Where do you practice?

JDMock

Skeetlee is not the only shooter who has corn for wind flags. The picture here is my range which is about 50 yards behind my house. Here I am testing a Pac-Nor 6mm Super Match 7.5 twist barrel chambered in 6mm Dasher and mounted on my BAT mod. B and featuring a 10X -50X x 60mm Sightron III LR scope. James Mock

Attachments

• Pac-Nor & Sightron 007.JPG
    Pac-Nor & Sightron 007.JPG
    886.1 KB · Views: 486
Practice

James,that looks like a good place to to set up a Deer/Turkey Blind,during season.:) That corn field is very enticing.

Looks like a good place to do some testing/practice,etc.

Glenn

Mister Mock,

My self and Mister Jim practice at the Paper Tiger Range near New Holland, Ohio. Sometimes I think it practices me. It seems to be a hard range to read the wind. But then again most are hard for me.
Nice set up you have there. You can always run back to the house and get a cold ice tea. Hope all is well there and you will make it to the Supper Shoot next year. The cozy corner is empty with out you and the good time gang.

John in Sunny Ohier

Keith Gantt and I used to go to the Chattanooga Rifle Club and shoot some threes, swear we weren't going to the next match...and then go and win everything in sight. Point is....close ranges are always good if you understand the ups and downs.

We finally decided that an average group size of .300 there was good enough to win elsewhere!!! More true than not....

Skeetlee is not the only shooter who has corn for wind flags. The picture here is my range which is about 50 yards behind my house. Here I am testing a Pac-Nor 6mm Super Match 7.5 twist barrel chambered in 6mm Dasher and mounted on my BAT mod. B and featuring a 10X -50X x 60mm Sightron III LR scope. James Mock

Tomball. Private club, limited to 300 members.

It's a bit rustic, (you've been there), but it's almost like owning your own range, as often we have the place to ourselves.

I tell everybody in the Houston area that having a membership in The Tomball Gun Club is worth it's weight in great bullets.

Tomball. Private club, limited to 300 members.

It's a bit rustic, (you've been there), but it's almost like owning your own range, as often we have the place to ourselves.

I tell everybody in the Houston area that having a membership in The Tomball Gun Club is worth it's weight in great bullets.

Yes but Jackie everything you shoot and maybe own is RUSTIC :eek: Check your shooting equipment on the road to the Nationals to make sure non of the parts fell off from rust.

See you in AZ
Tom

That "Pretty Basic" looks Pretty Nice to me.

I shoot at my home club in East Hampton, New York , a private one which can be crowded on weekends, but is empty most of the week when I shoot. We have 5 benches and target holders in 25 yard increments out to 200 yards. Calverton provides 300 yards once a month by moving the benches to another area and closing part of the parking lot, then when staying in Manhattan I shoot at Cherry Ridge in New Jersey that has 100/200 and 300 and I am a member of the 1,000 Yard Bench Rest Club in Williamsport, PA.

For those cold winter days, there is Dave's in Orange County New York with 100 yards indoor.

Bob

Keith Gantt and I used to go to the Chattanooga Rifle Club and shoot some threes, swear we weren't going to the next match...and then go and win everything in sight. Point is....close ranges are always good if you understand the ups and downs.

We finally decided that an average group size of .300 there was good enough to win elsewhere!!! More true than not....

I am trying to keep it below .350". Not much luck...

Western Wayne County Conservation Assoc. http://www.wwcca.com/
I heard the club has seen a resurgence. +1000 members. They even let Bill Gammon in....Occasionally we are graced by the presence of Joe Krupa, Jack Neary, Jeff Gaidos, The Don, The Dominator, Mr. Lee, The Carters, "The Quite One" from the Great White North Peter Smith, Those Guys from Ft. Wayne, and a few strays......Hope I didn't forget anyone. And I believe it was Lowell Hottenstein's home range or it might have been Monroe RPC.

Monroe Rifle and Pistol Club. http://monroerpc.org/ 400 members. Most days you are by yourself....

I have been told, I am real lucky, both clubs are within 45 min. In the morning and baring no accidents on the E way.

Check out the pictures on their Web sites.....

This is my range

Out to 600 yds so far. It's about 100 yds from the shop to the range.

Richard

Attachments

• firing line complete.JPG
    firing line complete.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 302
  • gates looking south.JPG
    gates looking south.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 267
  • behind the firing line.JPG
    behind the firing line.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 725
Yes but Jackie everything you shoot and maybe own is RUSTIC :eek: Check your shooting equipment on the road to the Nationals to make sure non of the parts fell off from rust.

See you in AZ
Tom

Tom, you must have seen Jackie's loading die set up on his Partner presses. In today's politically correct environment, it's called "patina". ;)

Attached is a video on my range about 100 yards behind my house. Not so good a place to practice, but a pretty good place to shoot as there is some protection from the wind. When your average daily wind speed is 18 mph, a little protection from the wind doesn't hurt. But certainly not a very good place to practice.

Last edited:
Out to 600 yds so far. It's about 100 yds from the shop to the range.

Richard

Ooooohhhh Richard, I envy you your property......

I've got a seriously nice range setup, I'm very thankful, but THAT is really a great place to shoot! I can shoot out to 450 from the range house and have to move around to get 600, 1000 and 1200 but your place...WHEWW!

How far to that hill in the background? Can you get to 1K?

thanks
al

Practice! We're talking about PRACTICE? What's practice?

I use to do that...and am trying to get back in that mode. Haven't had/made much time for it in the last five years, and it shows!

I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot 100/200 from the back door of my gun shop but recently poured a pad out front that I've been trying to find time to enclose for longer than I want to admit, adjacent to the shop. One of these days....

Al, I can get to

1000 yds. The hill is right at 1500 yds. It's still a work in progress. I am going to get my moving backers made for 300 yds this winter. Hardly anybody shoots group at 300 and I want to hold some nbrsa matches and that distance. I figured the attendance would be low and thats fine. I don't have many benches. I am working on a loading barn behind the range and hope to get that done this winter also.

The pic of the other range is my "old" range. I load right behind the bench in the little building.

Richard

Attachments

• flag view.JPG
    flag view.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 638
  • loading board behind benches.JPG
    loading board behind benches.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 202
  • bench form on HDPE.JPG
    bench form on HDPE.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 247
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 228
  • first target board.JPG
    first target board.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 220
  • level benches.JPG
    level benches.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 229
At the match the day before. I've been shooting since 1999 and have never had a place I could go to and practice. That being said yes I'm sure I could have called Mickey Coleman and he would have let me come and shoot..... Maybe ? And I still might not have went thinking I would wear out my barrel ?

Back