Vote for a new Laupa 6 BRX Case

BTW Al The NyhusfromtheForbiddenZone......

What IS your datum line measure on the Pup?

And the datum you're using on the 6BR and 6.5X47L, SAME diameter? My guess is that the datum are to different points on the shoulder? Or are these your own numbers?

The base-to-datum over on 6MMBR.com is in metric for the 6BR. (and I'm lazy again...) And I haven't seen a diagram of the 6.5X47L which includes a datum measurement......

I'm curious as to the datum comparison of the Pup VS my 30X47L, gimme a diameter and I can get close. I've got a set of the Sinclair comparator gizmo's, pick a caliber and I'll prolly have it.

al

alinwa:
I understand what you're saying, believe me.:) Whenever I'm asked for my opinion on what case to use as a base for a HBR cartridge, I recommend the 6.5X47 Lapua case as the starting point...whatever the final configuration.

If you've got a 'sacrificial lamb' 6.5X47 Lapua case around, try necking it to .30 and then cut the neck shorter until you reach 45.5 capacity and see how much neck length you have. The results might surprise 'ya.

When we started with the 'Pup project, our goal was not to have a super short neck. It was simply a consequence of blowing a 30BR bigger until it met the rules for IBS and NBRSA competition. But the short neck hasn't proven to be a hinderance. I do have to say that I'm not at all happy with how the currently available Lapua 6BR cases perform when I blow the shoulders forward to make 'Pup cases, though. They are a 'way different animal from what Lapua was supplying when we started this project over four years ago....and not in a good way, that's for sure.

On the datum line measurement, these are just my own reference numbers using a Stoney Point guage and a #350 insert.

And I agree with your assesment of the 30BR causing some exodus from the Hunter ranks in the IBS. Many long time Hunter shooters were looking for a different challenge and enjoyed working with the .30's. When the 30BR came on the scene as a well devoloped combo (thanks in no small part by some pretty savvy HBR shooters working with the twist/length setup in their HBR guns), these people built VfS guns and concentrated on them. Add to that the fact that it's almost impossible to shoot a 6 Power and VfS gun in many of the one day tournament formats...and it's easy to see how HBR took a hit in competitor numbers.

It's ironic that the class (HBR) that was both the proving ground and where the groundwork was laid for the 30BR has indeed suffered from the incredible success of the very thing it helped spawn. But this can be turned around. :) We've done it out here by shooting IBS Two Gun Score events. On Saturday we shoot the 6 Power guns at 100 and 200, then repeat this on Sunday with the VfS guns. The result has been an increase in both HBR and VfS competitors.

Now, whether either sanctioning body gives a flyin' flip about 6 Power BR ...or even want it to survive :mad:...is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether. :( And probably something for another time and place. ;)

Good shootin', as aways. :) -Al

Last edited:
I'm not sure

I agree with the 30 BR theory. Several years ago there was an atempt to restrict the Varmint Hunter class to 6 PPC or smaller. The petition failed and a number of Varmint Hunter shooters made VFS rifles. Some of them have come back with 30 BR's for VH rifles. I was agin the 6 PPC thing but have had second thoughts about it and would vote in favor of it now if it came back. It is more likely that the lighter recoil 6PPC would attract new 6X shooters is my thinking. Heck, make it real interesting and restrict it to .22's. I will be right in there wih the rest of them.

I don't have a problem with having the two classes. The winner of SOY points for any given day is the highest 6X score so, in reality there is only one class now. Competition is everyone shooting a 6 X rifle. I don't see a big advantage to the 30 BR. There are 30-47 sized rifles and the like that are every bit as accurate as the 30 BR and guys who win with them on a regular basis, just costs a bit more to shoot them is all.

Last edited:
Back to the original subject the 6mmBRX

I have chambered over 200 6mmBRX barrels over the last 3 years. I have not had one 6mmBRX customer complain about the cartridge choice. Most fire form their own cases using 29.5 30.5 grains of Varget. They use these fire forming rounds for practice or 600 yards or less copmetition. The cartridge is so inheretly accurate that even during the fire forming process at 600 yards or less it is accurate enough to shoot clean scores.

Several of my customers have kept old barrels and use Bullseye powder to fire form cases.

Recently I sent some virgin Lapua 6mmBR brass and two fire formed cases and a reamer print from Dave Kiff to Hornaday to have them make me a hydrolic forming die. I have reaceived confirmation that they are processing my order. They said it would take 12 weeks for them to complete my order. I expect to get the dies any day now. I already have a request for over 5000 cases to be hydrolic formed. My customers make up a very small caddrey of
6mmBRX shooters. The users of this cartridge would grow substantially if there was readily available 6mmBRX brass.

Not to bash other cartridges but the 6mmBRX has qualities they don't have.

