trouble throwing charges

We did manage to get bench time in this odd winter - warm then cold, then back again. There are some southern matches coming up and I don't want those confederates taking advantage of me.

Francis, you and Jan head South to River Bend next weekend. Supposed to be in the 80's.

LVHV 100/200....

So...what y'all seem to be saying is that weighed charges keep you happier than thrown charges. Doesn't matter at all if it's better or not you're just saying that weighed charges make more sense than thrown charges. Pretty good answers!

Wilbur Wilbur Wilbur.....
Where did anyone say that a thrown charge was more accurate than a well weighed charge ???

I do not think anyone said that at all.
They did say do what makes you happy because the average shooter cannot tell the difference.

So...what y'all seem to be saying is that weighed charges keep you happier than thrown charges. Doesn't matter at all if it's better or not you're just saying that weighed charges make more sense than thrown charges. Pretty good answers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim I know and understand

What you said in your last post. You must be very confident in your abilities that it does not matter to you.

Here is a challenge for you all.

Try and organize, run, score and shoot a match and feel confident. I have done it and I will tell you my days of doing that are over. So if weighing is one little that works for some and keeps them in that Zen place they need or want...... do it.

I know I am not good enough of a shooter yet to feel or see that weighing makes no difference. 8 years of shooting and I have YET to shoot a teen agg in a yardage. Maybe the day will come now that I have a rifle built by one of the best.......

WELL if you were weighing on a .0001 nano scale , you would have had the teen ag long ago....

Lol sorry could not pass it up

I have not shot a teen ag in practice!...
Ok i only shoot 22rf in comp.

What you said in your last post. You must be very confident in your abilities that it does not matter to you.

Here is a challenge for you all.

Try and organize, run, score and shoot a match and feel confident. I have done it and I will tell you my days of doing that are over. So if weighing is one little that works for some and keeps them in that Zen place they need or want...... do it.

I know I am not good enough of a shooter yet to feel or see that weighing makes no difference. 8 years of shooting and I have YET to shoot a teen agg in a yardage. Maybe the day will come now that I have a rifle built by one of the best.......

i AM

What I'm confident in saying is if I miss that change in my flag a perfectly weighed charge wouldn't help me

the one who started this mess. What I discovered was that my thrown charges were not nearly as accurate as my weighed ones. Not only were they not accurate, they were way the hell and gone off. I went on to say that I will continue to weigh charges until such time that I can throw powder consistently enough to"probally know" that I screwed up somewheres else besides the damn powder charge. This would indeed go a ways toward making me happy. This assuming of course that the charge I threw or wanted to throw was the one required in the first place..All the info gleaned from the contributors of this thread will go toward that end. Thanks to all again!

LASER

Okay answer this for me

You throw a charge with a target weight of 30.1grs. Some throw 1/10th high some 1/10th low for the same match. That is an overall spread of 2/10th. I know I load develop in changes of 3/10th. 2/10th is pretty close to that. From what I have heard and read over the years 3/10ths could be the difference of being in and out of tune. Am I not right on what I have heard over the years?

Why would you take the chance that one is in tune? And then miss a switch and the outcome is even worse?

Just asking. There are way more here that know more than I do.

I'll say this then bow out to the more experienced as well.
What I'm trying to say is if you miss a slight condition change you've missed it.
The charge whether perfectly weighed or not isn't going to help. A load that's off a tenth or two is no where near as important as reading the flags. Time is better spent learning the flags than worrying about weighing powder

Now, Jason, you were doing so well until that last thing.

I should be able to get some fruitful practice in during these next few days. No, wait, is that futile practice? We did manage to get bench time in this odd winter - warm then cold, then back again. There are some southern matches coming up and I don't want those confederates taking advantage of me.

Cheryl and I will take you and Jan out to a cool place to eat if you would only come down. I know its a haul, but we miss seeing yall.
Charlie

The problem has been documented that thrown n133 is not typically plus or minus 0.1..but more like .3 or .4.
It was posted again last year by mike in co after his trip to a 100/200 match.

It has been posted by jackie several times.

I said once before you cannot test to 0.1 with a scale that is only 0.1.
I have a big engineering background, quality control, statistics.
It appears that most do not want to know, they want to continue doing what they have been doing, no desire to learn.
Come visit in so cal, but bring your own water...

