly's bought all of Lee Six's stock-making equipment a number of years back, improved it, and has been making and selling benchrest stocks in the States for a number of years. I have several. The wait time was not bad, either. And as I say, if a license is needed, they likely have it.

http://www.kelbly.com/stocks.html

They will of course be familiar with a Farley action -- indeed, anything concerning benchrest equipment.

A second, fall-back option if Kelbly's can't help (hard to imagine) might be to make contact with Dave Tooley. I don't believe he is doing much business in the U.K. anymore, but for a time, he did a fair bit, and might know a gunsmith/supplier in the U.K who could help you out.

Like Bill, people think of Dave as a 1K shooter -- he is a Silver Level Long Range Marksman, but he's got some short-range Hall of Fame points, too.

Good luck with it,

Charles

Last edited:
I did

This to this same stock successfully...Gary Long did the actual work. It was for a BAT action. He milled the correct butt stock taper and finished it. Still have it.

Darrell, I believe Kelbly has all the needed licenses. At least, they did a few years ago, to Italy, and as far as U.S. Export goes, that should cover things. I don't know about the import laws in the U.K -- Here in the States, with non-leathal items like stocks, we just asume all the EU countries are similar.

There are a number of Benchrest shooters on the continent anyway, France and Italy for sure, and to the north, Sweden & Norway. Given the crazy U.S. current laws, that might be easier.

That siad: Kelbly's bought all of Lee Six's stock-making equipment a number of years back, improved it, and has been making and selling benchrest stocks in the States for a number of years. I have several. The wait time was not bad, either. And as I say, if a license is needed, they likely have it.

http://www.kelbly.com/stocks.html

They will of course be familiar with a Farley action -- indeed, anything concerning benchrest equipment.

A second, fall-back option if Kelbly's can't help (hard to imagine) might be to make contact with Dave Tooley. I don't believe he is doing much business in the U.K. anymore, but for a time, he did a fair bit, and might know a gunsmith/supplier in the U.K who could help you out.

Like Bill, people think of Dave as a 1K shooter -- he is a Silver Level Long Range Marksman, but he's got some short-range Hall of Fame points, too.

Good luck with it,

Charles
I am going to order one from Kelblys, I do like the look of the TMBR stock,,
Thank you for your reply, hope to get some kind of an answer later on in the week??.

Darrel

No joy??

Well I have sent a few e-mails off this week, but not had any success in finding a stock for my Farley action,,
I did have a nice reply from speedy Gonzalez, but still no joy as of yet??.

Might sell the rifle that I have got and just import one from the usa.

Darrel

Well I have sent a few e-mails off this week, but not had any success in finding a stock for my Farley action,,
I did have a nice reply from speedy Gonzalez, but still no joy as of yet??.

Might sell the rifle that I have got and just import one from the usa.

Darrel

Hi Darrel have you contacted Vince Bottomley in the UK his email address is on the Target Shooter website he may know of something that is available in the UK which would save some time.

Ian

Hi Darrel have you contacted Vince Bottomley in the UK his email address is on the Target Shooter website he may know of something that is available in the UK which would save some time.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Vince here - we are all trying to help Darrel and in fact, I may now have a stock for him - are you reading this Darrel? E-mail me.

Back