two part gunsmith question on 338 lapua mag

sorry al,
you said brass was an issue,
i was asking about number of firings.
i know you know how to make brass last, so if you have an issue,
there is a problem.

over the 338 lm ?
BTW, after working with it I'm not enamored of the 338 Lapua round. It's too fat. I despise boutique designs like the CheyTac because of availability problems and the 338L ls borderline ln that if I want to build one I first have to start calling around for an action....Some suppliers like 3rd Gen will keep a few on the shelf but even then it's e pita. For instance I had three hunting buddies that wanted guns. And ammo, and ballistics charts and a plan to start learning how to hunt long range. This is how it works in the real world when dealing with folks who can afford their chosen sport. I would have loved to just order up 3 sets of components and get after it but that's not possible with the 338L. Another time I built a gun for a guy and his buddy called, "what would it take to get another one before hunting season?" I turned him down.

Boutique setups suck.

Which is specifically why I have 3 Weatherby actions in my shop. BUT, due to liability I'm very restricted as to what I can do with them.

Right now the perfect big 338 does not exist and until Lapua chooses to make 404 Jeffery cases I'm stuck with low pressure usage only.

These are my thoughts on the subject.

338 Lapua Mag

Yes there are commercial actions that work well for a 338 Lap Mag. I know of 5 that were built on Sako TRGS actions. The large caliber guns Sako built as TRGSs were on the M885 magnum, action. This is almost the same action that the TRG sniper rifles are built on. The TRGS doesn't come with a picatinny rail, it comes with dovetails that mate to the Sako Optilok mounts and has a longer tapered front to the action that tapers down to accept sporter weight barrels. The gunsmith that built mine remover that portion and added a Remington style recoil lug. When Beretta bought Sako they dropped the TRGS and I got one from CDNN as they sold them off. I wish I had bought them all!

Yep! Forgot about the Sako. When you find one now you may as well 'spring' for a custom action. It'd be about the same price.

sorry al,
you said brass was an issue,
i was asking about number of firings.
i know you know how to make brass last, so if you have an issue,
there is a problem.

BTW, pls check your sources carefully before spending money....many opinions are just "Ferd VS Chubby" arguments.

AFAIK Norma makes Nosler's cases and I have tested them both. AND Norma makes Weatherby's cases.....again, same story.

So, to get back to the question regarding "chamberings based on the RUM case" (actually the 404 Jeffery) I use Rem.

The one offering I haven't chosen to set up for is the "338 BooBoo" cuz I ain't flyin' to Europe to bring back cases LOL

Also, regarding "commercial actions" it's not good enough for me that an action "be available" it must also be capable.

I'm also building/testing hand-held shoulder fired 50BMG's and I don't have any Barrett's.

Nor any AR-50's

Nor any ALS/Spartan/Ferret/Zel/SHF abominations

Nor any Hi-Points

I haven't seen a new Remington manufactured RUM case in a very long time!

Yea shortgrass

When I bought mine when CDNN had then for $500. Mine was a 30/378 WEA never fired a shot through it. Make you a good deal on the barrel?

gentlemen,
some back ground on my original question.
i just built a 300 win mag mk 13 (SEAL sniper) rifle.
the mil considers it a 1500 yd rifle that is easily used
passed that. i believe i can hit out to 200 on large targets.
when the mil went to the "improved" 300 win mag round, it was in response
to being unable to "afford" the 338 lm which out performed everything they tested.
( no i do not know what they tested).
i was looking to add some yardage to my rifle collection.
Al's bbl profile is not what i am looking at, i am guessing he adds a brake
and has a light weight hunting rifle( light being a relative term).
the current sniping record is just over 2700 yards and was set with a
338 lm. the other 4 in the top 5 are all 50 bmg rifles.

about that take-off barrel

When I bought mine when CDNN had then for $500. Mine was a 30/378 WEA never fired a shot through it. Make you a good deal on the barrel?

No thanks. Got plenty of tent/tomato stakes.....

Accuracy International?

Al,

Do you have any experience with the AI actions in .338LM? I like the design, but of course you have to buy the whole rifle (AFAIK) to get one. They're fairly popular (and successful) at some of the sniper matches.

GsT

"expierence" with an ai 338 lm, on my budget ??
yes i have seen pictures, and the us navy SEALS went with an ai in
300 win mag back a few years ago.
Al,

Do you have any experience with the AI actions in .338LM? I like the design, but of course you have to buy the whole rifle (AFAIK) to get one. They're fairly popular (and successful) at some of the sniper matches.

