UBR question

By the UBR rules (& conventions), is a sleeved 700 a "modified" rifle, or is it "custom"?

A "Modified" rifle is one that starts with a factory (Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger, etc) action. As long as it does not weigh more than 13.5 lbs with scope. These rifles may also be shot as Custom or Unlimited, but not Factory if barrels, stocks, sleeves, had been changed or added.

Rick

A "Modified" rifle is one that starts with a factory (Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger, etc) action. As long as it does not weigh more than 13.5 lbs with scope.

Thanks Rick, Since my preference is R-R, it looks like I could build one rifle to shoot all but Factory class. & Factory is too much a crap shoot for me to get seriously involved.

right charles ..if i ever build another it will be a modified 13.5 pound .100 short 22 ppc just for UBR it would run in 3 class's !

Looks like I'll be working on a 22 Beggs over the winter...same idea, one gun that should be competitive in three classes. Hoping for pretty good barrel life and cheaper(tongue in cheek) components than the 30's. It makes sense to me for UBR. I prefer RBLP, DP or RE, so it'll take some getting use to, feeding it.

I prefer RBLP, DP or RE, so it'll take some getting use to, feeding it.
Believe Savage made a RBLP action. Or, since the receiver could be modified & you can get a new bolt, you could make a RBLP Remington... Open up the top of the action, silver solder a scope base to restore stiffness, add a Savage bolt head if the Sako extraxctor bothers you, on & on & on.

Oher thoughts: Use a long 700 w/out ejector. Use it like a Panda. Pull back the bolt, insert a fresh round, then take out the empty (which will be behind the new round) before closing the bolt.

Lots of ways to do this. In point of fact, the difference between "modified" and "custom" is so small, it will likely disappear down the road. As the rules are written, what's normally considered "modified" by most people won't be competitive. All I need do, for example, is take my first BR gun, a Charlie Joines rifle built on a 40-X, and... well, there are no "ands."

Lots of ways to do this. In point of fact, the difference between "modified" and "custom" is so small, it will likely disappear down the road. As the rules are written, what's normally considered "modified" by most people won't be competitive. All I need do, for example, is take my first BR gun, a Charlie Joines rifle built on a 40-X, and... well, there are no "ands."

Charles, one of the reasons that Modified Class was set up was to encourage shooters who have old benchrest rifles, to pull them out of the safe and use them. While a RL or DP bolt configuration is very desirable, it is not as necessary as it would be in group shooting. I've shot an ancient sleeved 722 for all three seasons in Modified Class and a sleeved XP in Unlimited with a fair amount of success. These old rifles may not be quite as smooth or as fast, but they will shoot. Hope Carleton won Modified Class at the Nationals with a Rem 700 in 6BR and a GA of 511. That's pretty damn good shooting in any class and is only one point below the current record in Custom Class.

Maybe you can encourage the locals in your area to give UBR a try and spread things out to a new area. You will be welcome to come to Gallatin any time and I hope we see you at the Nationals next year.

Rick

Maybe you can encourage the locals in your area to give UBR a try and spread things out to a new area.
Rick

Rick, I'll bring it up at the Rockingham match this month. I kind of doubt they'll go for it, but we'll see. Our "Factory" rules are a little different -- the Coopers & 40-Xs are moved to modified, and we have no unlimited -- or more accurately, an unlimited shoots against the other benchrest rifles.

This year, everything was scored with a .30 reticle, so the .22s and 6mm had equal chance. Steve Stanley, a Virginia VFS shooter, did all the scoring & didn't find it slowed him down. That -- and the record keeping -- is why I don't think they'll want to go to UBR. But I brought home targets, and will do a show & tell at the October match.

BTW, most of our "modified" shooters use varmint rifles, not old BR rigs. We're poor folk down here -- a no longer competitive BR rig is either brought up to date, or sold.

BTW, most of our "modified" shooters use varmint rifles, not old BR rigs. We're poor folk down here -- a no longer competitive BR rig is either brought up to date, or sold.

