.006 too much for a shoulder bump?

The Kaiser

Before I realized that I had the wrong Redding Body Die, I bumped my 22/250 brass back anywhere from, five to six thousands. Will this be too much bump as far as head space? Can I shoot them safely? Thanks, Gary

.005 to .006 is a large amount when setting back a shoulder for an easy bolt function. However if you were to seat the bullets extra long to ensure a jam, that shoulder could be moved back out next time you fire that brass. The bullet seated long will keep the base of the case against the bolt face, and the firing will move the shoulder forward. Remember next time to set the shoulder back just enough so you can feel a case just a hair snug in the chamber with a stripped bolt. Everytime you try this, and you have to mave the shoulder back out, you are shortening the usable life of your brass.

Paul

Actually a bullet jammed in the rifling will not hold a case back against the bolt face... it simply gets hammered ahead by the firing pin onto the bullet...

You will weaken the cases if you fire them with this amount of "space". The best way would be to enlarge the neck and then size enough that you create a false shoulder to hold the case against the bolt face.

That is a tad too much. Sometimes, when cases start to get a little tight, I will go as much as .003 during a match, but only once or twice, they are ready to chunk by that time.
What I would do, to save the cases, is smear a thin, (very thin), film of Imperial Sizing Wax on the case bodies, and shoot a light load. They will form in real nice, and you can just start over........jackie

Please be careful if you decide to "grease the case" on a 22-250. The 250 case has a wicked body taper, if you fire one carefully and it comes out well with the shoulder reset then carry on......BUT, if the bolt immediately gets stiff please STOP!!! This is one of the few times when a case WILL slide and the enormous increase in bolt-thrust coupled with the slam-effect of the casehead hammering the boltface is not good for the root of the locking lugs. Somehow the double-hit is much worse than two consecutive hits, it's like an impact wrench hammering the lugs.......Depends on the gun I guess.

BTW, Dennis is right. The bullet WILL NOT hold a case back. Just make a dummy up and pull the trigger to find this out for yourself, it's easy to test. The bullet WILL be reset by the firing pin unless you've bruised your palm which means that "seating long" did nothing to help. (I have a hunch Dennis has actually done this ;) )

opinionsby

al

Thanks

Thanks to all for your input. Now that I'm in my "Golden Years" I guess I'll have to be even more careful. Gary

Back