Time for a new cleaning rod...

G

Gary O

My first new rod in 30 years. Will use it on my .22 & 30 cal rifles. What say you? Whose do I buy?

Wow, if you got 30 years out of your last rod, go with that brand. I would buy two one-piece coated cleaning rods, one for .224 and one for .308 and good bore guides. Make sure the rod is long enough to pass throuogh the bore but not overly long so that it flexes. I've been using one-piece coated ball bearing Bore-Tech rods and there are other similar rods out there. - nhk

the new dewys with 2 bearings are very good.
i have two bore tech's also
i stick with coated rods, kept clean.....
mike in co

The Tipton rods get strange reviews; a bunch of 5 stars and a cluster of one stars. Either folks love the way they work or they fail completely and are useless. Odd...

I bought my first Ivy 2 yrs ago. Best I've ever owned. Greg

Went with Pro Shot; nice rod, good price...thanks fot you imput.

(what happens when a 22 rod is used as a 30.....ouch)

Mike, the jags step up in size at the shoulder on threaded end, I think at .277 and up. That leaves a step on the jag that is larger than the rod diameter, of the rods below .277 caliber....not what needs to be dragged back across the crown.

Mike E.

Last edited:
Ivy rods!! Get a Boretech and take a chance of impaling yourself. I would quit cleaning my rifles if I had to use carbon fibre rods.
Butch

butch....mine are coated steel ..
??????????????

mike in co

Hey Butch.
I got lucky. Bought a Tipton Carbon fiber. That was before I saw my first Custom 6PPC.
So I was told to buy a Dewey. Bent the sh*t out of it. I was talking to Krupa and it took off on it's own. Almost got him. Jag hit the ground. Got the jag straight. That was the easy part. It was bent half way back to the handle. It had some tool marks by the handle. Had to use a spanner wrench and big hammer to get it out. Sinclair patches were a couple of threads too many. And when cut, they were not clamped right. So the patches were a little big. Banged it back, the rod took flight. Hit the wall behind me. Ricocheted right by my head. Almost got Krupa in the back. He called me a back stabber.
What happened after that. I am not sure. The Dewey was never the same.
But, the Tipton. I use it as my brushing rod. Just like Dwight says to. Epoxy the jag to one rod. And use the other for brushing. That rod has never bent or bowed. I heard some horror stories. Carbon exploding. Guys getting blinded. dogs running for their likes. Wives crying and all that.
The Tipton rod is great.
But, I got hooked up with that Steve Theye guy. I was really talking to Ted Handlesman. Ya know, Every time I talk to Steve. My credit card bill goes up. Stay away from that Steve Theye guy. If he likes ya. Your in good. If not watch out.
Just joking about Steve. He hooked me up with the new Pro-Shot rod. Just what I was looking for. Got the new coating. The rod is thicker. Bearings so I am told. Got a Yellow handle.

Back