What Caliber

New to these forums so take pitty on me. I plan to get into bench rest shooting so I will be starting a few threads.
First what would be a good caliber for shooting 100-600 bench. I am currently looking at the 243 Win.

Wayne

Wayne,

A couple of questions:

1. Are you shooting in formal matches, local matches or informally.
2. When you say "benchrest", what do you mean by it? There are multiple games under there.

With that said:

One cartridge, the 6 PPC dominates from 100-300. Another, the 6 BR, or improved versions, dominates from there to 1,000 yards.

If you are shooting matches, you need to pay attention to the rules of the specific format as they vary.

If you are just getting into the game, aren't limited by specific rule formats and you really want to shoot one rifle, my suggestion would be a no-turn 6 BR, 8 twist, with freebore to shoot the 104-108 grain long/heavy bullets. An "IBS Light Gun" which is 17 lbs including scope and everything, would be a good pattern. This isn't the caliber that I'd suggest starting with, but it'll get you a picture in your head: http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=7523 .

See: http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/ .

I can't stress enough paying attention to format rules. We had a guy on here not too long ago spend a lot of time and money building and tuning up a rifle that he couldn't shoot in the matches that he wanted to shoot.

Be aware that a rifle is just where the expense starts.

Last edited:
At my age I don't think I will get into competitive (match) shooting. I like to compete against myself. Right now I am just looking. Other than the 243 Win a friend was suggesting a look at the 260 Remington. Any thoughts? What I mean by "bench rest" is just shooting off a bench versus prone on the ground.

Wayne

Last edited:
For informal bench shooting at the ranges that you mentioned , I think that the 6BR is a much better choice than the .243. Here is a link to some information. It does very well in competition at 600 and 1,000, and while it can give a very good account of itself at shorter ranges, it is generally not the cartridge of choice for competition at 1-200yd.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/
For real sanctioned competition, the rifle builds would be to different rules at 1-200 than 600. The obvious choice for the shorter distances is a 10.5# 6PPC, while for 600 the rules and calibers that dominate are significantly different.

Just shooting off a bench against yourself, you can do just about anything.

Are you going to reload? Are you limited to factory rifles?

I own both 243 and 260 hunting rifles. They are both fine hunting and tactical cartridges. They are not the best choice for a 100-600 yard target rifle.

While I'm at it, here is a target from a couple of varmint matchs shot with my son's 6 BR. Both are on 8.5x11" paper, to give you scale. The first is 100 yards, the second 300. That 300 yard deal is kind of a wallet picture, I hit the fly on average about 1 of 4 times. Never hit it twice. Never centered another like this one.

8df1817f2e71174201bdbce88602129d_zps20976e33.jpg

d381c14191faf128395493acb9e47a1f_zps8a8de85d.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that you might want to let us know is what sort of budget you have to work with. I can tell you how I would put a rig together, but if my suggestions take you over budget, they won't be very useful. Another thing that I would suggest, if you like reading is a series of books, that are about shooting competitive short range benchrest. For a start, even though it was published in 1972, I still like to point fellows at The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page. There is a lot that cam be learned in it, and it is an easy and enjoyable read.

One thing that you might want to let us know is what sort of budget you have to work with. I can tell you how I would put a rig together, but if my suggestions take you over budget, they won't be very useful. Another thing that I would suggest, if you like reading is a series of books, that are about shooting competitive short range benchrest. For a start, even though it was published in 1972, I still like to point fellows at The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page. There is a lot that cam be learned in it, and it is an easy and enjoyable read.

I hadn't decided on a budget yet. I was looking at off the shelf guns and I plan to talk to a couple gunsmiths to get an idea on building costs. I am looking at scopes like Night force higher end models. I will definately be hand loading ammo but I have some of the tools already as I currently load 38 sp/357 now. I would still like to hear your ideas.

Wayne

Listen to Boyd. Do a 6mmbr. Pick your bullet and then your barrel twist. To do a decent rifle I believe you need at least $3000.

If he is up for a Nightforce, I think Stiller clone single shot short action, Jewel, drop in barrel by Criterion, and have Meredith put one of his stocks on it. Leave the barrel channel oversized to keep future options open.

gentlemen,
may i be a stick in the mud...
i agree with the cartridge choice...

but to start with can he use a savage as built ?
or a semi tricked savage..after market trigger ? stock ? bbl that is a drop in/screw on ?

(lets get him hooked and then go after his wallet)

I looked at the 2 current Savage models chambered for the 6BR however I have been told they have lousy triggers and there are no replacements for them.

Wayne

If he is up for a Nightforce, I think Stiller clone single shot short action, Jewel, drop in barrel by Criterion, and have Meredith put one of his stocks on it. Leave the barrel channel oversized to keep future options open.

Do I have to remortgage the house for that one?

Wayne

gentlemen,
may i be a stick in the mud...
i agree with the cartridge choice...

but to start with can he use a savage as built ?
or a semi tricked savage..after market trigger ? stock ? bbl that is a drop in/screw on ?

(lets get him hooked and then go after his wallet)

Why buy twice and waste the guy's money?
Just buy it once. And be done with.
Wish I had done that.
Well, I sorta did.......I have a Savage Model 12 LRPV. It has a nice trigger and a good barrel.
Have not shot it since, I got a 6PPC.
Maybe someday.
Yea, maybe someday I will go P dog hunting. Naaa to busy with shooting Benchrest and running matches.....

I would build a Dasher over a BR., but many who are too lazy to make cases will disagree. Very soon Dasher cases will be a factory made case and this will put an end to the case forming. The BR does have trouble keeping up with the conditions, and i don't see where it shoots smaller than the Dasher at 100 yds. It comes down to the quality of the barrels,5 shot zero groups are getting pretty regular any more in testing……. Records speak for them selves at mid and long range with the Dasher……. jim

factory 6mm dasher brass

Hi Jim, when do you estimate the factory 6mm dasher brass will be available and who is going to make it?

Drags, That is a good question, maybe…. hopefully the end of the year. I can't give you a time frame but i would keep an eye on Bullets.com……. jim

Back