1000yd Bench Gun

Tod, believe you're right. IIRC though, it's never happened that the membership rejected a temporary rule. One was restored in Point-Blank (the no moving the tuner while at the bench rule), but that took an extra year & new petition.

Anyway, it all depends on what happens with the vote.

Still really new to all this as you know.. I am having a break made for the gun as the gunsmith suggested. I read the complete rule book last night and it says that Breaks are allowed on LG and HG the way I read it.. I could be wrong though lol wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks
Brandon

Page 29-30 of the IBS Rule Book

It states that if it is in Bold then it is a 2010-11 rule change.

B) Heavy Gun Class:
There are no restrictions for the rifle being used as to weight or sights; caliber is restricted to .40 or less.
Muzzle brakes are allowed. Rifles are fired utilizing sand bag front rests which may be supported on a
pedestal that does not co-act with the sand bag to restrict upward and/or rearward movement, and rear
rests comprised of a sand bag which may be attached to a pedestal and that supports the rifle between the
rear of the pistol grip and the toe of the butt stock.

C) Light Gun Class:
1) Guns shooting in the light gun class weigh no more than 17 pounds, including scope or other sighting
devices.
2) The rear rest must not be mechanical in nature. Bunny ear type similar bags are acceptable.
3) Muzzle brakes may be used, but they may not be of a "clamshell" or any other design that exit gases to
the rear.

Like i said though I am very new to 1000yd. So if you can't use a break in HG tell me so I can call the gunsmith and have a cap made. Because i plan on shooting in both classes for a while to get more gun time.

Thanks
Brandon

The point of Tod's remark is we won't know if the temporary rule change for 2011 is permanent or not until the IBS membership votes on it later this winter. If history is any guide, they will approve it.

FWIW, I'd add that if you are using a Dasher, you don't need a brake. Some argue brakes will degrade accuracy just a little. Others that they don't. I shot the equivalent of a 6XC (bit bigger than a Dasher) for a couple of years without a brake, & never felt I needed one. Don't know anyone who argues that a brake is *more* accurate, at least, from a mechanical perspective. I guess you could argue that it might cut down on flinching. But a 17-pound Dasher with 105s isn't going to kick any more than a 10.5 pound PPC.

wait on the membership vote for the cap...
as of now all is good...
mike in co
Like i said though I am very new to 1000yd. So if you can't use a break in HG tell me so I can call the gunsmith and have a cap made. Because i plan on shooting in both classes for a while to get more gun time.

Thanks
Brandon

The guys at Baity's said that the brake would be the difference in seeing the sighter rounds impact and having to rely on a spotter to tell you where they impact. Because a foot to the left to me may be 2 feet to the spotter. His theory made since that's why I took his advice and went with a break.

Thanks
Brandon

Also keep in mind that removing a tuner and putting a cap on can "ADVERSELY" affect your tune-

and vice-versa.

On a Dasher no way. I shot a 300 wsm HG with a break at williamsport and took it off at the WV matches and it shot the same,I seriously doubt it would effect a dasher in HG.BTW the fella the broke 2 world record agg's at pa was shooting a dasher HG witha break
Tod is correct though,IT COULD change during the vote at the winter meeting.
Also,I didn't have a cap made for the barrel,being pretty doesn't make it shoot better!Its a waste of money.

Your Caldwell rest will work OK to get started but I would forsee a more stable platform in your future; depending on how deep your pockets are:) The tops tend to be a bit wobbly. Keep an eye on the handle that tightens the stem. There is a considerable amount of looseness in their adjustible windage top. You might also want to find some type of larger steel or heavy aluminum base to attach it to. A lead "shot" bag across the rear leg will increase stability. Once you start attending matches, you will get a better idea of what you might want for the future. Good luck
Rich De

As far as changing tune with vs without a brake (see...I can spell too) My 1st year in 1K...300 WBY...shot the same gun in both classes....I did a little research on my groups......my yearlong HG groups were basicly the same size as my LG groups.....so I did a test. The last shoot I attended in Iowa that year I shot in LG without the brake in the afternoon......2.7xx LG ....followed by a 9 shot 3" group in HG with a wild flyer to bump the group to around 9". but that tube by then had 1200 rounds through it....run hard and put away wet. 2.7" is the smallest I have ever shot....ever. Maybe It was a fluke.