Charles, I do understand where you are coming from...but, I won Modified Class the first season with a rifle that I had $350 in. Even this year after a new barrel, I have less than $800 invested in a very competitive rifle. Old BR rifles can be had for a very reasonable price, particularly the ones built on Remington actions. It really does open some doors to get in for low $$. I just bought another old sleeved Remington chambered in 222.7 last week. I just need some time to get a few pieces of brass made and see how it shoots.

Good luck at Rockingham, we need some more ranges to start holding matches.

Rick

I'm caught between two definitions of "Factory". The bottom line being that the Varming "No “custom shop” rifles: i.e. 40X, Cooper, Kimber, Dakota, Lazzaroni, & special/custom shop orders." That rules out getting a Cooper.

I'm looking at a Sako. Wonder what the VHA is going to say about that? I'd hate to shoot a match and have a protest. That'd be disturbing.

I'm caught between two definitions of "Factory". The bottom line being that the Varming "No “custom shop” rifles: i.e. 40X, Cooper, Kimber, Dakota, Lazzaroni, & special/custom shop orders." That rules out getting a Cooper.

I'm looking at a Sako. Wonder what the VHA is going to say about that? I'd hate to shoot a match and have a protest. That'd be disturbing.

I suppose that will depend on where you intend to compete with it. Coopers and Kimbers are considered "Factory Class" for UBR purposes. You might even get a break on a Dakota. From what I have seen Coopers are possibly the best gamble, but a Savage isn't far behind. Up until yesterday, a Savage was in 1st place for Factory SSOY. Saturday's Gallatin match make have altered that slightly.

Rick

...From what I have seen Coopers are possibly the best gamble, but a Savage isn't far behind.
I dunno, I'd probably take a long look at Grunig & Elmiger rifles. Believe they even make benchrest rifles as well as the 300 meter prone rifles...superbly accurate, or they don't get out the door.

I dunno, I'd probably take a long look at Grunig & Elmiger rifles. Believe they even make benchrest rifles as well as the 300 meter prone rifles...superbly accurate, or they don't get out the door.

I don't recall seeing any on an equipment list. Seem to be a bit spendy. I doubt most of us country boys would foot the bill for that. Tell you what....you get one and come show us how they shoot. Maybe you could get a distributorship :)

Rick

H-S Precision builds a full blown factory BR rifle that fits the rules also, available in both 6 and 22ppc. It too is a bit spendy @ $3850 retail. They supply it with a .250 or less target. Last I looked, it was in the Jerry's catalog.

What Savage model? That might be the intersection of the two rules that I'm looking for.

The one that seems to be the best would be a Model 12 LRPV, RBLP, sku# 18534, 6BR 1-12" twist. The person currently in 1st Place in UBR Factory Class is shooting this one.

Rick

H-S Precision builds a full blown factory BR rifle that fits the rules also, available in both 6 and 22ppc"...... wow! @ $3580 and the catalog says "out of stock", must have been a run on that model :).
Mike, what class are you suggesting this piece will fit into?... “Factory”?... because it is a cataloged item or factory available?? Or maybe “Modified”??.....not real sure I understand or agree with that interpretation on either.
-H

Lets not turn Factory Class into yet another money race.. I was the one that asked for the older wood stocked 40X to be admitted into factory class, simply because the Coopers are costing more then a used old 40X,, But I have always stated that the new Green three inch wide stocked 40X should not be allowed in factory class... Come on guys don't let this get out of hand.........LW

H-S Precision builds a full blown factory BR rifle that fits the rules also, available in both 6 and 22ppc"...... wow! @ $3580 and the catalog says "out of stock", must have been a run on that model :).
Mike, what class are you suggesting this piece will fit into?... “Factory”?... because it is a cataloged item or factory available?? Or maybe “Modified”??.....not real sure I understand or agree with that interpretation on either.
-H

Hope, I'm not aware of anything currently in the rules that would disallow it in factory class. As a matter of fact, I think the fact that you can order it from a distributor such as Jerry's is even mentioned in the rules. Don't think I'm going to be ordering one though. I agree with LW and hope it doesn't become a money game.
Part of the reason I mentioned it is because it's an area that I'd like to see addressed in the rules.

My personal opinion isn't worth much, but I'd like to keep factory class as a place for new shooters to get involved.

Back