Time for a new cleaning rod...

So what is softer?
Stainless Steel.
Carbon fiber,
Delrin.
Or What? Will wear out, which faster?
All the above.
Under certain conditions.

RWO, great idea using the heat-shrink tubing. I just tried it on one of my Dewey rods with two different kinds of heat-shrink tubing but, it seemed too thick to enter my rifle barrel in the action. The only thing that I can think is that the dewy metal rod is thicker then the old Parker-Hale rod you did it to or youe PH was thinner, or the heat shrink tubing I tried was to thick. I went to the web site that you posted and will order some of the all electronics heat shrink tubing and give that a try, who knows it may be thinner and work. thanks john.

I am always amazed when I read of all these rod issues. I think that many shooters move their rods too fast, and run their patches too tight. They also seem to rationalize using cheap rod guides on expensive barrels. I am sure that gunsmiths and barrel makers love all of the above. In the past I have used a Sinclair .22 cal. (CF) piercing style jag, with their 1 3/8 sq. flannel patches. Somehow running tight patches that cause most of the solvent to be squeegeed off int the chamber makes no sense to me, when it is the solvent that is doing the work (except when brushing). I use a rod guide that has a bushing on the rod, that is a tight fit on the rod and in the guide, and extends as far forward as it can, and still let the jag or brush come out of the bore. The only time that I have rod stiffness issues is with a new brush, and a little care is all that is required for that. My Dewey rod had served me for many years when the new handles came out. I ordered one and replaced the old one. At this rate, it will outlive me. A friend who wanted more stiffness for brushes likes his pro shot. It is very straight, stiff, and highly polished. Recently I have tried these. http://www.boreriderbarrelcareproducts.com/p/contac-us.html I think that they are a very good idea, better than what I have been using, once I learned to tighten the brush more than I am used to. I am sure that my crowns will appreciate the change. I will have to extend my rod holders. That will be no problem. I made them.

The Tipton rods get strange reviews; a bunch of 5 stars and a cluster of one stars. Either folks love the way they work or they fail completely and are useless. Odd...

"Fail completely" is the story of my experience with 4 Tipton Carbon fiber rods. The brass ends broke off after the rods fatigued right where the brass end meets the carbon fiber rod. Won't buy any more of them.

Fitch

Recently I have tried these. http://www.boreriderbarrelcareproducts.com/p/contac-us.html I think that they are a very good idea, better than what I have been using, once I learned to tighten the brush more than I am used to. I am sure that my crowns will appreciate the change. I will have to extend my rod holders. That will be no problem. I made them.

Thankyouverymuch for that link. His Jag and brush guide designs look worth trying. Not having the jag/rod joint bumping the crown however gently has to be a huge improvement.

Fitch

So what is softer?
Stainless Steel.
Carbon fiber,
Delrin.
Or What? Will wear out, which faster?
All the above.
Under certain conditions.

As for stainless the Ivy rods were (may still be) made of annealed 17-4 SS and were somewhat soft and could be bent. The late Bill Myers made rods of hardened ground 17-4 SS. They had a spring temper and were difficult to bend in normal use. Bill would grab one of his his rods at each end and pull it into an almost 90º bend and it would go right back straight when he released it. Nothing seems to embed in the hardened rods either. He made me one and I have made a few more for myself and one close friend since his passing. The base material is expensive and carbide is required to machine it.

Last edited:
Boyd you are prolly right. Why jam a patch in there if it don't fit. I guess patches are hard to make accurately. I have tried the all.
Guess, I will drop down a size and let the brush do the work.

Hi Guys,
Been a while since I have been on here. Love the site, but just don't have time... :(

Just to clear up any confusion. My rods are made out of 17-4 in the annealed condition. I would not say that they are quite soft though. The Rockwell C hardness of my steel is around 36 points. They are stiff and straight. Yes, they can bend, but it takes quite a bit of misuse and abuse to do that. WSnyder is right, the Myers rods were awesome. They were also very expensive. Material costs can be more than what my rods retail at. For some, it is worth the extra money for the best.

WSnyder, would you send me an email if you don't mind? I would like to discuss the harder rod material with you. denny@ivyrods.com

Thank you everyone!
Denny

Back