As far as a brake degrading accuracy in a Dasher....well....it just WRECKED my groups at this years IBS 1K nats!! All 3 targets. ;) :D :)

Any and ALL info is very appreciated. I just got off the phone with a very helpful gentleman at Baity's Custom Gunworks. I am going to talk to him in person this Saturday. So hopefully I will have the ball rolling on this project! I figure some things I will just have to learn through trial and error. So I will hopefully see some of you at Butner next year!!

Thanks
Brandon

Upgrade.

It will make a big difference.

Like Matts52 said taking the break of won't hurt you accuracy, it may help. The Hoovers took there breaks off in HG. and shot better. thats one reason I'm not a fan of breaks. Charles I believe I told you that at the National in North Carolina one year.

Joe Salt

Joe, I believe you did. Phil is of the same opinion -- or IIRC, he did some testing, and definitely thinks they hurt.

As far as Brandon is concerned, Butner uses pits, so recovering from recoil to see your sighter is not an issue. But there are ranges that don't have pits. Still, as I mentioned earlier, I've shot a smallish 6mm -- bigger than a Dasher -- that has no brake, and I've had no trouble with my sighters. You have over a second to get back on the scope. You do have trouble seeing sighters with a small 6mm when it is damp or misty, brake or no brake.

a .338 LG is an entirely different proposition.

I have never had trouble seeing the splash on the berm, and I mostly shoot a 300 wby. Never had trouble event w/o the break, even with the strait 40x leupold. Breaks for me are strictly a speed shooting aid.

Your right Todd, I shoot a 15.71 LB. light gun in 300 WSM w/o a break and never had a problem seeing the splash. But in some conditions the 6 Dasher doesen't make the splash like the 30's do. That could be a problem without any recoil. If you are down in the pits you can see the 6mm get swallowed up by the dirt. No splash! Then your at the mercy of a good pit crew to get you on. Without pits you better have someone behind you with good eye's.

Joe Salt

Okay Just ordered the scope NightForce 12-42-56 NP-2DD Reticle!

Well, there goes your last excuse.

Now, when you beat us, we'll say "With such a fine rig, 'bout what we expected." But when we beat you, we'll say "Boy, thank God that guy can't shoot." ;-)

Hope you put equal bucks in your child's college fund! (You're suppose to feel guilty. Since we'll be shooting together, I'm trying to get an edge. Never too early.)

Charles
LOL Hope yall are saying "With such a fine rig, 'bout what we expected."

What kind of stool would you recomend i get to shoot at Butner?

What a Good Guy!

I finally remember the guy that let me shoot his 308 Norma at Hawks Ridge that gave me the 1000yd bug. His name is Greg Culpepper! Man what a good guy, I came down that day to watch the shooting and started talking to Greg. He talked me into shooting his gun. I was hooked! Big thanks to Greg and big thanks to all you guys on here helping me with this build process! Looking forward to shooting with a good bunch of folks like Greg.
Thanks
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm flattered. I'm happy to see that you've taken the plunge. You're going to learn alot from shooting with the guys at Butner. Your choice of a 6mm is fortunate as you will have a great tool for 600 yd BR and F Class as well (with the brake screwed off). The 600 yd format has much to recommend it as with a four target agg for light and heavy, you just get to shoot more (although NC 1000 runs two match Saturdays). Check out the schedules for Piedmont and Bridgeville on the IBS web page. The North State Shooting Club hosts NRA Long Range matches at Butner also and F Class is always a popular option at them. I haven't been shooting 1K BR at Butner (you can't shoot everything, I've tried) but I hope I'll have the pleasure of shooting with you again at Piedmont or Butner/NSSC. Heck, I might even get you interested in Palma!

Best regards

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back