This could be a dumb question.

GordonE

To help the powers to be. Seeing how we don't have a whole bunch of new shooters that want to shoot Bench rest.

How many ARA shooters would participate in 50/50 matches changed to 275 scoring? This is not a witch hunt! For the people trying to figure this out. A number would sure help them.

Put your name on this thread. Show up and shoot. Then if 50/50 changes they can see if they made the right decision one way or the other.

Never happen, they like chicken sheet rules. A shame that all the shooters can't agree......Nice try Gordon.....Fish inbound.

Jim
We lost bunch of the good old boys. We never met face to face until me and Mel showed up to your house. We had one of the best Steak Dinners i have ever eaten. Next day we went to the Craw fish.( Hooters Gun No girls! Bill came through a couple years later) We talked EVERY DAY for three years after we met! Back then we all had fun. A small group with with a inflated Eggo. May have spoiled the fun.

50 views no takers

Jim
Screw shooting!!!!!! ......Count me in for next year!!!! Have passport in hand. Bimini here i come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would want more scope power for sporter. 275 means nothing to me I would shoot unlimited but there are not any matches close by. I can shoot ARA 3 weekends a month and not drive much more than an hour. Next year I will have 2 matches only 20 minutes from the house.

Ed Ledbetter

Eal

Do you shoot sporter now? So there are no 50/50 matches in your area. So your answer is no

Thank you for responding.

I shot sporter about 15 years ago when I would go down to Georgia also used to shoot when they had matches at Lexington Ky. The 275 scoring would not make me want to start shooting 3 gun or unlimited again. Right now it seems the nationals conflicts with a ARA tournament around here. I always wanted to shoot more than 3 cards if I had to travel any distance. Ifor I had a double UL match or a UL match at yards and meters I would shoot that. I shoot a few practice cards getting ready for the Triple Crown.

Last edited:
Gordon: I'm in a similar boat to Ed. I shoot IR50 UL at Piney Hill for two reasons; I'm a dues paying member and it is only a 3.5 hour trip one way on a good day. That is my closest to me IR50 venue. Kettlefoot, home of IR50 is a not very pleasant 8 hour drive one way. I'll stay home rather than drive that far for 3 cards.

It has nothing to do with the rules, scoring methods, or anything else. This IR50 vs ARA is silly. Show up and shoot. Know the rules and enjoy the match and the other shooters in attendance.

There have been a sum total of 2 250-25x cards shot in the history of IR50. One indoors and one outdoors if I remember correctly. Changing the scoring is not going to change that. We all have something to strive for. bob

I have the same issue as Ed. Closest place is 4.5 hours (Kettlefoot). I still plan to build a Sporter once I know if any rules change. I will make a match there, but with my work travel schedule, it makes it tough.

As I have said before, scoring doesn't matter to me. I am basically waiting to see if there is any change in the requirement for the action to be a repeater. I would like to be able to use one of my existing 2500x actions, but will get an XS if needed.

Thanks for posting guys. Travel time to a match would be a bigger concern than how the target is scored.

More ranges more matches

It sounds like it may be a good idea trying to recruit more ranges/match directors to hold more IR 50/50 matches.

There was a time the southeast had many clubs shooting IR 50/50.

We need to reach out to these clubs and see what we can do to get them back in the program.

Anyone have any ideas how we could go about doing this?

TKH

I don't know about others but

I have come to a point in my life where I want to do some other things beside chase SOTY points and spend too many weekends at shooting ranges. It seems now every week one of my contemporaries dies. I don't love shooting so much that I want to die at a range. I suspect the same thing has happened to a lot of people in my age bracket. I retired from running matches at the end of our last three gun match. Enough is enough.

I know people complain about the cost of ammo but I think it's the quantity of good lots is as big the problem. I just tested 7 lots of ammo. I ordered only lots with at least a case available. By the time the ammo got to me and I tested, the best one was all gone but 6 boxes. I have found that to be true right through the past few years. Back in the late 90's when I first started, I use to be able to buy a two box package of Midas L and be confident that it would shoot. What has happened to the quality of ammo? I suspect most of the good lots never leave Europe. So, it's difficult. The ammo is definitely a big part of the problem, in my opinion. Not enough dealers will work with shooters on lot numbers. Same is true with pellets in the Air Gun games. Guess they don't have to but back in the 90's more of them would work with shooters. I also know folks group up and test and buy up what few good lots exist. This limits the good stuff to only a few people. Good for them but it doesn't do much to encourage the rest of the folks trying to compete. If IR 50/50 can do something about making more good ammo available to more people, mebby that would help.

So, I will shoot less Rimfire and more Center fire from now on. I can make good lots, still, for my CF rifle.

Pete

Number of matches

Some clubs have way to many matches so the point chasers can stay home and get into the hall of fame. They tend to burn out the shooters to quickly. It also takes a lot of ammo. Makes it hard for other clubs to schedule their matches.

