This is what I have been fooling with while not shooting

Jackie,
What brand of valve covers are those? I like the clean finned look.

Thanks,
Keith

Those valve covers are old Cal Customs from back in the '60's-'70's. I painted them and then sanded the tops of the ribs.

You can find them on E-Bay for between $100-$200 depending on the condition.

Why?

Because boys must have toys; no matter what their age. :p Right Jackie?

Neat toys give you that warm, fuzzy feeling that transcends everything else. :)

Just curious Jackie....have you run it for time yet?

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

No, here is the problem.......This is a 100 percent street car.

I do have about as good of suspension as you can put on a Chevelle, Hotckiss Controle arms, Edlebrock No-Hop bars, pinion angle is correct, and I have a set of Mickey Thompson DOT drag radials that I bolt on periodically.

I am running a 3.31 gear, but this TCI 6 speed automatic has a 2.97 first, 2.23 second, 1.57 third, 1.18 fourth, 1.00 fifth, and a .69 overdrive. As you can see, it is very close ratio, that first gear is like having a 4.11 rear gear with a Turbo 400. The car weighs 3680 lbs without me in it.

If it hooks at all, it should be good for about an 11.50. If it hooks good, say it gets at least a 1.60 60 ft time, it has the HP to weight ratio to get into the high ten second range.

So, they are not going to let me run it at Houston International Raceway Park without a Roll Bar. They are pretty strict out there.

I have a 1/4 mile laid out on the new Hyway 90 feeder, a nice straight concrete stretch. My electronic speedometer says I can hit 123 mph in that 1/4 mile. From a dead stop, I am in 4th gear, (1.18), at 5800 At the 1/4 mile mark.You do the math.

But like I said, it's a street car.

I have had it to 5900 rpm in 5th, (1-1), and with the converter in lock-up, that is about 145 mph with the 275/60 tire roll out.

But, since I have never had it to the track, I should not even speculate. A official time slip is the only thing that counts.

It's like a Benchrest Rifle. Don't say it will shoot a "zero" unless you have done it in a match, with moving backers.

But, I don't have to have a official time slip to say that this thing will scare the cr-p out of you.;)

Last edited:
Thanks for those details Jackie. And I agree, there's no substitute for a timeslip. That said, with what you've provided I have no problem speculating 10's for that ride. You have really stout torque and the weight isn't over the top.

Again, great looking '67 and I appreciate you sharing it in this post. I know I'm not the only benchrester afflicted with the horsepower bug.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Jackie, this is my project over the past year......a 68 Nova that I race in G/SA in NHRA Stock Eliminator.

The motor has to have the stock compression ratio, unmodified stock cyl. heads and valve sizes, unmodified factory intake and carb, the cam has to be factory lift (but can be any profile) etc. etc. With the rules being so restrictive, you have to tweak and massage every part and piece to find the tiniest bit of power.

After the season ended, I put the motor on the dyno to get a baseline prior to a pretty extensive redo:

In about six weeks, it'll go back to the dyno and we'll see what kind of power it makes after the freshen up.

Love the look of your Chevelle, Jackie! :D -Al

Last edited:
Jackie, this is my project over the past year......a 68 Nova that I race in G/SA in NHRA Stock Eliminator.

The motor has to have the stock compression ratio, unmodified stock cyl. heads and valve sizes, unmodified factory intake and carb, the cam has to be factory lift (but can be any profile) etc. etc. With the rules being so restrictive, you have to tweak and massage every part and piece to find the tiniest bit of power.

After the season ended, I put the motor on the dyno to get a baseline prior to a pretty extensive redo:

In about six weeks, it'll go back to the dyno and we'll see what kind of power it makes after the freshen up.

Love the look of your Chevelle, Jackie! :D -Al

Old double hump heads...talk about memories. Is it a 327...Just guessing, but would I be far off if it made north of 390 HP.

I have a friend that is into Stock Eliminator, he runs a 69 Camaro with a 325 HP 396, CS/A I think. Darn thing runs "tens".

As the old saying goes......"there ain't nothing stock or cheap about Stock Eliminator".

Nice Nova

Jackie...yep, it's a 327/275 horse motor. It needs to make at least 410 hp to be competitive and 418-422 hp would be a pretty stout piece. 'Course, nothing like a big inch Chevy Rat motor, is there? ;)

My little Mouse Motor along side my pal's aluminum headed 396-375 Super Stock motor:

Instead of getting boxes with barrels in 'em, these kind of boxes are showing up:

Keep the photos coming, Jackie! :cool: -Al

Jackie...yep, it's a 327/275 horse motor. It needs to make at least 410 hp to be competitive and 418-422 hp would be a pretty stout piece. 'Course, nothing like a big inch Chevy Rat motor, is there? ;)

Instead of getting boxes with barrels in 'em, these kind of boxes are showing up:

Keep the photos coming, Jackie! :cool: -Al

Al I can relate to that, just had 14 boxes arrive this past Monday and the last shipment (a month ago) was 19 boxes the freight bill alone could've bought a few barrels and bullets.

Here is one of the best "modifications" I have done, a HydraTech HydraBoost Power Break Booster. It, along with the Wilwood Four Wheel Disc Brakes, really gives my Malibu the stopping power it needs.

This unit comes as a complete bolt on kit. It runs in series with the Power Steering Pump.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15680&stc=1&d=1419390247

I'm putting a Hydraboost on my Mustang, but using Baer 6s brakes, I love brakes that can stop as good as you can go...........Ian

It's amazing how many shooters are also car guys, isn't it?

Lee...your Nova is a great looking piece!

I found my way back to the drag strip by way of my 'street sleeper' Fox bodied Mustang:

There was a lot going on with the car..not the least of which was the blown 5.0 with more.....err...'updates' ;) It gave the local street 'heroes' fits! :cool:

As great a street car as it was, I also found it frustrating. I couldn't let the car do what it was designed to do....at least not on the street. And it was just a matter of time before I was going to get my azz in trouble on the street with it. :eek:

My last race car, a '67 Camaro Super Stocker circa 1983. Cooling it down in the staging lanes before the semi finals:

Al, how much boost are you putting out with that Powerdyne Unit.

I have heard that many street guys like them because they have an internal belt instead of gears as the overdriven for the impeller. You don't even suspect there is a supercharger hanging off the engine unless you open the hood, or watch his tail lights disappear.

Houston is full of guys running around with all sorts of really wicked set-ups. My younger brother has a CTS-V station wagon. He ordered it with the 6 speed standard. He sent it to Lingenfelter and had their Stage 3 package all done, which also includes some suspension ipgrades. The chassis dyno says 710 HP......at the rear wheels. The thing is absolutly brutal, sounds like a hive of angry bumble bees when it hits 6500.

My wife is about ready for a new car. I want her to get one of these. Nice little "grocery getter"
http://blog.caranddriver.com/exclusive-listen-to-the-640-hp-2016-cadillac-cts-v-bark-to-life/

Last edited:
Jackie, it's a 6 lb. boost. They make a 9 lb. unit. Things get pretty wonky when the tires get loose, anyway....

A bunch of us were talking at the race car shop the other day about what we'd buy as a new car. The winner wasn't a ZL-1 Camaro, the lighter weight Z28, a Challenger Hellcat or any of the Mustangs. Hands down, the CTS-V was the choice. :cool:

Last edited:
This is what I finished off in back in the old days, OH WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I have to know the date on that. Looks late '50's, early '60's.

I never drove a Rail, watched a many go down the old Houston International and Porter Drag Strip way back when.

Hey, like was said, old hot Rodder's never die.

Back