10/22 or Lilja or Shillen or whoever

C

Changeling

I realize you guys think that anything not associated with a bolt action is a ridiculous type question/type subject, but I have a barrel question for 22 caliber firearms, my question is associated with the 10/22. So, if you feel you are not knowledgeable enough to answer without mentioning a bolt action, just stay quite, no one will notice!

I have a 10/22 that I am trying to squeeze out all the accuracy I can for squirrel hunting. The Volquartsen fiber barrel I am currently using is way to light in the front so I need to go to another barrel.

I realize that almost all the 10/22 barrels are made by Lothar Whalter for the various companies. However I do not know who makes the best barrel for the 10/22 at a custom level.
With out criticism can you please expound on other than the barrels that originated as Lothar Walther and there attributes?

It would be appreciated.

Best 10/22 barrel

volquartsen stainless with muzzle brake

Changeling:

I have a 10-22 and have replaced the barrel in an attempt to make a sporter out of it. I bought a .920 diameter, 20" SS Green Mountain barrel. After bedding it in a wood 10-22 stock and mounting a Weaver T-36 on it, I was able to get some .300 inch groups at 50 yards. I even shot a practice RBA target and shot a 245 - 10X with it. I know that this is not a Shilen or Lilja barrel, but you might want to take a look at the Green Mountain barrel. They are pretty good and cost about 1/3 of what a Lilja or Shilen will cost.
Just my experience..

Dave

Mine has a Shilen barrel and a Jewell trigger and it ain't got no flies on it. You may pay a little more initially, but it should last a lifetime.
Butch

Mine has a threaded Shilen. A couple months ago in practice I shot a 250 on the RBA target can't remember X count. Only shot it a few times in RBA matches, a 244 and a 245 highest so far. Best X count in a match was 14x I believe. Nice if you are trying to run a good condition in a match. For squirrel hunting though I would go with the Green Mountain. Very accurate and the price would be hard to beat.

Dale

hey

I realize you guys think that anything not associated with a bolt action is a ridiculous type question/type subject, but I have a barrel question for 22 caliber firearms, my question is associated with the 10/22. So, if you feel you are not knowledgeable enough to answer without mentioning a bolt action, just stay quite, no one will notice!

I have a 10/22 that I am trying to squeeze out all the accuracy I can for squirrel hunting. The Volquartsen fiber barrel I am currently using is way to light in the front so I need to go to another barrel.

I realize that almost all the 10/22 barrels are made by Lothar Whalter for the various companies. However I do not know who makes the best barrel for the 10/22 at a custom level.
With out criticism can you please expound on other than the barrels that originated as Lothar Walther and there attributes?

It would be appreciated.

Its squirrel hunting not matches bed it put a trigger in it maybe pillar bed it you can kill a squirrel with a sling shot

My buddy Bernie(BHP) on here has a 10/22 with a Green Mountain barrel. He shot a 243 I believe USBR target with it. That's one of the best scores ever shot with a 10/22 at 50yds that I know of.

I have a Lilja and can do 250's @ 25 on USBR with X count in 20's.
@ 50 she gives up to the bolts and it took 4 or 5 stocks and bedding jobs.
I have many Liljas and no bad ones. They do cost $$ though.
For hunting?? GM.
10/22 will waste a lot of jack - they are fun but??
Lilja,CPC bolt,KIDD trigger,T-36 and over 1500 into it??
Worth it???
It does kick other 10/22's though.

Could've had a V8!!!:eek:

Bernie shot the 243 USBR at 50yds. That's about the equivalent of 2100ARA target. Not too shabby for a 10/22.

Colt 45, myself and another shooting buddy have tried a couple different barrels. Colt had a Volquartsen and it just would not group for anything. Our other shooting buddy ended up getting a GM and it shot very well. Needless to say the three of us ended up with GM's, and for the money, I dont think you could beat em. You could go out and spend a lot more but might or might not end up with a better barrel. Kind of a crap shoot.

barrels

Changeling
daletheman is 100% correct.You got some good info and advice here,which is a bit surprising considering your attitude..........."So, if you feel you are not knowledgeable enough to answer without mentioning a bolt action, just stay quite, no one will notice" BTW...that's Quiet.
Colt.45

I've found Shilen, Lilja and Green Mtn. to be top quality barrels. The Green Mtn. barrel is probably the best buy, but my Shilen bull barrel has served me very well for more than 10 years.

Picher

A re-worked barrel will run with the best out there at a fraction of the cost. I know i build them. the only ones that will hang in the same range are Lilja, Shilen, and Douglas. the cost of a re-work is less than the cost of a GM that and finding a GM right now is gonna be tough with Rick BURIED in Military contracts.

a reworked barrel consists of a factory barrel that has been set back .200" at the chamber end and re-chambered with a better reamer. in my case i also re-crown them to 11 degrees and hand lap the crown. this "fixes" whats wrong with the factory barrel. i'm far from the only game in town when it comes to re-works. Randy at CPC and Rimfire technoligies also do the same type of work with similar results. my barrels will shoot sub .1" groups at 25 yds pretty easy. i know 25 yds really aint a test. but it's all i have time for. i've shot some groups in the .2" range at 50 when i was designing the reamer i use.

Thanks to almost all for there replies on the subject , the only problem I see with the Green Mountain barrel is that they seem to be sold out everywhere as some mentioned.
Since this is to be used for squirrels and ground hog removal I don't really want to spend what a Lilja barrel costs, so I had better give this some more thought.

Maybe Nemohunter will do your factory barrel for you; he did my 82G trigger and I gotta tell you, he knows his stuff. Thanks, Douglas

I've found Shilen, Lilja and Green Mtn. to be top quality barrels. The Green Mtn. barrel is probably the best buy, but my Shilen bull barrel has served me very well for more than 10 years.

Picher

Picher, I am glad to see that you are happy with your Shilen barrel, for Heavens sake don't sell it !
Prices are going through the roof and "will" get worse before the economy/business/companies figures out that the average Joe is tapped out. Companies can't keep raising prices 10% plus (usually a LOT more) and expect everyone to be happy. I'm not just talking about the shooting sports, man I mean everything/every company!
Example: I have never wrecked a car in my life, only claims have been for 3 windshields in the last 10 years! However my auto insurance has gone up 35% in the last 1 1/2 years. Figure that out!

Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, I took the forums overall recommendation and found a Green Mountain 18 inch, tapped for the Volquartsen cantilevered barrel scope base today and ordered it, If it doesn't shoot well than I'll lap it myself (I know how) cut it down and re chamber/crown myself, pain in the donkey but at least I know how.

I realize (now) that a lot of people want to know where I found the GM barrel. However I don't want to piss off the "site" moderator, so if he/she can email me and give me the OK I'll come back and tell you where you can find one if you want, I know they have more but I don't know how many.

Thanks to all, Changeling

Thanks to almost all for there replies on the subject , the only problem I see with the Green Mountain barrel is that they seem to be sold out everywhere as some mentioned.
Since this is to be used for squirrels and ground hog removal I don't really want to spend what a Lilja barrel costs, so I had better give this some more thought.

The GMs are arriving now in spurts at the dealers. Check out Shooters Discount and Gunkings on the net

Back