UBR Nationals - Buck Creek KY

Greyfox

UBR Nationals - Buck Creek KY -Match Results

**MATCH RESULTS ARE ON THE LAST POST**

68 rifles went to the line today at Buck Creek KY to contest 100 yards in the Ultimate Benchrest National Championships. I've been shooting at Buck Creek since 2001 and today's conditions were without a doubt, the best. The morning began with the temp around 68º and NO wind. Of course, this caused other issues since slightly out of tune rifles were obvious without the wind to push them into the X. But most figured it out quickly and made the necessary adjustments. The scores for the entire field were out standing, probably the best ever overall. I didn't bring a copy of the scores to the motel with me, but if memory serves, Jr Rigsby repeated his perfect 264 from a few weeks ago with another perfect score in Unlimited. Joey Gregory took 1st in Factory Class, Chester Bradford was 1st in Custom with a 263 and Melvin Scott had his 1st 100 yard win in Modified. We had shooters from all over the region and a couple of guys all the way from Wisconsin.

We will contest 200 yards tomorrow and similar conditions are in the forecast.

Rick

Last edited:
Scores are below. A little deciphering...The scoring program had not been made to properly display the classes.
VFS=Unlimited class
VH=Modified class
F= Factory
CU= Custom class

This was an amazingly good match! I had a blast and missed those that couldn't make it.
Congrats to the winners!
FWIW, JR's perfect score of 264 was his second during September! That's an amazing feat. It's only been done, I think 3 times since UBR began. My lone miss was close enough to be reticuled, but clearly didn't quite get the dot. Nonetheless, was enough to keep the pressure on JR, who shot great under pressure and showed just how tough a competitor he is. He has truly been on an unreal tear this year and has earned every ounce of reward that he's garnered this season.

I have some work to do this morning but will post more later. Maybe someone else can post the 200 scores as I only have the 100 and the grand.

What a good match!!

ubr100 a.jpg
ubr100 b.jpg

Last edited:
scores

Scores are below. A little deciphering...The scoring program had not been made to properly display the classes.
VFS=Unlimited class
VH=Modified class
F= Factory
CU= Custom class

download.php

download.php

Well that's not working !!!!!!!!!

Great shooting

Wish I was there. Hurricane Harvey changed my plans. Congratulations to all great shooting.

Great Shoot

Indeed a great shoot. The match was about as efficient as I have ever seen a UBR match run. Great weather and congrats to the winners and everyone else.
We all know that cross fires are a fact of this game. They happen. But what should not happen is the offending party NOT admitting it.

Bob B

Indeed a great shoot. The match was about as efficient as I have ever seen a UBR match run. Great weather and congrats to the winners and everyone else.
We all know that cross fires are a fact of this game. They happen. But what should not happen is the offending party NOT admitting it.

Bob B

I heard something about a crossfire but didn't hear about no one owning up to it. I've made my position very clear on this subject before. Mistakes happen but it'd be difficult to not know that you have shot on someones else's target. I have zero tolerance for anyone that cheats in a game that I care so much about. If it was intentional, I hope they never come back!! Those people eventually get weeded out. They are the ones that have to live with it and I hope the guilt gives them ED!!:D

Last edited:

Bob B

Completely agree with Bob on his comment, UBR doesn't need anyone who intentionally makes a crossfire.
An accidentally made crossfire will be owned up to by any competent competitor . All a great bunch of guys,except for maybe one, really enjoy being with all, and missed a few who could not make it to the match. Congrats to all the winners. Great shooting.
JR

I want to thank everyone that worked so hard to put on such a great match.

The 2017 UBR nationals was the most competitive yet. Each class continues to grow in the number of competitors as well as the ability of the shooters.

The best thing about the UBR is that the rules and format promote growth.
As the overall number of benchrest shooters slowly declines because of age and cost-- the UBR is the best way to attract new benchrest shooters as well as retain experienced shooters.

I heard something about a crossfire but didn't hear about no one owning up to it. I've made my position very clear on this subject before. Mistakes happen but it'd be difficult to not know that you have shot on someones else's target. I have zero tolerance for anyone that cheats in a game that I care so much about. If it was intentional, I hope they never come back!! Those people eventually get weeded out. They are the ones that have to live with it and I hope the guilt gives them ED!!:D

At a National event, the use of Stationary Backers are very efficient way to ascertain the origin of a crossfire.

Perhaps that will be in UBR's future as it is with the NBRSA and IBS.

UBR Nationals - 2017

The 2017 Ultimate Benchrest Nationals are now history. If you couldn't make it, you missed a memorable match. We started on Friday with 68 rifles at 100 yards and finished with 64 IIRC for the 200 and the Grand Agg. Conditions on Friday were the best I've seen in the 16 years I've been competing at Buck Creek. Saturday's 200 yard match was much the same, but with a little more mirage and some slightly higher wind, but not much. The quality of the shooters is reflected in the scores. Half of all that completed the Grand Agg shot 500 or better. For those of you who aren't familiar with UBR scoring, 500 is the benchmark most people shoot for. There are many shooters who have yet to achieves this goal and several shot their first 500 this W/E. Congrats to you. I have attached pics of the list. I don't, at this time, have the individual 100/200 yard scores, but if I get them I will pass them along.

