two part gunsmith question on 338 lapua mag

If you are wanting the reigning 2 mile winner, you need the 375 Lethal Magnum. The recently released 375 Warlord reamers and brass will be available soon. They were shooting a 400 grain Berger experimental bullet at about 3100fps. Water capacity is 190 grains. The brass is made from Ed Hubel's 585HE brass. I have a few pieces of brass coming to play with. About 4.800" loaded OAL

I'M not sure that even with a brake and suppressor my shoulder would take that.
i know my wallet will not.
If you are wanting the reigning 2 mile winner, you need the 375 Lethal Magnum. The recently released 375 Warlord reamers and brass will be available soon. They were shooting a 400 grain Berger experimental bullet at about 3100fps. Water capacity is 190 grains. The brass is made from Ed Hubel's 585HE brass. I have a few pieces of brass coming to play with. About 4.800" loaded OAL

Well here's one :)

View attachment 18603

This rifle is chambered in a blown out 338L, .010 tpi and 35* shoulder, specifically throated to accept 300gr Bergers and 280gr Barnes. It holds 2 down with a removable magazine and I built another one that'll take two down with a BDL floorplate and 3 down with a dropped floorplate. It carries thru the woods like a deer rifle and hits like the hammers of hell. They both shoot 1/4moa for real.

Wheww, never thought I'd argue with Tooley! :) I'm sweatin' a little....

Nothing to sweat. I'd like to see a pic of the magazine loaded. Not sure we're thinking about the same thing.My idea of a double stack mag is one that works like a conventional Remington mag box which uses the rails in the action. Instead of action rails AI uses the mag lips in place of the feed rails. That arrangement won't fit in a Stiller or any round action out there without major metal removal, probably can't be done. It takes a wide flat bottom action to have the width to make a true staggered, feed from either side mag work.

Nothing to sweat. I'd like to see a pic of the magazine loaded. Not sure we're thinking about the same thing.My idea of a double stack mag is one that works like a conventional Remington mag box which uses the rails in the action. Instead of action rails AI uses the mag lips in place of the feed rails. That arrangement won't fit in a Stiller or any round action out there without major metal removal, probably can't be done. It takes a wide flat bottom action to have the width to make a true staggered, feed from either side mag work.

I can't get pix of either rifle as they're sold and out making gutpiles somewhere. I think that one's in Wasilla. I'll see if I have pics of the build....and look up the build sheet to find whose parts are in it.

But that's a Stiller TAC 338 action in a modified Hogue overmolded AL chassis stock with aftermarket Rem700 bottom metal. I _think_ it's 1st gen steel HS Precision magnum setup. The rifle is not built from "listed parts." I realize that Jerry lists it as "AI only".....Either they used to come with feed rails or I just made it up from parts in my bottom metal stash. I've got examples of pretty much every make/model/brand of bottom metal and/or chassis system, Wyatt etc extended boxes and Weatherby boxes which can be adapted. IIRC the screw spacing on the TAC 338 is Rem700 LA, only the diameter is changed to 1.450 and the action face extended forward about a half inch.......Whatever bottom metal setup I used on the removable box system on the pictured rifle, I jigged it up with pillars, set all the spacing and angles and got it to feed. And, again IIRC, I made the mag box on the BDL-Style one I built, or modified it from something, but in any case it is exactly as you describe, an alternating feed staggered, flush-mount box. I detest the hanging scrotum AI boxes. I built a few 338L's with the AI chassis I didn't even enjoy shooting them. The systems isolate and shoot well once you get them blocked up a couple feet off the ground BUT, they carry like a folding chair.....

I was happy enough with the setups that I had MPI set up a mold to make me a stock that's .200 wider than normal with a tiny fishbelly and have all the specs for a blind-bottomed "Rem700 ADL" style build which will (hopefully) hold 3 down. I've got a mag box and follower welded up...The stock's setting here, everything in hand except actions.....the last time I called on actions I chased my tail for a few days and then decided fuh'GEDDABOUDIT!! I hate looking for custom actions....if I can't have one in hand within 3-5 days, ANY days, I'm not really interested. I got my own tools so I don't have to live on "Gunsmith's Time." So now I'm testing a bunch of other 338's of all sorts. I even spent a few grand on steenkin' Weatherby guns because they fit.....but I ain't building a 338L on a 1" tenon..will screw the bbls back on and sell 'em, long-story-short I kinda' fell out of love with the 338L.

Back