You throw a charge with a target weight of 30.1grs. Some throw 1/10th high some 1/10th low for the same match. That is an overall spread of 2/10th. I know I load develop in changes of 3/10th. 2/10th is pretty close to that. From what I have heard and read over the years 3/10ths could be the difference of being in and out of tune. Am I not right on what I have heard over the years?

Why would you take the chance that one is in tune? And then miss a switch and the outcome is even worse?

Just asking. There are way more here that know more than I do.

I weigh because...

when I miss, I know it wasn't the powder charge, therefore it had to be something else. Now, I try to find that something else. Was it table manners or a missed condition. If table manners were good, then something down field, but that isn't always apparent. If it had been apparent I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. Even so, I now investigate more diligently KNOWING it was out there. I shoot score but do test using groups even on the score target. When the load opens up, I know the tune is bad and not because of an over or under charged case. For me, powder charges are one less variable to sort out given that the charge is correct. I am not saying weighing is more accurate, just better for me. As Wilbur said, it makes me happy!

In a different vein, at most score matches, shooting two guns with at most three relays and many times just two, there isn't time to reload at the range anymore. I have to go pre-loaded so weighing becomes an easier proposition in a climate controlled environment.

when I miss, I know it wasn't the powder charge, therefore it had to be something else. Now, I try to find that something else. Was it table manners or a missed condition. If table manners were good, then something down field, but that isn't always apparent. If it had been apparent I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. Even so, I now investigate more diligently KNOWING it was out there. I shoot score but do test using groups even on the score target. When the load opens up, I know the tune is bad and not because of an over or under charged case. For me, powder charges are one less variable to sort out given that the charge is correct. I am not saying weighing is more accurate, just better for me. As Wilbur said, it makes me happy!

In a different vein, at most score matches, shooting two guns with at most three relays and many times just two, there isn't time to reload at the range anymore. I have to go pre-loaded so weighing becomes an easier proposition in a climate controlled environment.

Just as a note. At a registered Match, the Directors have to give shooters time to load. I believe the rule is 25 minutes from cease fire to commence fire.

Do they allow Union troops there?
80? Not sure I could handle that.
How early can a guy who needs practice get on the club grounds? Say Thursday?
Are you going? When will you be there?

I'm going Wensday. I think Jim is actually opening Monday. Jan can watch TV in my camper or we'll set her up to shoot!

Last edited:
and thought I had it working. Threw a hole damn pound or so, weighing each charge with a balance scale. Was getting pretty consistent.Sometime later I Went to the range and was all over the place compared to previous trips. Did not think it was powder but went down the list and found wacky weights. They were not even close to each other(+/- .5 or worse) When I did initial load development I went to range with several different charges loaded with the chargemaster, bullets, and the seater. At some point things were going pretty well. Next time out with thrown charges ... From reading previous posts, I think from Boyd, I will have to practice more and check at each loading session if I try the thrown vs weighed. I have been doing this long enough to know that all my issues are possibly not only the powder charge..
One reason I went with the Beggs was simplicity. Was told get H4198 and go shootin'. Bought a Beggs reamer from Kiff. a bushing die from Beggs and a couple of Brux bbls. Had them chambered and screwed on a BAT. I am thinking of contacting Mr. Beggs and asking him if a trip to Texas and tunnel time is possible. Woulda' been nice to do it in October and catch the Grand Prix.
At this point, building whatever it takes to use the chargemaster at the range is the least hassle free option. Perhaps,maybe, I think so. Anyhow I will try it. Heading to the lumber yard soon to be ready when weather breaks.
Tim Thompson
Hanover PA

With the oil bust you can probably now get a Motel 6 room in Odessa for less than $250.00. Been to Gene's tunnel twice and it's a fantastic place to learn tuning. Just wish I had taken better notes. If Gene ever lets me come back I'll videotape everything.

As far as protecting the Chargemaster, some people just cut a hole in the side of a cardboard box. I'm probably going to be limiting my, away from home, benchrest shooting to Raton where you load indoors (away from the roll-up door).

Wilbur Wilbur Wilbur.....
Where did anyone say that a thrown charge was more accurate than a well weighed charge ???

I do not think anyone said that at all.
They did say do what makes you happy because the average shooter cannot tell the difference.

I read and re-read what I wrote (what you quoted) and can't find what you're talking about.

Back