I have a question

Is it really more a matter of where the matches are held. I am not familiar with the east coast much. Is ARA more south and the IR50 more north? Are there ARA matches in the same areas that the IR matches are? I believe Boerne TX runs an IR match down here, but that is about it. Attendance may be more based on region versus discipline. In Texas there are fewer matches and attendance is not as good as over by Georgia etc. It may be more based on a level of interest. I wish we had the same amount of matches around here that the southeast has, but we just don't seem to have the amount of people willing to shoot. IF ara and ir matches are held at the same basic place and time and attendance is widely different, then change may be in order. IF they are not, who really knows.

Personally I shoot the IR matches around the triple crown. I really don't like the points being such a step function in value. Dropping a point is a huge issue because all the scores are in groups within a few points of perfect. The simple change of making the dot a 10 and wiping it an X, the 10 is now a 9 etc would take that step function out and spread the scores at the top and make missing much less drastic. We don't have matches here, but if we did, I would shoot the ara before the ir if they conflicted as they currently are. IF the above was adopted, I would shoot each equally.

Clutter and I are most likely going to start running ara matches next year at Denton, TX. I would strongly consider doing the unlimited class with IR targets also with that change. We may try them that way anyway and just not be registered. One advantage the IR target has is most new shooters understand the best edge idea better. The other thing may be willingness to put on matches. Less rules means less issues. Match directors like things easy. Maybe one of the issues is getting people to run the matches.

Just food for thought and some brainstorming.

Last edited:
Poeple to run Matches

I think Mr. Stiller has a point .............there are places that could hold matches
if there were people to run them.

Here in Arkansas
Short story, IR 5050 matches here in Arkansas is at one range only, Rimfire Ridge. (There is only one active out door range in AR) In the 3 years I have been attending Rimfire ridge I dont think there has been a 5050 match that has had 2 relays.

While at some of the matches We have talked many times about
1. New shooters.
2. Getting people who currantly shoot IR5050 or ARA , To attend the match.

We held 5 Matches this year all being State or regional with alot of Hall of fame points. If you want to take the time you can go to the website and see the discouraging attendance.
I for one don't see a change to 275 scoring being a factor in bringing more ARA or IR5050 people to the match or new shooters to IR5050. I would endorce worst edge with Xs as a tie breaker If I had to choose.
If there is any change be it scoring change, Equipment rule change, I will still support my local range. I am hooked on this rimfire BR game and will attend all I can But at this point in my life I can't take several days to go shoot 6 targets.

I personaly like the IR 5050 format as it is, I find it challenging, I have shot a few good targets - that for me is what makes me practice more and go back to every match available to me trying to get better and shoot that better score or even duplicate the scores I have shot in the past.

The original question, I do shoot both ARA and IR5050 but I do shoot far more ARA targets than IR5050.

IN my location there are 4 ranges with in a 4 hour drive I can go shoot ARA, 6 to 12 targets a day and be home the same day. There are a few ARA Ranges not much further that only shoot 4 targets a day I personaly would not attend because of that.
At the Arkansas State ARA there is 3 days of shooting 20 targets 23 shooters. In the last 2 I have attended there has been waiting list to attend. Louisiana State
indoor 3 days 20 target weekend 21 or 22 benches and at least 2 relays, Frog Level 12 targets a day.

Maybe IR5050 should try to be more like a retailer/ service company, If a retailer does not have a item on the shelf the customer is out the door and down the street looking for what he or she is needing, If the service company does not offer all of the services he possibly can, guess what there are days he is not working. Million dollar question- how to get more ranges shoot IR5050

Maybe IR5050 needs to find a way to reach the potential customer like me who wants the challenge and enjoys aquiring all of the equipment to participate.

If a company is too busy the fastest way to solve that is to raise your rates, Maybe IR5050 has out priced it self with the extra guns and equipment needed for a person to be competive or even attend a match and not finish at the bottom of the list. Who Knows! ARA (one gun one rest)

I doubt most ARA shooters would attend if there is not enough targets to get there name on the list if unless they have a loyality to a range like myself. How Many targets needed to get 12 good scores?

Bottom Line You can't expect people attend or support something that is not available to them.

Last edited:
It sure would be nice to know

What the shooters thought about 275 scoring back in 2000. It looks like it was dreamed up a couple years ago. Bet the big split and a bunch of other things ( location, price of ammo and equipment) did a lot more to loose shooters.

I would want more scope power for sporter. 275 means nothing to me I would shoot unlimited but there are not any matches close by. I can shoot ARA 3 weekends a month and not drive much more than an hour. Next year I will have 2 matches only 20 minutes from the house.

Ed Ledbetter

Lucky dude!!

What the shooters thought about 275 scoring back in 2000. It looks like it was dreamed up a couple years ago. Bet the big split and a bunch of other things ( location, price of ammo and equipment) did a lot more to loose shooters.

Agreed!

I don't know what the split had to do with overall attendance but I do know this. Folks can change anything they want to but it will not cause competitors that can't afford it to travel and shoot. There are those that can afford to continue and those that can't. Go after those that can...there's plenty of them out there.

I was traveling and shooting a lot during the late 1990's and early 2000's and didn't ever hear 275 scoring mentioned back then. Only recently has it been discussed to my knowledge. But I could have just missed it.
Dave

Back