UBR question

I agree, but I'm not going to roll $2,500 on one. I do this for fun and that would take the fun out of it.

If anyone knows where I could get a decent price on a LRPV or even what a decent price is, I'd appreciate it.

I googled up everything from $896 (out of stock) to an auction with a starting price of $1,300. That's more spread than I like to work with.

Thanks, George. If one will shoot, it's a good solution. Guess that's my Christmas present.

I deleted my original post. The Model 12 F-Class is too heavy at 13.3 pounds w/out scope. The Model 12 Bench Rest at 12.75 pounds is the only hope, and will require a light scope -- only 12 ounces for the scope is available to make 13.5 pound limit, so even the old Leupold 36 is too heavy...

How are the guys using Savages making weight?

There is a rule in the UBR Factory class that says "barrels cannot be removed or replaced even by barrels of the same manufacture." If that doesn't apply to barrels replaced & proofed by the factory, there is hope -- the Savage custom shop could put on a shorter, hence lighter barrel. Or if "recrowning" (allowed) could encompass cutting the 29-inch (or 30 for F-class) barrel down to, say, 21 inches, that would let you make weight...

How are people using those heavy Savage target rifles?

Last edited:
I deleted my original post. The Model 12 F-Class is too heavy at 13.3 pounds w/out scope. The Model 12 Bench Rest at 12.75 pounds is the only hope, and will require a light scope -- only 12 ounces for the scope is available to make 13.5 pound limit, so even the old Leupold 36 is too heavy...

How are the guys using Savages making weight?

There is a rule in the UBR Factory class that says "barrels cannot be removed or replaced even by barrels of the same manufacture." If that doesn't apply to barrels replaced & proofed by the factory, there is hope -- the Savage custom shop could put on a shorter, hence lighter barrel. Or if "recrowning" (allowed) could encompass cutting the 29-inch (or 30 for F-class) barrel down to, say, 21 inches, that would let you make weight...

How are people using those heavy Savage target rifles?

Charles,
The Savage rifle I identified for Greg (#18534) weighs in at 11 lbs. It is the model that seems to be the best. The BR model doesn't come in a 12 twist. This rifle does need some kind of flat plate for the forend, but you can still make weight with several scopes. I used a Luepold 45x with the one I had. And yes, you can "crown" it shorter if you wish.

Rick

Back