100 yards or 150 yards

I

ifldned

22lr benchrest shooters, I think this class is overrun with the most knowledable and experienced shooters in the shooting fraterinity. I would like your opinion on if our shooting range should be extented to 100 and maybe 150 yards, as opposed to the 50 yards we are shooting currently?
ifldned

Of the six ranges I normally shoot here in NC,VA and TN,five ranges would require moving a mountain to increase the shooting distance to even 75 yards.

We can't even get 50 meters on the range we use. Fifty yards is the limit. We also have a very large centerfire benchrest range where we could shoot up to 200 meters, but it's a bit crazy to shoot rimfire at 100 there due to strong winds much of the time. Even the centerfire shooters have a tough time there. We'd also need 8-10 foot tall wind flags, due to the raised firing line.

JP

I'de go for 50 Meters, before I would extend to 100 yards. That extra yardage, means more work for the mowing crew, and they think they are already over worked.

shooting rimfire at 100-200 yds is rewarding. often the bullet can be seen via the scope en route, minimizing wasting of ammo to establish elevation dope. engineers typically exaggerate a potential source of error to better study it. Here you exaggerate the effect of wind, thus in a relative sense minimizing the error due to less than stellar ammo. A potential end to the absurd expense of 'good' ammo. The wave of enthusiasm for 'tactical' rimfire matches speaks to this enquiry. A sporter BR rifle is capable of minute of old milwaukee at 200 yds routinely. rifles which shoot a quarter inch and worse at 50 may be more rewarding at distance, thus becoming useful for something. Seymour Fish

Our Club is fortunate enough to have seven ranges one of which is 600 yards long. We shoot 22LR at 200 yards once a month and 100 yards twice a month. I think your Club would find that the longer range 22LR shooting is both fun and frustrating.

I would expand you range if that is your question.

George

Hi If,
I have always shot rimfire br at 50 yds. This past Friday we all moved out to 100yds....and man was it fun! I am a dedicated 50 yd ARA and NSBR shooter. I stuck a half dozen orange 1/2" dots around the 100yd. smallbore target. I shot 5-shot groups at all of them before going for score. It's obviously much more difficult to shoot at 100yds. but is really worthwhile to avoid getting caught in a rut.
best,t.

I returned to shooting after a 25 year hiatus. I tested the new ammo and have shot 5 shot groups at 1.05 inches at 200 yards using Eley Black with EPS bullet, with a 54.18 Anshutz using a Osprey 10-40x scope. I have Leupold and Weaver T target scopes in my safe just sitting there. This is not even my # 1 rifle. It is a Walter Womack 52 Winchester full custom with a 25x Lyman Supertarget scope. I think we can raise the bar for 22lr benchrest way higher than it is now. I just returned from the range and I said to my self "I wasn't going to leave until I hit a .75 inch dot at 200 yards. The wind was swirling with a tailwind of 3-7 mph, as I use a anemometer. I hit the dot after 25 shots. I would shoot three rounds and check the impact and make adjustments and calculations in my mind. I'm shooting with 4 wind flags. We have to always go beyond our limits. Ifldned

We can't even get 50 meters on the range we use. Fifty yards is the limit. We also have a very large centerfire benchrest range where we could shoot up to 200 meters, but it's a bit crazy to shoot rimfire at 100 there due to strong winds much of the time. Even the centerfire shooters have a tough time there. We'd also need 8-10 foot tall wind flags, due to the raised firing line.

JP

Schedule a 100 yard .22 rimfire match and Pete Wass and I will come down with flags. It's a challenging range at times but would be fun to try. --Greg

200 yard problem . . .

I don't know of any standard course of fire for 150 yards. Outdoors it's 25, 50, 100. 200. 300, 500. 600 and 1000 yards. One exception would be Centerfire metallic silhouette when the shot at 200, 300, 485 & 500 meters.

We just finished building a 200 yard range at our club last year. Last week our members put up 6 new concrete benches. Looks good, but getting our rimfire shooters interested seems to be a problem. Last year we scheduled some bechrest rimfire metallic silhouette matches: Chickens at 60, Pigs at 100, Turkeys at 125 and Rams at 200 yards.

We had very poor turnouts. We have about 25 local rimfire nuts in our club and we never got more than 9 out to shot those 200 yard Rams. Seems the problem was, and still is, that we scheduled the matches on Saturdays before our 25-50 yard USBR matches, on Sunday. The club members did not want to move their elevation adjustments up for 200 yards, then try to get a 25/50 yard zero the next day.

We shot the last two matches with all the animals at 100 yards, and still were not able to round up 10 shooters.

Our first match this year will be on July 10th. and we will try something different. Rather than the standard 40 shot match, we will have a 20 shot match for Sporters and Semi-Autos. Chickens at 60 yards and Pigs at 100 yards. And, an open class for Unlimited rifles: Turkeys at 125 yards and Rams at 200. If that don't attract them, we'll try something else next year.

Getting people out to shoot with us in a match ain't easy, is it.

Joe Haller

Seymour,
Thanks for pointing out that equipment that is not of, "the sky is the limit" quality can get quality results at 200 yards. I like the feeling of letting a shot go,and for a moment you really don't know where it is going to go. It's like gambling at a crap or roulette table. And a good shot seems all that much more rewarding.
ifldned

Last edited by a moderator:
Ifldned, that's the spirit ! same feeling as loosing an arrow or watching the vortex of a centerfire bullet via some BigEyes. Letting it go is in the same vein as letting the gun work, rather than mentally forcing it, certainly improves the quality of 'hold', and consistency thereof. Though seemingly irrelevant in BR....... ??? Joe, I think the reason you dont get many folks shooting on out at distance with BR rigs is lack of come-ups in typical 50 yard optical systems ( lack of mil-dots.) Not likely anyone will have the nerve to monkey with a 50 yd scope/rifle system that is shooting. Here is a great opportunity for everybody with a second BR rifle that doesnt quite cut the mustard at 50---Just turn it into a designated longrange rig with 20 moa slope base or burris posi-slign inserts, throw on a mildot scope (cheap one works fine), ballistic mildot, etc, and go play. I like your use of silhouettes out to 200. stale hot beers are damn fine too. We do real well at 180 yds with bulk federal. We seek to learn the mysteries of the wind . about 500 rds worth of study twice a week. Beats heck out of hoarding the 'good ammo' for the 'big shoot' like old women. (running for cover). Seymour Fish

no stickin scopes

Fred J,
I share your appreciation and high regard for persons who can shoot extremely well with iron sights. And shooting standing there isn't much advantage at most distances. But I think you would even admit, you can't hit a fly with a 22lr at 100 yards with iron. I'm basing this on the premise you can't hit what you can't see.
ifldned

Back