1-8 Twist .223 bullet choices?

B

BUSHMASTER1

.223 Remington. What is the best bullet weight range for this twist? Best powders?
Thanks, Daniel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,probably should hav noted it must be magazine length tolerant. I think the VLD will be too long.

Try all standard loads listed in the books

I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless that has the 1-8" barrel. Rifle shoots everything very well including 40 grain bullets. Best accuracy has been with 50 grain bullets but again it shoots them all very well.

You did not list what type of shooting you are wanting to perform with your rifle. If it is only target work then maybe a 68-80 grain bullet would be your best choice. The 52 grain match bullets shoot very well in most 223's.

Mike.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless that has the 1-8" barrel. Rifle shoots everything very well including 40 grain bullets. Best accuracy has been with 50 grain bullets but again it shoots them all very well.

You did not list what type of shooting you are wanting to perform with your rifle. If it is only target work then maybe a 68-80 grain bullet would be your best choice. The 52 grain match bullets shoot very well in most 223's.

Mike.

Thanks for the replies,it's for an evil black rifle, that are sometimes not well recieved on this forum. I have ordered a Larue stealth upper and wanted to have loads ready when it gets here. I was hoping the lighter bullets would work. I'll start with my regular loads and see what happens.;)
Daniel

Daniel,
A 1x8 twist will handle bullets up to 80gr. It will shoot the light ones very well also. To recomend a bullet weight depends on what your doing. If it is just blaster ammo find some surplus 55 or 62gr. bullets. If you want some more accuracy I would suggest the Sierra 69 or 77 MK or the Hornaday 75 gr. BTHP.

John

1-8 bullet weights

Bushmaster1: Three of my six 223 chamberings ( 2 Kriegers actually said to be 1-7.8 & 1 Hart 1-8) are matched with the distances involved. For 100 to 200 yds. the 55 Hornady V-Max is first choice. For 200 to 300 yd., the 69 gr. Sierra #1380 is the #1 choice. For everything beyond 300 yd., the 77 gr. Sierra #1477 and the 80 gr Sierra #1480 are both used. The great thing about the "fast" twist is the versatility: they will work with just about any bullet weight, although I must admit I've never gone below 50 gr., and only a very few of those. Other three chamberings are 1-9 and I've never gone heavier than 69 gr. Varget is my number one powder choice for all.

I load mine with

Powder = H4198
Bullet = 40 Grain VMax
Primer = Wolf Small Rifle Magnum or Rem 7 1/2
Brass = Anything I find.

Shoots great.

If you don't have the rifle you'll want to pick up some mag-length bullets like 75 BTHPM Hornady, 77 Nosler or 77 SMK and load them to 2.25". Use Varget, RE15, 4895 or VV N140 or 540. Any primer except Winchester or Remington 6 1/2 (7 1/2 work great).

Once you get the rifle and can measure the throat, then you can explore the possibilities of VLD-type bullets and get some single-load bullets like 75 AMAX, 80 Nosler or 80 SMK, etc.

ETA: Some people like TAC powder too. Very dirty, but if that's what you have, it may work well.

SMK 69 And H-322.
Check your chamber with a dummy round/empty brass. Some chambers are a little smaller.
Drop the round in, with the upper open. To make sure it will go in.
Helped out a guy last year. He built/customed his AR. Looked great. But, his ammo was getting jammed in the chamber.
He needed to set his die a little lower.
Another problem. He made 500 rounds. While waiting for all the parts. :eek:

Bushmaster1: Three of my six 223 chamberings ( 2 Kriegers actually said to be 1-7.8 & 1 Hart 1-8) are matched with the distances involved. For 100 to 200 yds. the 55 Hornady V-Max is first choice. For 200 to 300 yd., the 69 gr. Sierra #1380 is the #1 choice. For everything beyond 300 yd., the 77 gr. Sierra #1477 and the 80 gr Sierra #1480 are both used. The great thing about the "fast" twist is the versatility: they will work with just about any bullet weight, although I must admit I've never gone below 50 gr., and only a very few of those. Other three chamberings are 1-9 and I've never gone heavier than 69 gr. Varget is my number one powder choice for all.

I agree, bullet choice depends on distance and intended use. For a bushy, use pulled 3rd world bullets. J/k.

Seen lots of guys report 40gr was their best bullet at 100 yards with 1:8tw AR. I like the ball and short cut powders for .223, especially the smaller bullets. R15 and Varget have done well too.

1in8 twist 223

I shot highpower off and on for years. All the 1in 8 twist barrels I have had contact with like the heavier bullets. 75 gr hornady, 77 Sierra (never herd of one that wouldn't shoot these well), 77gr nosler ( good value and the same as Sierra) and so forth.
For longer ranges th 80gr will usaully work but ofcourse these are seated long so they don't fit any magazines. 80 gr sierra's are the standard and are far less picky. The 80gr noslers are again almost a clone of the Sierra. The 80 gr Bergers can work extremely well are can be fussy about powder and seating depth.

Back