1000 yard hog killer?

B

BRUNO2

I want to hear everyones opinions on what would be the best cartridge for 1000 yard groundhog hunting. Something i can take up to the local matches as well.
Stick factory or go wildcat?
6x47?
6.5x284?
6BR? just everything....
Lets hear it!

I like the 6.5-284 for 1000 plus yard critter gettin. I haven't scored that far out with the 6BR yet, but will be workin on it again this spring.

Dont forget about the .260 as well. I have an improved version but if I were to do it again I would probably stay with the original (non-improved) for less hassle, longer brass life, less wasted components, and longer barrel life.

As I explain to my customers, every choice you make is a compromise.

What's the three most important things you want in this rifle? Answer that and you'll have some idea what you want. weight? velocity? barrel life?stock?recoil?caliber? the bigger the bullet the bigger the divot at 1000yds.

Dave

I got my PD at 1107 with a 6.5x284. The smallest bullet I would go, is 140ish in 6.5. And what Tooley said.

I like a 6mmAI 10 tw barrel shooting a 87 Vmax at 3600+ f/s makes a good all around Hog gun, from 0 to 1000 yds+, but it is hard on the barrels.

I have gone to the 6BR 12 tw shoot 70 gr Blitz Kings at 3500 f/s, because most of my shooting is inside 600 yds.

If you are going to do alot of very long range shooting you need someting that makes a big hit on the ground, like Tooley said.

I like my set up, It ia a Hall action, NF 8x32, with 3 barrels 22-250AI, 6BR, and 6BRX. And looking to add a 6MMAI barrel also. Then you can have them all.

Mark Schronce

The best long range groundhog rifle I have used/seen...

is a 9 twist 7mm shooting 162 AMAXs at 3200 fps or better. The bullets are devastating and accurate. I never shot such a rifle in competition but mine are purpose built for hunting. I believe the bullets top out (read, blow up) at around 3400 fps so a 7 UltraMag is too big. The best chamberings would be a 7 STW or a 7 Boo Boo. I believe Dave Tooley has had success with the 7 Boo Boo in competition using 175 MatchKings. Since the seating depths are similar, you could shoot the 162s for varminting and the 175s for matches. The advantage of the Boo Boo is better brass and a loaded round that is shorter and will fit in a magnum magazine.

The importance of a high BC bullet that will open up and deliver sufficient force at beyond 1000 yards makes the smaller calibers insufficient in my opinion. You can hit the varmint but will it stay where it was hit is the important question. I have dispatched many groundhogs at 1000 to 1300 yards with my 7mms with very few that don't stay put.

This year was the first year using the 7mm 162 AMAX on deer and it easily dispatched one at 1150 yards. The bullet opened up and the deer ended up pretty much where it was hit.

If your goal is to dispatch groundhogs at 1000 yards and beyond build the 7mm.

I agree with the larger cases at long range. I made myself a 7 wsw heavy barrel block rifle shoot the 180 bergers. Shooting at 800 to more range the rifles are very acurate and with the big bullets when you miss there is no doubt where the bullet hits. I used to shoot a 6 ackley {a very good gun } but at the longer distances you couldnt always spot the bullet impact.
glenn

1000ydhogs

I would consider 30 cal. such as the 300 wsm varmiter. It is capable of 4200 fps. with the 110 v-maxs and 4100 with 125's. Richard Franklin kills hogs at long range by the truck loads with this caliber. Richardscustomrifles.com. to see some video clips

Seems to me you are giving up too much BC with those light .30 cal bullets. And groundhogs by the "truckload" at over 1,000yds.:rolleyes:
Rich De

How about i just front for a 50 cal and be said and done with it hahaha.

6 X 47 1000 yards hog killer??

I personally thing this is bit too optimistic. Small calibre, no flags, range finders accuracy,,,,??? I have nothing else to say.

Shoot well
Peter

Dj

I would consider 30 cal. such as the 300 wsm varmiter. It is capable of 4200 fps. with the 110 v-maxs and 4100 with 125's. Richard Franklin kills hogs at long range by the truck loads with this caliber. Richardscustomrifles.com. to see some video clips

We don't know everything and someone must know what probably none of the rest of us know. That's how one can get 4200-4100fps from 300WSM?

Shoot well
Peter

Amax

In the 6mm, I would go 243/6X47L or 6XC and the 105gr Amax. 6.5 would be a 6.5 Mystic/260AI and 140gr Amax. 7mm would be a 7Mystic/280 reg or AI/284 and the 162gr Amax. Push each bullet to at least 2900fps.

The poly tip and thin jacket really help with bullet expansion at LR.

I didn't include the 80gr Amax and a 22/250 because it might be a bit light.

Personally, I like the 6.5 and 7mm for LR varmint hunting.

Jerry

Back