Where do you practice?

We are lucky in the Tri Cities of VA/TN. We have 4 good gun clubs within 30 minutes of where I live. Some even have 2 20 covered bench ranges out to 200, and one has 30 covered benches out to 300 yards and 60 out to 50 meters for rimfire.

Plus I have a private covered bench range to 600 and have 3 local friends who are shooters who have nice covered benches. One even has overhead fans. So where I live I have 7 places to shoot within about a half hour dive and some have permanent wind flags.

Should I shoot better, probably!!

What don't we have? Someone to take up the thankless job of putting on registered centerfire matches. The Bristol range (Kettlefoot) spent $85,000 to upgrade an existing range, then the guy who was to run it had an accident that prevented him from doing so. Kettlefoot, though, is the home of the annual Triple Crown rimfire shoot (IR 50/50, ARA, and PSL) which attracts shooters from around the world.

Where Do You Practice ? (Long)

There is no substitute for practice, regardless of the Sport. In the professional Sport ranks, If you miss a practice session,you could be looking at some serious job consequences.

In Benchrest, its you against the prevailing atmospheric conditions. I have found that in BR….PRACTICE exercises the brain. If you don’t use it, you lose it. (Fact)Practice improves your ability to recognize the condition changes ,between you and the target. In many cases,that ability diminishes with age. I know this to be a fact.

I belong to two Private ranges. One is 14 miles from me. Its been closed most of the Year, due to flooding and construction. The other is 50 miles away,in another county. On a number of occasions, I have loaded up my gear and headed out to this Range, only to get caught in a freeway traffic jam that prompted me to turn around and come home.

When I do manage to get through the traffic, Sometimes I get to the Range and discover that I left something at home that prevents me from practicing i.e, Gun, Ammo, Components.;) When this happens, I spend most of the day discussing Politics with some of the Regulars. You know the regulars. The ones that don’t bring Guns to the Range. They just come to talk and distract you from practice.:mad:

I try to gauge my return home trip when the freeway traffic is not so congested.

Every shooting Range is different, that includes the shooting tunnels with controlled environments. I,ve been told that There is much to be learned about yourself and equipment during Practice in a tunnel. I’ve never shot in a tunnel.

A seasoned Benchrest shooter recently told me that, lots of practice at the Range where a big match was being held, paid off for him. Getting to know the challenges of a Shooting range is the same as getting to know the challenges of a Golf Course. Some courses are specially designed with unique challenges.

About Practice, I agree with comments made by another poster awhile ago.
“Practice without an accurate Rifle is just a waste of time”
OK “Accurate Rifle” is another subject that’s been discussed here.

My observations have been that Practice will not prevent the occasional “Train Wreck” in BR competition. Its your fault. Its just the nature of the Sport.

What you have just read is nothing new to most of you and it was not intended that way. These are just some of my observations on the subject of practice. I love to shoot. Been that way a long time. I drool at some of the private ranges you guys have shared. Makes me want to buy more lotto tickets.:(

Glenn

Last edited:
Just another view

You can see the target board at 600 yds between the trees.

The target board you see to the left is on the older range. On the hill you can see 200.
The older range is very much like Okie Shooters at Luther OK. I practice on that range alot before going there.
When shooting at 200 the flags in the middle are around 15 ft tall. Super switchy and hard to shoot range.

The new range is more like the Kansas City range. Flat and not a whole lot of switchy stuff until you get to 300.

Anyway I agree with Glenn, practice makes aggs smaller. (Most of the time)

I know some travel down US 54 highway going to matches. Stop by!! Have lunch and spend some time.

Richard

Couldn't download the darn pic!! Well, you will just have to come see.

Last edited:
Back