What Caliber

so now we have three distinct steps

a) off the shelf with some upgrades

b) a semi custom built 6br

c) a full blown br rifle in 6 dasher....

bottom line..how much much work do YOU want to put into working on vs shooting your first rifle ??

I have looked at the factory built such as the 2 Savage models. I have a date next Thursday with a guy that builds bolt action bench rest rifles. In the mean time can you explain a "semi custom" built rifle?

Wayne

There are people that will turn cases for you .
Rom Hoehn, Greg at Kelbly's, Lester Bruno, I think George Ulrich????......
And there always some folks at BC to walk ya through it.

Wayne, there should be some old coots in FLA to help out...........Maybe not "Benchrest Shooters".
But, Varmint Shooters. Heard there's lots of hogs in FL and GA.........

jim.
i am concerned that he has very limited rifle loading experience.
he said he had done pistol, but no elaboration passed that comment.

jumping into turning and fire forming and rifle reloading at one time.....

I started in 1961, while in the military, loading for 30-06 in a Winchester model 70. With factory rounds I could get 2" groups. After bedding the action and practicing with the reloads I was able to get 5 shot groups and cover them with a quarter. Not too bad for an off the shelf hunting rifle. As far as loading for accuracy this will be new to me.

Wayne

There are people that will turn cases for you .
Rom Hoehn, Greg at Kelbly's, Lester Bruno, I think George Ulrich????......
And there always some folks at BC to walk ya through it.

Wayne, there should be some old coots in FLA to help out...........Maybe not "Benchrest Shooters".
But, Varmint Shooters. Heard there's lots of hogs in FL and GA.........

Hogs my the millions. I found a 1000 yd range open to the public down the road a piece. It's the only one in Florida. I plan to bump elbows with a couple of those shooters soon.

Wayne

Hogs my the millions. I found a 1000 yd range open to the public down the road a piece. It's the only one in Florida. I plan to bump elbows with a couple of those shooters soon.

Wayne

Hey Wayne that's great.
Sometimes ya have to drive. There is a tournament in Feb or March called the "Winds of the Manatee". Not sure where........
Hoping some more shooters from Fl would say something...............

I have been doing a lot of research in the last couple weeks. I am now looking at the 6BR and the Dasher trying to decide which one. I watched a video on how to make dasher brass out of Br brass. That doesn't look like it would be too difficult. If I end up going with a factory rifle then it will be the BR. If I have a rifle built I have a choice. What factors should I consider when making a decision?

Wayne

The straight 6 BR is a tad easier. Zero brass forming and a more versatile neck.

The Dasher gives you more velocity that is helpful at longer range.

There is also the BRX, the BRDX, the BRBS, etc.

Moving up the BC a bit, you have the 6.5x47 Lapua. There will be more recoil. Super easy, though.

One more notch, there is the 284 Winchester and it's improved variants, e.g., the 284 Shehane. Lots of BC, but lots more recoil.

'Twas me, unless there was some reason, like a good used rifle, I'd stick with the straight 6 BR for my first barrel. OTOH, if I stumbled into brass, dies, or something for one of the improveds, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it. In fact. I did when a guy sold me his BRDX reamers, dies and brass for a good price. I pick that rifle up Monday,

I have been doing a lot of research in the last couple weeks. I am now looking at the 6BR and the Dasher trying to decide which one. I watched a video on how to make dasher brass out of Br brass. That doesn't look like it would be too difficult. If I end up going with a factory rifle then it will be the BR. If I have a rifle built I have a choice. What factors should I consider when making a decision?

Wayne

It's not hard to make brass,but by the time you get a gun built you should be able to buy factory brass…… i hope. A good barrel in a Dasher will shoot under a .1@ 100 yds. if you can load properly and get good bullets. At 600 - 1000 they will flat hammer a BR…….. jim

If I was planning on shooting at 1000 it would be a Dasher. The Dasher will be able to shoot the conditions way better. Talk to Larry at the range in Florida or find out his phone no. from somebody there. He shoots a dasher. Matt

If there is ready help available, and you're inclined to expand your original "100-600 yards, perhaps expanding to 1,000 later" to include the possibility of 600-100 now, I'd say to go with the Dasher.

If brass becomes available, that'd be great. I've been on very large projects long enough that I never bet on new technology coming available.

New to these forums so take pitty on me. I plan to get into bench rest shooting so I will be starting a few threads.
First what would be a good caliber for shooting 100-600 bench. I am currently looking at the 243 Win. Wayne

Go here first: http://www.accurateshooter.com/

Read through the index of cartridges listed on the left side of the page.

Somewhere within that wealth of information, resides your cartridge. :)

The OP has a wealth of advice. He's on his way.

Right now, he's headed to, or already in, Canada with family and won't be back to FL and shooting till the fall.

Back