Vote for a new Laupa 6 BRX Case

How is the BRX case improved over the standard BR? Could you (or somebody) post a picture comparing the two?

Lapua 6 BRX Survey on 6BR.com

Personally I would like to see a factory 6 BRX as it is significantly different than a 6/6.5x47 L. Here is how the survey is worded on 6 BR.com:

Should Lapua Produce a Factory 6BR Improved Case?

1)No. Wildcatters can already form BRX or Dasher cases.

2)Maybe... but a 6XC or 6-6.5x47 makes more sense.

3)Yes, this case would probably be popular.

4)Absolutely, and I'd rush out and buy the brass!

RYW

The 6 BRX is the 6BR with the shoulder moved forward 100 thousands. Gives it a little more case capacity.
Bob

Commercial manufacturers don't work on the vote system. They work on the profit system.

The way to get Lapua 6-BRX is to find out the minimum order -- 500,000, 1,00,000, whatever, and place the order, probably pre-paid. That's what was done with the 6mm American. That's how Lou Murdica got the march scope.

No voting needed.

Doesn't sound like...

The 6 BRX is the 6BR with the shoulder moved forward 100 thousands. Gives it a little more case capacity.
Bob

it would make case capacity. Minimum is about the 6.5x47 case with shoulder pushed back to 46mm.

Br case is about 37-38mm and 10 thou would only give you about 1/10x25.4mm= 2.5mm. Looks like it would be short of Hunter capacity by about 6 or so mm. --Greg

Charles...

Commercial manufacturers don't work on the vote system. They work on the profit system.

The way to get Lapua 6-BRX is to find out the minimum order -- 500,000, 1,00,000, whatever, and place the order, probably pre-paid. That's what was done with the 6mm American. That's how Lou Murdica got the march scope.

No voting needed.

voting of sorts...with the check book :) --Greg

No voting needed.

Charles - I hear ya - but I don't have Lou's money that is why I vote this way. I have a small voice but try to use it. :(

They didn't hear me at the election time either but did try then too !:eek:

JR :eek:

Jerry,

I know you well enough to know you are up to something - What is it? Give me a call.

Adrian

I saw this post over on 6BR.com, this is why it's hard to post over there! :rolleyes:

WHY??? What earthly reason is there for this endeavor?

I think it's a ridiculous idea....

-#1, factories CANNOT make a living catering to 9 odd goofball customers.

-#2, What's the gain over using the 6.5 case?? The 6.5X47L is a WONDERFUL case, the best I've ever known of for wildcatting. Better than the .284! There is NO DOWNSIDE!

-#3, WHY would a factory make such a short-necked morphodite?? If they DID make it they'd put a neck on it......... and then it'd be a 6X47L.....duhhh.

The 6.5X47L case easily makes the best HBR case of all time.... there's nothing to improve. And if someone's uncomfortable with the small primer then there are a dozen others readily available.

I'd LOVE to see HBR get a shot in the arm but trying to revive it by blowing out the 6BR case is a weird way to go.... LAPUA GAVE US OUR CASE!!!... USE IT!!

Geeepers we're a hard-to-please bunch!! Governed more by opinions and old wives tales than common sense..... so lemme guess, "the 6BR-based DASher's and BRX's and BRBS's and BSBRX's and BBSSBRBSHogWaLLErin'ScheutzenBOOMers are "more accurate" than the 6X47L case????"

friggin'goofy!

unexpurgated opinionsby

:D

al

Hummmm

I saw this post over on 6BR.com, this is why it's hard to post over there! :rolleyes:

friggin'goofy!

unexpurgated opinionsby

:D

al

Well I guess you consider the Wolf Pulp unwise as well ! :eek:

I was thinking of a Wolf Pulp with a longer neck myself... and I would not have to form the thing from the 6.5 X 47. Getting tired forming cases and if they are going to make this case that would be fine with me.

I have the 30 6.5 X 47 and the 30 BR and the 30PPC and like them all.

JR

I like the idea of a BRX case being available over the counter.

What I'd really like to see Lapua offer is a standard 6BR case with the neck .250-.300 longer. This would fill the niche' between the 6BR and the 6.5X47 and let people that want to experiment with case body length do so by simply moving the shoulder foward. And they would still have a reasonable neck length after having done so.

Lots of possibilities with a case like that. And it might be more feasable from a economic standpoint for Lapua.

A guy can dream......;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw4Qsbnzv4

I'm content with the BR, Dasher and 6-6.5X47 but can see the desire out there for modified versions of those cases.
How about asking for a Lapua "Basic Brass"? A straight wall case as long as a 6XC, or longer, with a small primer pocket. One that could be used to make the variant of your choice by forming it to your needs. I think that this is done by the BPCR people or done with belted cases.
I've made a number of wildcats by reforming existing brass but I do not enjoy that anymore. Early on, I took some 300 Rem UM brass and moved the shoulder back to where it looked like the Rem Super Short cases. It is not a big deal once you master making bushings with the correct shoulder angles. Thick brass becomes the negative in extremes like this.
About 1970, I made about 150 22-250 cases from '06 Match brass. The necks were so thick that I ended up tossing them. Case capacity was also greatly dimished. But it can be done.

