Wolf primers?

never a failure at any temperature or time of year.

chuck

wolf primers

So far the guys at our club have shot at least 2 cases in the past year.
The only FTF,s were when the primer was not fully seated to a crush fit.
The ES is way smaller then the other brands , over the screens
Usually we shot the federals but since the dry up and higher prices many of us have switched to the wolfs. not because we like to either but due to supply.

So far the guys at our club have shot at least 2 cases in the past year.
The only FTF,s were when the primer was not fully seated to a crush fit.
The ES is way smaller then the other brands , over the screens
Usually we shot the federals but since the dry up and higher prices many of us have switched to the wolfs. not because we like to either but due to supply.

Absolutly ditto.......

Some protrusion issues may be needing a tweek on some actions/bolts for use of these tough cup Wolf SRM... Had a few issues at first but with a bit of a crush seat, no failures... One complete match so far and zero issues and a good finish in TOUGH conditions.

The new guys without any or very few primers of ANY brand, the Wolf SRM are a solid substitute... Just give a solid primer seat "just a crush"... Firm anyway.

My two barrels with almost exclusive Wolf primers down them... Looks fine for 260rds and 580rds through bore scope.... Nothing unusual.

cale

I've had misfire problems with Wolf SRM in a Panda. I've tried different seating techniques with no luck. Wonder if I drop down to a .062" firing pin, if it will help with misfires?

No, a .062 firing pin would probably make matters worse.

Are you using the original Kelbly firing pin assembly? What kind of trigger are you using?

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

No, a .062 firing pin would probably make matters worse.

Are you using the original Kelbly firing pin assembly? What kind of trigger are you using?

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Greg...thanks for chiming in. I am using the original firing pin with no modifications. I had you open the boltface up from a ppc to .308. You also chambered my barrel. As for the trigger...its a Jewel. Think a Kelbly trigger might do the trick?

I have a load that works using CCi primers, so I really did not look deep into a solution. I do have a bunch of fireformed brass that was fired with Wolf primers and if I seat a cci in that lot of brass, they seat very loose. So it may be worth while to figure out Wolf mis fires.

I've had two failures with my Wolfs SRM's

One in my Kodiak and the other in my BAT. The bullet stuck both times. I was able to get the case out of the BAT without dumping powder but not with the Kodiak. I DNF'ed because of it in that match. It happened on what would have been my last shot on target 4 with just a few seconds remaining.

I have had other primer brands fail in the past. I gave up on federal SR's because of failures. I have a lot of Remington 7.5 that are duds and I have had a couple of Winchester SR primers fail in the past.

My conclusion was and is that it happens and if it becomes too often then 86 them. It makes a dern good case for shooting off the lands, however.

Several failures with Wolf SRM primers. I used them all winter during our winter league and had no failures. About 600 rounds using a Bat 3-lug action. Tried them in my new BAT 2-lug with short bolt several failures and would not fire with second hit. Took some measurements of the Wolf primers found a large differences in primer height. Most measured .118-.119, had some that measured .110, .113, .115. No failures with Federal primers. My conclusion 2 possible problems. Quality control issues with the Wolf primers and the short bolt BAT might need to have some wok done to it. Haven't taking any measurements on the BAT action as far as firing pin fall etc. For now I'll be sticking to Federals in the BAT.

Wolf primers

I have shot the KVB, and PMC (pre wolf) and Wolf in 3 different pandas. 2 of them have .062 pins. I shoot them at every match. I never had any problem at all. The non Mags (copper coates) will sometimes pierce with hot loads in my Panda with the larger pin. I cant understand unless you got a bad lot.

off the lands

My conclusion was and is that it happens and if it becomes too often then 86 them. It makes a dern good case for shooting off the lands, however.

Yes, It's worked for me Pete. Especially in 4 groove - Lottsa Kriegers, a Bartlein, a few 4 groove Shilen Ratchets and a couple 4 groove PacNors....

Tunes as well as the "in the lands" shooters.... Win win in my book.
Strait ammo is a MUST, but it's that not strait is not needed for shoot'n in the lands......;)
Have not dumped powder since shoot'n with a bit of jump (or even very light land contact .001-.003)........:)

cale

wolf

Have used over 6000 between my 30br panda, 6ppc viper and 6ppc panda with no failures to report.
Mike M

Can someone please explain to me how FTF has anything to do with seating bullets on or off the lands? I must be confused because I'm thinking FTF has more to do with headspace or a firing pin problem than with bullet seating depth. Several things come to mind with firing pins such as not enough travel, to light a spring etc. But I've been wrong before. So I hope someone will clear this up for me. Thanks.
Dana

Can someone please explain to me how FTF has anything to do with seating bullets on or off the lands? I must be confused because I'm thinking FTF has more to do with headspace or a firing pin problem than with bullet seating depth. Several things come to mind with firing pins such as not enough travel, to light a spring etc. But I've been wrong before. So I hope someone will clear this up for me. Thanks.
Dana

nothing...till you have a ftf and need to extract the round..and have a bullet stuck in the lands, pull the bullet and dump the powder in the trigger...

now does it make sense ?

mike in co

Maybe there are problems with one or more lots of the Wolf primers, since there are so many complaints.

With our action, as long as the spring is 22-24 lbs. and there is .250" of firing pin fall, ignition should be optimum.

Interestingly enough, the only primer failures I've ever had were two Remington 7-1/2 primers out of a box of 1000 about fifteen years ago. I've never had another failure with any other make of primer...although I did catch a Federal primer without the anvil during a reloading session two years ago.

Greg...

Maybe there are problems with one or more lots of the Wolf primers, since there are so many complaints.

With our action, as long as the spring is 22-24 lbs. and there is .250" of firing pin fall, ignition should be optimum.

Interestingly enough, the only primer failures I've ever had were two Remington 7-1/2 primers out of a box of 1000 about fifteen years ago. I've never had another failure with any other make of primer...although I did catch a Federal primer without the anvil during a reloading session two years ago.

what do you guys recommend for firing pin protrusion? Perhaps these Wolfs are more critical in this regard then Federals when deeply seating them in a modern Lapua 220 Russian case..

There should be approximately .050” protrusion.

Protrusion isn’t as important as the amount of force exerted on the primer. Using an original 40 gram firing pin and the original 22-24 pound spring with at least .250” of travel are the most important factors.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

blank 205M primer

I found one of these at the Shamrock back in March, fortunately I caught it before I loaded the round. I have enough of my own reloading hiccups without Fed. adding to the problem. Sure am glad Fed. pays more attention to the Match primers!

wolf primers

I tried that link . Its closed out for some reason.
From what i have been told all primers today all have an abrasive mixture
I can't see where wolfs would be more harmful then any other brand at this point. The barrels are only going to last X Long any way.
Some are talking 500 rds and off or a tad more then a set back .

i'll second that, how does a primer scratch a bbl ??

mike in co

Well I guess if you put a loose primer in the barrel in front of the cartridge it could scratch your barrel (among other things) but thats the only way I can see you could scratch your barrel with a primer.

Dick

Back