Some individual highlights would have to include Jr Rigsby who shot his 2nd perfect score in Unlimited in the past month with a perfect 264 at 100 yards. There is a good chance that Chester Bradford would have set a new grand agg record in Custom were it not for a unfortunate crossfire on his 3rd 200 yard target. It is also unfortunate that the guilty party did not come forward and admit is error as this cost Chester 6 points. In my mind there is little doubt that the anonymous shooter knew that he had done it. Nevertheless, Chester was still able to get the win in Custom. Congrats to all the winners and much appreciation to all the competitors. Also, thanks to Jackie and Danny for running an excellent match. Also, much thanks and appreciation to Anthony Kiefer of American Barrel Co. Anthony

I'm sure the hurricanes made in impossible for a few regular attendees to make it this year, but we did have a couple of new guys from Wisconsin who made it down to shoot with us, Dave Moyer and Jim Coffman. Thanks for coming guys.
Rick
BTW- VFS= Unlimited, VS= Modified, F= Factory, CU= Custom

Attachments

• Buck Creek GA UBR Natls 1.jpg
    Buck Creek GA UBR Natls 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Buck Creek GA UBR Natls -2.jpg
    Buck Creek GA UBR Natls -2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
BTW- VFS= Unlimited, VS= Modified, F= Factory, CU= Custom

Don't know much about this discipline so have a few questions. Is Modified VS or VH and why isn't it VM? How do Modified and Custom Differ? I googled UBR and got nothing related to shooting. Could you point me to a site that describes this discipline?

correction, there was a reference to a Magpul UBR (Utility/Battle Rifle) stock. I also googled IBS and quit after 12 pages of reference to IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

Last edited:
Sounds like nearly everyone had a great time.
It's just too bad that one low life, one bad apple, one ne'er do well had to spoil it.
Is this de ja vu, a broken record, or did this happen before? I hope bad things happen to the individual.
The miscreant did this know that she or he did it. I hope she or he knows how to read and how I feel about him or her.

Francis,
I seriously doubt this was done on purpose. I've shot many times with 90% of these folks and I'm certain it didn't happen that way. My feeling is that someone new to this group of folks and probably had never shot with them before made a mistake and was embarrassed to admit it. It is unfortunate, but things do happen. I've been shooting at Buck Creek for 16 years and I don't recall this ever happening in the past.

Rick

UBR web site

Don't know much about this discipline so have a few questions. Is Modified VS or VH and why isn't it VM? How do Modified and Custom Differ? I googled UBR and got nothing related to shooting. Could you point me to a site that describes this discipline?

correction, there was a reference to a Magpul UBR (Utility/Battle Rifle) stock.

Here you go:
http://ultimatebenchrest.com/

Bob B

Jerry,
The letters are on the computer for IBS Varmint for Score. It's my understanding that since Jackie uses it for IBS, he doesn't want to change it.
FAC=Factory is a rifle that is a factory action, factory barrel, factory stock. Weight limit 13.5 lbs
Mod=Modified is a rifle that begins with a factory action. Remington, Savage, Sako, etc. any stock, barrel, trigger etc. 13.5 lbs
Cus= Custom action, etc 13.5 lbs
UNL= Unlimited - just what it says, no weight limit, no restrictions. Rail guns included.

Rick

Backers and crossfiers

This is a prime example why backers should be used, especially at a Nationals event, like Jackie Schmidt said. UBR does not require the use of backers, that is why I didn't use them. I do have them and they are easy to put up, but a hail storm with 40mph winds can be a little problematic. it just takes more time to paste over the holes or put up new paper every target. Backers do work, and will tell you which bench fired the crossfire, if there is one. In the past we have had what the shooters thought were crossfires, but the backers proved the shot came from their bench. One guy claimed he didn't shoot the shot even after the backer proved it did. I think we are too quick to claim a crossfire when the shooter that yelled crossfire shot it himself but didn't realize it. I am not taking sides in these arguments, I am just pointing out that what we think is a crossfire very well might not be. I want to thank everyone that came out and shot with us this weekend. And I agree with Rick, that was some of the best shooting I have seen in a long time.

Jackie

I'm looking forward to an equipment list. It will be interesting to see how the different calibers hold their own against each other in the Format that neutralizes caliber differences.

The UBR Score Format is very interesting. It does allow for shooters with varying caliber sizes to, in theory, start on an equal playing field.

As to whether the two major Sanctioning Bodies would ever adopt this Format is a a question for the future.

I'm looking forward to an equipment list. It will be interesting to see how the different calibers hold their own against each other in the Format that neutralizes caliber differences.

The UBR Score Format is very interesting. It does allow for shooters with varying caliber sizes to, in theory, start on an equal playing field.

As to whether the two major Sanctioning Bodies would ever adopt this Format is a a question for the future.

Jackie,
We have never used an equipment list, but that's one of the things we will probably consider over the winter. When we started up we were pretty much bare bones getting the concept off the ground, but as we grow we are looking at all improvements and that will incorporate some rule changes.

I can give you a pretty good idea of what cartridges are being used. If you will look at the #s in red you will see 30, 6B, 6P & 22. There may be a few more but I don't think there are many.
The 30s are all 30 BR with one exception that I recall. Mike Ezell is shooting a 30 Major. The 6 Bs are 6 BR with one exception. I (Rick Fox) am shooting a 6 Beggs. I think there was one 223 in Factory Class. Wayne McNeely and me were shooting 220 Beggs, me in UNL & CU, Wayne in UNL. I can't answer every question about stocks and such but I do know actions in many cases, especially Modified Class.

Rick

Scores, maybe

Scores

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 146
Back