what is your favorite lathe?

S

sonier

What is your favorite lathe at the workshop? What is your favorite set up for safety and production? Do yo have any pictures of your workshop?

Jet 12 X 36..............Nice short headstock for through the head stock chambering. Plenty accurate for gunsmithing (mine is a 1985 vintage)

P6300008-vi.jpg

good looking lathe there. 1985 man thats got some experience lol

1972 11 inch Rockwell, 37 inch between centers, 1 and 3/8 inch bore, 18 inch headstock depth.
Rockwell.jpg

Well, since it's my only full size lathe, my favorite would have to be my South Bend Heavy10 :D.

Sorry it's a bit dirty here, but I was in the middle of making a spider for the spindle nose when I took this photo.

Jim

Lathe011copy2.jpg

I was thinking the same thing Wayne. Jim says he is sorry for the machine being a little dirty, I don't think my shop has EVER been that clean. Very nice guys.

Joe Hynes

Well, for the sake of discussion, I'll offer another point of view.

I'm 67 years old, I've been using my 9" SB, the very same exact lathe, since I was 8 with my Dad's supervision, and since I was 10 on my own (that's 59 years more or less as a hobby user) - so it isn't like I just fell off the turnip truck when it comes to using a lathe. I like my 9" SB, no question about it. I used it again yesterday and enjoyed it - it's an old friend that I'm comfortable with and within it's size limits, it does good accurate work, the ways are essentially perfect, and it won't be for sale any time soon.

But, with all due respect for the heavy 10, which is basically a 9" on steroids, if I had to pick between a new in the box 10H and a Harrison M300, or similar lathe, or a well made 12x36 import (gear head or belt driven - not from Harbor Freight), for doing gunsmith work, I'd pick the Harrsion or equivelant or well made 12x36 import) in a heartbeat and never look back.

If I was going to make a living as a gunsmith, I'd go for the Harrison or the bigger Grizzly. I would definitely pick a lathe with a 3ph motor. A lathe with a 2 speed 3ph motor would be even better since all the spindle speeds would be available with out a belt change. (Changing the belts on the SB is easy, changing the one on the Andes is more difficult.) The ratios on the Andes are such that I could replace the existing 3ph motor with a 2 speed 3ph motor, rewire it to add a Hi-off-Lo speed switch, and never have to change the belt, but I've not done that.

I couldn't find a 10H when I was looking for a new lathe in the early 1980's ('81 or '82 I think) so I swam upstream against the conventional wisdom on RCM and bought the Andes, a 12x36 Taiwanese gearhead. I picked it instead of the Grizzly because I started with a lathe that had a slow speed around 36 rpm, the slow speed on the Andes is 36 rpm, and I didn't want a 70 rpm minimum speed. I've never regretted the choice. I would look at bigger lathes now and then (always imports), but just couldn't justify the purchase as a hobbiest. Besides, with one exception, the Andes has been able to do everything I've asked of it. (It couldn't turn a new axle bearing hub on the end of my '31 A Roadster rear axle housing - the shock mount needed more swing than it had and I think the bed was a bit too short).

Since I retired and became interested in gunsmithing as a fun way to spend winters when it was too cold to to hunting or to the range, and a way to have better rifles than I could afford to buy, I've discovered what a nice lathe the Andes is for doing gunsmith related projects. Fitting and chambering barrels is easily accomplished through the headstock with the addition of a few easy to make tools and a minor spindle modification. Truing receivers is not a problem - the ways are hardened and ground and true within a tenth or two over distances of interest so making mandrels, and other tooling isn't a problem.

There is nothing wrong with a 10H, it was and is a good lathe, but in my opinion, while it is still an option, there are better lathes available for gunsmithing now.

If I could only have one lathe, I'd keep the Andes because it is so much more capabile than the 9" SB.

You pick your pony and take your ride.

Fitch

As far as a favorite it is for it is the only one that I could find at the time. This heavy 10 TR lathe has been up graded with a single phase 1 ½ HP motor, it has a considerable amount of bed wear and some other problems but it works for what I do. I have a drum switch, new chuck, head stock bearings and some other items that are coming to bring it back to life, I have been told to sell it and purchase a new import but that aint happen.
I would take a Rockwell or a Sheldon in a 11” to 13’ swing range and am actively looking for another with a little more capacity….

Regards Rick

Attachments

• DSCN0373.jpg
    DSCN0373.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 707
Now, see? Isn't Rick Averill's tool room much neater?

Now Francis, no need to rub the nose of this "pore ol dimwitted southern boy" in it :D. I just haven't figured out how to put 1000 pounds of "junk" in a 500 pound capacity shop cabinet yet :p. I'm sure there must be a cabinet under all that junk somewhere. Don't you think you should start a "Help Jim Wooten Build A Proper Shop" fund :D?

Besides, I'm trying for the title of World's Messiest Shop to go with my undisputed title of World's Messiest Reloading Room ;):D.

Jim

My little lathe. Rockwell 10" with taper attachment

517962357_pDPwJ-M.jpg
I have the collet attachment in it. I wish I had more time to clean. I do keep the ways and important areas clean.

Mark,
I haven’t seen oilers like that since the 70’s on the old war machinery that I set-up, it looks like ya need some steam power to make her run, my OD grinders were a little more sophisticated but I sure would like to have some play time with it…..
Rick

Back