Nat Lambeth

I have chambered over 200 6mmBRX barrels over the last 3 years. I have not had one 6mmBRX customer complain about the cartridge choice. Most fire form their own cases using 29.5 30.5 grains of Varget. They use these fire forming rounds for practice or 600 yards or less copmetition. The cartridge is so inheretly accurate that even during the fire forming process at 600 yards or less it is accurate enough to shoot clean scores.

Several of my customers have kept old barrels and use Bullseye powder to fire form cases.

Recently I sent some virgin Lapua 6mmBR brass and two fire formed cases and a reamer print from Dave Kiff to Hornaday to have them make me a hydrolic forming die. I have reaceived confirmation that they are processing my order. They said it would take 12 weeks for them to complete my order. I expect to get the dies any day now. I already have a request for over 5000 cases to be hydrolic formed. My customers make up a very small caddrey of
6mmBRX shooters. The users of this cartridge would grow substantially if there was readily available 6mmBRX brass.

Not to bash other cartridges but the 6mmBRX has qualities they don't have.

Nat Lambeth

The BRX is an inspired chambering, a GOOD chambering....a wondrous interpretation of he BR case....

But it ain't magick! :rolleyes:

This is what I'm talkin' about........"but the 6mmBRX has qualities they don't have."...........you can make THE SAME CASE by running the shoulder back on 6.5 brass can't you? Only leave yourself some neck? Or not???

Now, if you've taken on the investment of a hydraulic former, WHY??? Have you guys tried necking up to false shoulder? And if so, what's the problem?

al

If you've got a 'sacrificial lamb' 6.5X47 Lapua case around, try necking it to .30 and then cut the neck shorter until you reach 45.5 capacity and see how much neck length you have. The results might surprise 'ya.

I'll try it.

I do have to say that I'm not at all happy with how the currently available Lapua 6BR cases perform when I blow the shoulders forward to make 'Pup cases, though. They are a 'way different animal from what Lapua was supplying when we started this project over four years ago....and not in a good way, that's for sure.

I've heard this same complaint from several people. My 6.5X47L brass is first generation, first lot acros't the pond, it's awesome. But I use 6BR from (6-8??) different lots and I find no difference, the stuff is like clay in my hands. I RARELY lose a case to anything but my own incompetence....(I've found just about EVERY way to screw up a case!) I'm tempted to just order some random brass every now and then trying to find one of these ugly lots.

On the datum line measurement, these are just my own reference numbers using a Stoney Point guage and a #400 insert.

Cool..... I'll go down' find a .400 insert, measure it for OAL and measure some cases to a datum. I'll post here and see can we find analogous ref numbers.

OK,

I'll hack down a case. I understand the balancing act of case-capacity, neck-capacity and brass weight quite well, but all's I've done so far is guesstimate from experience.

I'll find my .400 thing-a-ma-deally, index it on some "known" brass (maybe a wirginal 6BR case??) and we can compare Pups eh......

al

I've heard this same complaint from several people. But I use 6BR from (6-8??) different lots and I find no difference, the stuff is like clay in my hands. I'm tempted to just order some random brass every now and then trying to find one of these ugly lots.
al

alinwa: Don't get me wrong, the Lapua 6BR brass is still extremely high quality. In any sort of 'normal' use....any of the BR variants, BRX's, Dashers, etc....the things that are different about the newer cases will never be apparent nor will they have any effect on the cases performance or life span. But at the outer limits of BR case-dom (like blowing the shoulder foward .240) these changes in current brass are pretty apparent.

Fellow Forbidden Zoner Steve 'Redrock' Grosvenor has just finished his initial work with a 30BRX and results look very promising.

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61645

30 bas br

Back when I first started shooting and the 30 BR was emerging, Bill Truitt had a reamer made that let the 30 BR shoulder be blown ahead quite a bit and some rifles were made up from it. I had one in an HV for a time. It shot well as a 30 BAS BR. That would have been about 2001. That rifle, when I bought it was a 308 X 1.75. It shot as well with that chamber in it as the 30 BAS BR did, mebby better. Why don't we have Lapua make some of those 308 X 1.750 cases? :D

Last edited:
Supposedly, the attraction for Lapua would be a ready to go 300 meter cartridge. The 6.5x47 Lapua has not made an impact in European competition and there is a rather larger market for loaded ammo over there.

The 6mm BRX has been reasonably well explored in terms of its ballistic capability and Lapua would pretty much be getting a known quantity. The primary difference would be to give it a 6mm BR length neck which would provide greater flexibility in bullet seating and probably just make it a better case...and add more opportunities for people to fiddle with it on this side of the pond.

The U.S. market would probably embrace this cartridge if it were brought out as it would make a good varmint cartridge for intermediate distances and has a following in the competition arena.

It's my estimation

that we have too many GREAT chamberings. How about a moritorium on making any new chamberings until some of the ones we have now fall out of favor? :p

Back