I have been thinking

I'm content with the BR, Dasher and 6-6.5X47 but can see the desire out there for modified versions of those cases.
How about asking for a Lapua "Basic Brass"? A straight wall case as long as a 6XC, or longer, with a small primer pocket. One that could be used to make the variant of your choice by forming it to your needs. I think that this is done by the BPCR people or done with belted cases.
I've made a number of wildcats by reforming existing brass but I do not enjoy that anymore. Early on, I took some 300 Rem UM brass and moved the shoulder back to where it looked like the Rem Super Short cases. It is not a big deal once you master making bushings with the correct shoulder angles. Thick brass becomes the negative in extremes like this.
About 1970, I made about 150 22-250 cases from '06 Match brass. The necks were so thick that I ended up tossing them. Case capacity was also greatly dimished. But it can be done.

diminished case capacity may be a GREAT thing. Just look at the success of the 30 BR, for instance. Why do we always seem to want to add powdah?

diminished case capacity may be a GREAT thing. Just look at the success of the 30 BR, for instance. Why do we always seem to want to add powdah?

Except that the "30BR" is so useless that it killed an entire sport, the sport of HBR.

OF COURSE decreased case capacity offers a return, duhhh! That's why it's NOT ALLOWED in an honorable sport called "Hunter Bench Rest."

This short view is the oddest thing I've noticed about the Benchrest shooting sports.

al

Well I guess you consider the Wolf Pulp unwise as well ! :eek:

I was thinking of a Wolf Pulp with a longer neck myself... and I would not have to form the thing from the 6.5 X 47. Getting tired forming cases and if they are going to make this case that would be fine with me.

I have the 30 6.5 X 47 and the 30 BR and the 30PPC and like them all.

JR

Au Contraire mon frere,

You obviously haven't been reading my posts for long. :)

I've hooted and hollered over the Wolf Pup since its inception. Of course the new 6.5X47L case has eliminated the reason for it's existence.....but that's another subject entire.

BTW, forming the new case to 30 couldn't be easier. I've got a whole pictorial on the subject.

al

A few numbers to ponder:

-Lapua 6BR case a.o.l : 1.555
-Lapua 6.2X47 case o.a.l: 1.840
Difference of .285
-Lapua 6BR base-to-datum: 1.158
-Lapua 6.5X47 base-to-datum: 1.485
Difference of .327

Lots of possibilites between the two. ;) -Al

I've hooted and hollered over the Wolf Pup since its inception. Of course the new 6.5X47L case has eliminated the reason for it's existence.....but that's another subject entire. al

Actually, not. The WolfPup is an absolute minimum capacity case per the rules. The 6.5X47 Lapua necked to .30 is substantially bigger in capacity than the 45.0/45.5 minimum requirement.

The difference in the two is the bigger case is at it's best with powders in the N133/N135 range. The smaller cases allow the use of powders in the 4198 range. The smaller case/faster powder combo gives higher velocities with reduced muzzle pressures with typical .30 cal. BR bullets (.925-1.00 and 112-130 gr.)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Actually, not. The WolfPup is an absolute minimum capacity case per the rules. The 6.5X47 Lapua necked to .30 is substantially bigger in capacity than the 45.0/45.5 minimum requirement.

The difference in the two is the bigger case is at it's best with powders in the N133/N135 range. The smaller cases allow the use of powders in the 4198 range. The smaller case/faster powder combo gives higher velocities with reduced muzzle pressures with typical .30 cal. BR bullets (.925-1.00 and 112-130 gr.)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

OK OK, agreed :) kinda',

if you put a NECK on the wolfpup you'd have a 30X47L. I just went down and poured water into one of my "max-capacity" 30X47L's and it came out to 49.7gr water filled clear to the rim. With a nice long .300+ neck. 45gr of water is up into the neck about 1/4 of the neck, visually. It shore do look like I could trim the neck back and end up wit' a Pup...seems to me I could use your same WolfPup loads only I'd have another 1/4" of neck to play with.

My trimmed brass nets out for a case oal of 1.825, WITH a .300+ neck. My chamber is set to close hard on 6.5 brass right out of the box, maybe a .001 bump.....

So's what you can do with this brass, EASILY, is play with shoulder bump and trim-to length to arrive a truly min cap case while still having a neck.

Seems to me a 6BR with a double-length neck is just coming at it from the other direction, not BAD, just different. Your way has the added advantage of NO CHANCE of a donut, but to get a company to make a round with a 3/4" neck???

I don't know what to use as a datum for an oal to datum (just lazy) but my bet is that your WolfPup would chamber and fire in my 30X47L... and that if I bump my shoulder back just a tenth of an inch and trimmed the neck ......... I'd be smaller capacity in the boiler room than even the WolfPup.

:)

al

Back