What tool / cutter setup do you use to turn rifle barrel shanks?

I’m certainly not calling you a liar. I appreciate all your posts, regardless if I agree with them
or not. They always inspire thinking. Thinking is good!

Why, Thank You :)

I don't get that much. You've validated my reasoning for starting a youtube channel..... I've been begging people for most of my adult life "DON'T try to learn from me!"... "I'm not TEACHING anything" ..... "I'm neither a teacher nor a preacher" ..... "But PLEASE THINK with me!!!"

A huge segment of the population believes that "Arguments don't ever change anyone's mind" and "discussion is just two guys waiting for the other to finish speaking" which validates "why bother voting, nothing changes anyway!"

I've had my entire worldview reset by discussions on this forum..... I've eaten public crow many times and enjoyed it every time because in my mind LEARNING trumps "being right"

every time.

I like the idea of long tenons

And just so I’m clear, I’m taking about making a .016” (I actually program .015” because I cut my major smaller than nominal) plunge at the shoulder. Mines not quite a X only plunge (although if you draw it out, it’s pretty much the same result), I plunge at a 45* to depth, move in Z .003, then out in X for the final tenon length.

The tenon for a recoil lug illustrates it best, even though the full thread tenon has the exact same profile at the tenon/shoulder junction.
View attachment 25358

Is there a scientific formula that can be applied to such things as barrel tenons to give a definite answer as to what is the best length for any given diameter? One would think the Federal Government would have established one for any application, such as this but mebby not. Yet still there has to be tables somewhere that would show worked out data so that guessing about it wouldn't be necessary.

Pete

Is there a scientific formula that can be applied to such things as
barrel tenons to give a definite answer as to what is the best length for any given diameter?
One would think the Federal Government would have established one for any application, such
as this but mebby not. Yet still there has to be tables somewhere that would show worked out
data so that guessing about it wouldn't be necessary.

Pete

"Machinery's Handbook" has excellent explanations of thread function.
Both calculated and 'rule of thumb.'

Typically only a few threads in any mechanical connection are taking
the majority of the load.

For those who want it to be "gun-related" Harold Vaughn's 'Rifle Accuracy Facts' is now available on line for FREE, which is a very good price.

I don't expect any of you to actually read it and UNDERSTAND inclined plane joins. But it is there :)

"The Truth Is Out There"

For those who want it to be "gun-related" Harold Vaughn's 'Rifle Accuracy Facts' is now available on line for FREE, which is a very good price.

I don't expect any of you to actually read it and UNDERSTAND inclined plane joins. But it is there :)

"The Truth Is Out There"

Vaughn's book is great, and I own a print copy, but where is this "free" version?

You're pretty f****** smug about who understands what. A good rule of thumb is "If you think you're the smartest, or most knowledgeable, person in the room - you have a lot to learn...".

Don't bother replying. I'm sure a plebeian engineer like myself could never understand.

GsT

..........but where is this "free" version?

You're pretty f****** smug about who understands what. A good rule of thumb is "If you think you're the smartest, or most knowledgeable, person in the room - you have a lot to learn...".

LOL!!! I deserved that! But.... please understand from whence I come.. It's a DARE..... I've got no problem cocking off, being the bad guy if I can piss certain people off enough they'll go educate themselves. There are a lot of folks on this board and in open threads at this point who COULD benefit from Harold Vaughn. There's another open thread where the guy is basically asking for the argument :)

(Me being the nice guy that I am will of course NOT engage.....LOL)

And yeahhh, I know, I risk also pissing off folks like yourself but it's worth it if one person is saved.... so, even though you told me "DON'T" you did also ask a question, therefore in the interest of others reading this thread,

https://archive.org/details/RifleAccuracyFactsFullV1.0FirstFullScan/page/n1/mode/2up

do yourself a favor, READ and understand this book!

Vaughn's book is great, and I own a print copy, but where is this "free" version?

Lol, it took me just 5 minutes to do a Google Search for 'Rifle Accuracy Facts pdf' and download a copy after I read Al's useful message yesterday.

Sometimes a little searching can do wonders.

Thanks for the info Al.

* doggie *

Lol, it took me just 5 minutes to do a Google Search for 'Rifle Accuracy Facts pdf' and download a copy after I read Al's useful message yesterday.

Sometimes a little searching can do wonders.

Thanks for the info Al.

* doggie *

Yo Dawgg..... I spent some time today making bits for my old Des Burke Ozzie toolholder..... useta'could I used this feller nearly every day! But I got tired of sharpening it for bulk cutting and started using it only for crowning.... now, with my current fixation with dressing a tenon or more importantly a muzzle device cutting 4 different surfaces off of an initial manual index I decided to make up a half-dozen cutters so's I could swap and test..... and never have to stop and re-sharpen if I screw itup.

She do cut like a mirror! And still possibly the best crowning tool.

https://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=297

I also like the idea

of the shoulder of the barrel being at least the size of the action face. That makes absolute sense to me. certainly shouldn't hurt anything. I wanted to say that in my last post but my thoughts outran my fingers.

I have an Anschutz action with a .900-22 thread in it and had barrel I wanted to try in it that had a much smaller tenon so I turned the tenon down and shrunk a bushing on it then cut the .900-22 thread on it. I made the bushing like al does his barrels, with a flange that matched the action face. The barrel shot as well after I finished as it had in another action. Of course, we aren't talking huge pressures here I understand but it worked is all I'm saying.

Pete

Is that tool insert for aluminum and sharp ? Have you or anyone tried using a insert like this to turn down a varmint weight barrel to a sporter contour ?

Hal

Yes. Aluminum inserts for finishing stainless works beautifully. I wouldn't profile a whole barrel with one, but I'd take a finishing pass with it.

Back