1000 yard range in north central Florida?

W

willdixon

Hi guys -

Is there a 1000 yard official or unofficial benchrest rifle range anywhere in north Central Florida. I'm not looking for a purely organized competition location, but also a 1000 yard range where I can informally go tweak the Sharps 50/90 (which I am going to buy shortly).

I live in Mayo, Florida.

Thank you very much.

I have a friend with a 45/120 which he loads with paper patched projectiles. Maybe you should come to Australia & shoot with him. I'm not sure about those guns where you can see the parts moving before it goes bang.

1000 Yard Range in North Central Florida?

I appreciate the kind offer, John, but I'm just not too sure. . . .

The last Yank who came down there with a 45/110 - that Quigley fellow - was not treated very hospitably by the locals, to say the least - beaten up over and over, shot at and missed, shot at and hit, left to die out in the desert. . . .

I think I'd best stay here on my own turf!

Thanks anyway!

1000 Yard Range in North Central Florida?

Thank you very much, Octopus (!) but the Tampa area is too far for me to drive very often. It'd take me most of a day, just getting there - I need a shooting place up here around Gainesville, Tallahassee or Jacksonville.

Thanks anyway!

There are so few 1000 yd ranges in the US in total, good luck in finding one in 500 miles of your state. Sad but true. But if you come to Virginia I have a private 1000 yd range on my property that I will let you use.

Hi Plugger -

Thanks for the kind offer, but VIRGINIA'S a bit far for me. But my daughter is a local RE broker with lots of farmer friends; I'll get her to find a spot for me shortly.

Isn't......

the Gulf of Mexico west of Tampa??????????????

One Flyer - I think he meant EAST of Tampa. Yes, Tampa is on the Gulf.

Stryker60 - Thank you very much. There are no official ranges anywhere near me except the short one in Lake City, and it's not even on that list at all. But I'll find a few Sharps guys somewhere near me, and we'll find a 1000 yard shooting place, and have just as much fun! The entire Sharps thing to me will be seeing just how accurate I can make a 45/110 or 50/90 by tweaking the rifle, tweaking the loads and tweaking my skills. THAT'S what's fun to me.

Gene

willdixon...I live about 15 miles south of you near CR-252 and east of SH-129 and also would like to find a range,public or private,for shooting long range. I have a pair of Armalites one chambered in .50BMG and the other in .338 Lapua Mag but no place to truly test them. It's a shame with all the open trerritory we have in our area that no rifle ranges are on them. I also spend quite a bit of time at the Lake City Forestry Range but 200 yards is only good for zeroing those big bore rifles and testing reloads. If I ever get a buyer on my place I plan on moving to the Ozarks in southeast Oklahoma on at least 100 acres then put in my own 1000 yard range. But selling land in Florida now is a real trick. Maybe we can meet sometime and talk guns..........

willdixon and DutchH, I live So. of Live Oak in O'brien. I'm a member over at Bradford Sporting Farm in Brooker, Fl. It's about 60 miles S.E. of me. We have out to 850 yards. To shoot on the longrange you have to qualifiy which cost $20.00 and then you pay by the hour. It gets a little exspensive for the day. The Q deal is a 1 time thing. I've shot at Manatee alot, when I lived down south I was there every other weekend shooting thier shoots, traveling 190 miles 1 way. I run down there from here about every 4-6 months. Blakely, Ga has out to 2200 meters and then you have Cool ACres in Swainsboro, Ga. Eric has out to 1200 yards. The 50 BMG club shoots there. I'm going to Blakely this weekend to shoot 1000 yard F-Class. Bradford may be just what you guys are looking for.

Some of the shooters from here in Ky. go down to a range around Titusville or Mins Fl. for long range matches.

willdixon and DutchH, I live So. of Live Oak in O'brien. I'm a member over at Bradford Sporting Farm in Brooker, Fl. It's about 60 miles S.E. of me. We have out to 850 yards. To shoot on the longrange you have to qualifiy which cost $20.00 and then you pay by the hour. It gets a little exspensive for the day. The Q deal is a 1 time thing. I've shot at Manatee alot, when I lived down south I was there every other weekend shooting thier shoots, traveling 190 miles 1 way. I run down there from here about every 4-6 months. Blakely, Ga has out to 2200 meters and then you have Cool ACres in Swainsboro, Ga. Eric has out to 1200 yards. The 50 BMG club shoots there. I'm going to Blakely this weekend to shoot 1000 yard F-Class. Bradford may be just what you guys are looking for.

DGD6MM....Richard awhile back sent out an email that he will not allow .338 LM & .50BMG rifles to be used on the Bradford Sporting Farm. I guess they were knocking out his steel targets. I'll check on the Georgia ranges...Thanks

I heard they have a new long range in Old Town south of us on the gulf coast. Have you heard anything about it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
DutchH,
I have not heard of a longrange near Old Town. I've shot both .338 Lapua's and 50 BMG's on Bradford's longrange. If they have outted them they will be hurting themselves in the longrun. I would call and ask if you can still shoot them there. I am not sure, but you may have what Rick sent you back in the email mistakened for what they allow shot in the Tac shoots. They do not allow anything bigger then .300 WM to shoot their AR500. That is the only restriction on that range that I'm aware of.

gerald,
There is a 1000 yard range west of Daytona. I can't remember the name of it. The membership is a little pricey for me.

There's a 1000 yard range 3 hours from you in Blakely, Ga. at the American International Marksmanship Academy. They also have a 2400 meter unknown distance range there too. http://www.marksmanshipacademy.com/

There is also an 800 yard range located at Parkers Gunshop just outside Pearson, Ga. It's about 2 hours from you. Open range, no membership or fee. We have 600 yard score shoots there once a month.

Back