GsT

Al,

GsT

I do not. The only "AI" stuff I'm familiar with are the magwells/chassis as provided by Badger Ordnance, Surgeon, CDI, PT&G etc etc....and I detest the whole single-stack concept.

THEY DO SHOOT FINE if you can get blocked up well enough the clear the huge hanging scrotum of a magazine system. It's like shooting a spitted hog.

The AI stock/chassis design looks solid but I don't buy expensive complete rifles because they're always deficient in ways that I consider important. After watching Outdoor Life suck the marrow out of SSG&Y with a test wherein factory Savage rifles outshot a $5000.00 Speedy Gonzales custom job I realized that all the "custom" in the world can't compensate for fit..... For instance the barrels, while they may be name-brand custom are always chambered too long, too fat-in-the-neck and never timed nor the chambers aligned.

I think two-handed rifles are as stupid as two-handed phones. (I'm the guy who spends beaucoup bux to carry TWO telephones, one, a flip, to TALK on and one to tape to my dash and use as a tracking computer.) I've never made a phone call on my "Smartphone" and I'll never walk through the woods arms akimbo carrying a two-handed gun. I don't care if they shoot, so do my conventionally profiled rifles.

rant OFF

lol

al

When I wanted to build a looong range rifle, I skipped the Lapua which as stated the RUM's will basically match and picked up a single shot Stiller Chey Tac action and built a 338-408 Chey Tac. It will drive the 300's at 3150-3200 fops without wasting the $4 ea brass. Build it on a heavy platform and shoot at paper from a long ways away w/ 140gr of H50BMG powder pushing the high BC 300's. It's impressive. Save $ with the same action, no need for a repeater IMO.

Stolle Panda 338 Lapua Mag.

A little "plug" for our own product: We make a Panda action large enough for the 338 Lapua Magnum. We recently had a customer use one of our actions with a 7mm/338 Lapua. He mistakenly loaded a charge WAY over the maximum (estimated pressure was 120,000+ PSI). The lugs were set back 0.023", and the bolt was frozen in the receiver. The lugs didn't shear off and everything stayed intact, and the shooter didn't get injured. Fortunately the configuration was a right bolt-right port, so there was less of a chance for the shooter getting debris in his face.

Several years ago, we also had a customer mistakenly load 28g of pistol powder in a Panda/PPC (fireforming 220R to PPC). The estimated pressure was over 135,000+ PSI. Again, the bolt stayed in the receiver and didn't shear the lugs, and the shooter only had minor injuries. This receiver was a right bolt-left port.

So, if you are looking for a robust and safe action for the 338 Lapua Magnum, have a look at our product.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

thank you greg,
i have two of your lower end actions and i love them.
was hoping to find a commercial action,
but it appears that the only commercials cost as much as a
custom.

thank you greg,
i have two of your lower end actions and i love them.
was hoping to find a commercial action,
but it appears that the only commercials cost as much as a
custom.

Note that while many of the commercial actions are set up for staggered magazines AFAIK only the Stiller 338L is among the custom offerings. I just called Kelbly's and Ian told me theirs is cut for the single-stack "CIP" or "AI" style mag.

What do you want to know about the AI action? I did their barrel work for 6+years. Stiller 338's do not take a staggered magazines. The AI AXMC is the only rifle I know that has a double stack 338 Lapua magazine. Many custom short actions are machined to accept the AI double stack 308 mag.

dave,
i an looking at a 2000+ yard steel target prone rifle.
it is two shots( one and a second allowed if the first is a miss)
so a single stack or single shot rifle is fine.
this is a future project as i have not finished wringing out
my 300 win mag navy SEAL mk 13 clone.
it appears that to be on the safe side, money wise,
a custom action would be best as commercial quality
actions seem to cost nearly as much.
thanks

Stiller 338's do not take a staggered magazines. The AI AXMC is the only rifle I know that has a double stack 338 Lapua magazine..

Well here's one :)

100_0183.JPG

This rifle is chambered in a blown out 338L, .010 tpi and 35* shoulder, specifically throated to accept 300gr Bergers and 280gr Barnes. It holds 2 down with a removable magazine and I built another one that'll take two down with a BDL floorplate and 3 down with a dropped floorplate. It carries thru the woods like a deer rifle and hits like the hammers of hell. They both shoot 1/4moa for real.

Wheww, never thought I'd argue with Tooley! :) I'm sweatin' a little....

Back