what is your favorite lathe?

She dates back to 1945

It still work good. Put a Norton 32A...something, something on it. And I was grinding M-7 like butter. Also, I was using coolant. With out it, metal was tearing.

Mine is a Grizzly 4003, 12"x36". Its been a nice upgrade from my 7"x14" Micromark. My second choice would have been a Clausing 5914.
Jeff

Grizzly4003.jpg

Last edited:
I Like My Clausing 5914

Had to do some rebuilding but it came fully tooled, including a lever collet closer that I love. Does an excellent job. Having a clutch is great for saving your rear on occasions and allows measurements without stopping the motor.

After years using a lot of different brands of lathes, I have to pronounce the Standard Modern to be heads and shoulders above all the rest, hands down!

I wish I owned one, but a Alas, they have always been way above my budget. I do get by on my old Heavy 10" South Bend.:D

M.D.Spencer

It's a Crystal Lake grinder. The company is still in business and still makes an evolved version of yours with the overhead belt drive sysytem. High maintanance tapered babbit spindles, but finishes and roundness are superb. Owned one some time ago. Mine would consistantly produce round parts to under 10 millionths.

Nice find.
Alan

Alan

I glad someone recognized it. She was made 1945. It's a model 4 1018 made in Crystal lake, Ill. Talked to them last week. They are still in business and haven't made a grinder in some time. He said he was doing everything except building machines.

Barret " Boot" Obermeyer, Don Nelson and Dave Kiff (PT&G fame ) are so far the only one who have one of these. I missed out on two at a machinery action last fall. Less than 500.00 a piece. Someday, I'd like to have one that is in one original piece.

I saved this one from the scrappers.

Nice pictures everyone! lets keep them coming, its nice to see how some of these workshops look. These pictures give a lot of good ideas on set up!

I wonder how many people can still blue and scrape in a set of babbitt bearings?? Years ago I used to run a Hendy lathe. It didn't have a threading dial so once you dropped it in gear you left it in. To in-feed you had to reverse the lathe and back up. I always thought it was a little Un-Hendy to use.

Mike Swartz

Nice pictures everyone! lets keep them coming, its nice to see how some of these workshops look. These pictures give a lot of good ideas on set up!

How do you get the pictures to be displayed inline in the message? I have noticed that when I upload pictures they are attached to the message like this http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60909&page=2 but in this line of posts the pictures are displaying right in the message. How do you do this on this forum?

Scott...

How do you get the pictures to be displayed inline in the message? I have noticed that when I upload pictures they are attached to the message like this http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60909&page=2 but in this line of posts the pictures are displaying right in the message. How do you do this on this forum?

Scott...

Insert the following IMG brackets, front and back of the web address where your photos are stored or click on the yellow icon in the "reply to thread" window when writing a reply to a post and the IMG brackets will automatically insert on your photo address, thereby allowing them to show directly in the post and not as an attachment................Don

Back