1,000 Yard Panda

M

Mark IV

I have a Panda LV benchrest rifle. I am thinking about buying a 30 inch 6.5 x 284 barrel to put on it to shoot 1,000 yard. I have a .308 bolt for the Panda. Is there any problem in doing this? Also, how would one get the necessary 10 to 15 MOA slant for the scope that would be necessary to sight in at 1,000 yards using the Panda? Does anyone make rings with the slant build into them?

Thanks for your help. :eek:

The Panda makes a fine action for a 1,000 yard rifle. Steve Shelp uses a Panda in his in Light gun; Dave Tooley used one for a time. Steve shoots a 6.5x55 AI; ballistically identical what you're considering.

As to the base, I believe Kelbly makes an adapter for a Panda to get the 20 MOA. Or Bruce Baer, or Dave Tooley -- some notable like that.

I'd worry a bit more about using a short-range LV stock. The rifle's balance won't be too good with that longer barrel. If you have "weight room," you could put some in the butt. The only other way to get good balance is to use a longer forearm. 'Course, some of us have been known to ignore the balance issue & accept the consequences (blush). It will work even if it's a little light on the butt when you figure out how to shoot it.

Or you could use a shorter barrel. Lots of ways to go & still make the 17-lb weight.

Last edited:
"when you figure out how to shoot it."

Charles this is ME right now :(

I've got a 29" HV 6X47L barrel on my short-range Borden HV gun (PPC) which is built with the Borden/Six BR stock and the things got me twitterpated! I've got it at 17lb with a 45X scope and it balances right on the BF but when ya's touches 'er off she LEAPS like a fresh-hooked traut! Boyd Allen's been giving me some help and I'm getting it tamed but I can add this fillip of information, it ain't always easy to "figure out how to shoot"!!!

I can say this...... "this AIN'Tcher basic PPC!" A 10.5lb PPC properly built is a wonder, you could set mine on the bench and throw rocks at it until it fired and it'd stack 'em up. THIS thang on the other hand wants to be controlled.....

My next longranger will definitely include the longer forend.

al

I have changed my Panda BR gun into an F class and 1000-1200yd gun. Now it mainly shoots 284s. I recently bought a kelbly base to slide over the dove tails. The base has 20 moa elevation and with my 12-42 NF scope I screw it all the way down to the bottom (well 4 minutes from bottom) for 100 yds and I can get up to 1100 yds with the scope screwed all the way up.

I have a Panda LV benchrest rifle. I am thinking about buying a 30 inch 6.5 x 284 barrel to put on it to shoot 1,000 yard. I have a .308 bolt for the Panda. Is there any problem in doing this? Also, how would one get the necessary 10 to 15 MOA slant for the scope that would be necessary to sight in at 1,000 yards using the Panda? Does anyone make rings with the slant build into them?

Thanks for your help. :eek:

If this LV Panda is only "glued in", you may want to have Charles, Karl, or others comment about whether it needs to be bolted to the stock also, in order to handle the additional recoil of the 6.5 x 284, and larger barrel size................not sure about this myself, but would be concerned.................Don

Don:

Thanks. I thought about whether the glue in was strong enough after I posted the question. I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has any experience with shooting glued in actions with long barrels and heavier recoil that a PPC produced.

My Panda was glued into a McMillan BR stock. It was VERY secure. When I tried to remove the action from the stock for storage during removal I tried a few methods such as freezing both in freezers to crack it loose. I ended up breaking the stock trying to get it unglued. The next day I heard about the iron on the action trick. Yes, I had used it with a 284 no problems.

I've never used a glue-in with a 1K rifle, so have no personal experience. I guess I wouldn't worry about it. The only glue-in I ever had let go was with a 6-PPC, & it didn't suddenly jump out of the stock; there was some warning that All Was Not Well.

But if you popped the action out, you could then get a longer stock & pillar bed both the point-blank & LR stocks. On balance, I guess that's what I would do.

Pandas have a deep and wide tang that makes a good recoil lug and a very large surface area to glue to. I bet its stuck together pretty well.

Back