Who Hunts Varmints ?

V

vmaster59

Hi,just checking to see if anybody here hunts varmints.

Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too! :D

Whoa! 79 posts in 4 years! I'm a regular motor-mouth. :cool:

I call coyotes when I can...

Yes, and let's save time. For anything out to 450 yards, get a 220 Swift!

If you're a real man you use a .17 HMR!

(kidding!)

The guy I call with and basically taught me what I know uses a .22-250AI or .17 wildcat (uses 30 gr. Bergers with it) with a good deal of success.

Last edited:
Varmint hunting

It's what I do in the summer when I'm not performing with Hagerstown Municipal Band. Nothing like an evening hunting PA woodchucks in a big alfalfa field!

Coyotes and deer. Also hoping for cougar. .223 for me and .22-250 for my dad in East Texas.

West, Texas is not in West Texas. It's on I-35. :p

Johnny Walker caller works great. We have a handful of the cartridges.

We usually see several coyotes every weekend during deer season.

Hog Huntin'

I try to get out 1 night a week. Property owners are usually more than happy to give permission to hunt which usually leads to permission to hunt deer.
I sat 1 evening on a new bean field and shot 5 without ever moving. I like 55 grain bullets in my 22-250 and 70's in my 6mm BR. The 6mm really rips 'em a new one.
I like Bergers and VMaxes. I've tried some 68 gr. Match bullets in the 6MM.
They are more accurate and will roll a hog, but not like a good hollow point.

Yes, and let's save time. For anything out to 450 yards, get a 220 Swift!

Maybe if it's 1956 and you want the farmer 3 states over to hear it. 20TAC and never look back. 3900 fps, a slug with a BC 50% higher than a swift, all with less than 26 grains of powder. Just put the crosshairs on them big chucks and they don't even twitch, out to 500 yards .

Calling coyotes

Hey, I have read discussions on this forum for months, and finally joined tonight so I am new and will undoubtedly post things where they don't belong so be ready! I have tried numerous strategies for coyote calling and it is tougher than I thought, although I know guys that can call these varmints in to 20 yards or less, so while all the previously mentioned calibers are great, the calling should also be discussed. I use a Johnny Stewart cassette tape caller and generally use a rabbit in distress tape. But usually I see nothing. My luck. However, with the locator tape, which is just a pack howling, I can bring the mountains to life with dozens of coyotes responding from all around. So, it is fun, it is a challenge, and when you get a shot you will be hooked. Of course, here in Idaho we have many wolf packs, and lately I have wondered what the chances are of accidentally luring one in would be.

This is a unique web site, based on accuracy. "The Absolute Source of Accuracy Components, Services, Accessories, and Information for the Precision Shooter".

Some of us hunt, many don't. Several years ago the subject of posting pictures of game and varmints was discussed. It was established at that time not to post pictures of game and varmints. There are other many other sites more suitable for that.

This is a unique web site, based on accuracy. "The Absolute Source of Accuracy Components, Services, Accessories, and Information for the Precision Shooter".

Some of us hunt, many don't. Several years ago the subject of posting pictures of game and varmints was discussed. It was established at that time not to post pictures of game and varmints. There are other many other sites more suitable for that.

True,but to be good at hunting varmints you need to be a Precision Shooter. That's what I like about it. Not only calling them but being able to shoot them as well. And at times at great dist. So you and your rifle must be able to shoot very well.

Clint

Hunting varmints

Hunt varmints? Hell, yes!!

I got into this game due to my love of hunting PA woodchucks or groundhogs with a vintage Winchester Mod. 43 in .218 Bee. My repertoire has evolved into highly accurized switch barrel rigs sporting Kreiger barrels, Jewell triggers, etc.

Depending on the farm, terrain, distance, etc., I sometimes carry two rifles on a shoot. .17 HMR, .218 Bee, .223, 22-250 A.I., 6mm BR, .250 Savage A.I., .243 A.I., .308 are all the calibers I shoot for varmints. I hunt coyote in Vermont, upper New York state, PA. and groundhogs and crows. Shots have ranged from walk around tree line shots to carefully placed bipod field shots from 300 yards to over 600 yards. In my opinion, varmint hunting brings all the skills together into an enjoyable outdoor sport. Precision shooting skills, benchrest quality components, precision handloads, quality optics, dealing with mirage and wind and being flexible in shooting situations hones one's skills.

Lou Baccino

Right on, LOU.........

my sentiments, exACTly. Afternoons (and mornings, too:D) watching, listening, enjoying the outdoors, being just another hunter, hunting the hunters. ;)

oh yeah

Muskie fishing, Shooting, Predator hunting.
Not in that order:rolleyes:

True,but to be good at hunting varmints you need to be a Precision Shooter. That's what I like about it. Not only calling them but being able to shoot them as well. And at times at great dist. So you and your rifle must be able to shoot very well.

Clint

I agree. My fondest memories include "sniping" varmints at long range.

The point I was trying to make was NOT to post varmint and game pictures on this forum. Often newer members in their enthusiasm wish to; and do not realize this was discussed years ago and a decision to not post those pictures was decided.

Back