We Haven't Had A Good Car Thread In A While...........My '67 Chevelle

Jackie, back in the day we followed a lot of the guys, Dickie Harrell, Tom McCroan, Kelly Chadwick, Mike Burkhart, Gene Snow, Rafael Shields, Grady Bryant, and Roger Caster. I think Grady Bryant became an attorney. You might read his book, Drag Race Fever. It is very entertaining.

Dick Landy, Kelly Chadwick, Mike Burkhart, Gene Snow, Tommy Ivo, the Mopar Team, what were they called, had red and white stripes on their cars. When I got out, if you ever get out. they were the names, Dyno Don Nickleson, Frank Hawley, Chi-Town Husler, Roland Leong. It is a good thing I only look at this post, but it is a bad thing and you old time racers know what I am talking about.

Dick Landy, Kelly Chadwick, Mike Burkhart, Gene Snow, Tommy Ivo, the Mopar Team, what were they called, had red and white stripes on their cars. When I got out, if you ever get out. they were the names, Dyno Don Nickleson, Frank Hawley, Chi-Town Husler, Roland Leong. It is a good thing I only look at this post, but it is a bad thing and you old time racers know what I am talking about.

Yeah, just mentioning the locals or ones that spent a lot of time in the area. After high school I visited Eddie Hill quite often. I worked in Wichita Falls, Texas at the time. Eddie lived in a trailer house with his first wife. He did have a pretty nice shop. He was working on his jet dragster, a Pontiac dragster, and his 61 Pontiac SS car. I think it was the last year that he drove a full bodied car. It was kinda unique at the time, but his dragster had an aluminum tube frame and he used the engine as part of the chassis. It wasn't long after that when they mandated CM material for the frames.

Yeah, just mentioning the locals or ones that spent a lot of time in the area. After high school I visited Eddie Hill quite often. I worked in Wichita Falls, Texas at the time. Eddie lived in a trailer house with his first wife. He did have a pretty nice shop. He was working on his jet dragster, a Pontiac dragster, and his 61 Pontiac SS car. I think it was the last year that he drove a full bodied car. It was kinda unique at the time, but his dragster had an aluminum tube frame and he used the engine as part of the chassis. It wasn't long after that when they mandated CM material for the frames.

Butch, I remember the first time Eddie Hill drove a Blown Fuel Hydroplane. We were at Lake Liberty just outside Liberty Texas around 1978. We were at a Southern Drag Boat Association race. He ha been racing in gas limited classes for several years, doing quite well.

Everybody said that he and Fuzzy had just put that blown fuel rig together, and this was his first run in it.

As my memory serves me best, he got in that thing, fired it up, and set a leg on the SDBA record.

The boat wasn't even painted yet, no decals, nothing. And it looked like it was put together with used hardware. But it sure ran, and he could darn sure drive it. He went on to be one of the premier Hydro drivers until he switched back to land Top Fuelers.

I told my wife the other night that I had a hankering to find me a 70's vintage Beisemeyer Circle Hull and build a APBA Super Stocker like I raced back then, just to do it.

She doesn't share my thoughts on this.:mad:

I met Eddie Hill at the Fanshaw Lake in Ontario when he came up for a big race here and I think it was his first or second year when he had the Drag Boat. By accident for sure, I was walking along this pathway and Ursula was there, of course I was in awe of Eddie Hill and I talked to her and she invited me to meet Eddie, well that was a mistake on her part, but you know Eddie and I talked for about an 1 hour and I got to follow him when he sold the drag boat and went into a rail. He, at that time was a real gentleman and to my knowledge remained that way. What memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see some sexual harassment lawsuits against the employer (Tilted Kilt?) waiting to happen.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I don't see a 'Vette OR a Cracker Barrel...the other scenery has diverted my attention.

"facebook
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Back to home"

Finished the 2016 season in good shape, despite an early season hiccup. A broken cylinder wall sidelined me for the mid season as a new Dart block was put into service along with a fairly big change in camshaft profile. The cam didn't play well with my torque convertor, so.....long story short, two convertor changes later, life was good and I finally found a combination that gave some consistency along with performance.

My last race was at the Division 5 NHRA National Open in Kearney, Nebraska. We had 71 cars and I went to the semis (4 cars left) before getting beat. Not a bad way to end the season. :)

Finished the 2016 season in good shape, despite an early season hiccup. A broken cylinder wall sidelined me for the mid season as a new Dart block was put into service along with a fairly big change in camshaft profile. The cam didn't play well with my torque convertor, so.....long story short, two convertor changes later, life was good and I finally found a combination that gave some consistency along with performance.

My last race was at the Division 5 NHRA National Open in Kearney, Nebraska. We had 71 cars and I went to the semis (4 cars left) before getting beat. Not a bad way to end the season. :)

Nice, Al. Where on the GS/A index are you running.

And refresh my memory, what engine/tranny/rear end gear are you running in that Nova?

Back