Super shoot

Pete,
Have you shot a Nationals over a trotline that was broke and had dead fish on it the next day? Well I have! I was part of an Aussie flag rotation and provided 6 of the flags and stands. The powers that be put me on the trotlines while folks with no flags or interest shot over the Aussie flags.
Butch

As most guys who run a flag rotation at the Super Shoot....

... when one invests several thousand dollars in five sets of flags and offers to have them shot over (and very often shot at), there is an expectation that those will be the flags used on that rotation. That's the convention that has developed at the Super Shoot over the past thirty-plus years.

The other shooters who ask specifically to shoot on that person's flags are expecting to use that specific type of flag. Those shooters number between twenty to thirty at the Super Shoot. When one other guy decides to set another type of flag over those of the flag sponsor on the same bench rotation, it affects quite a few other shooters; not just one. Most of the other shooters who are placed on that flag rotation get very upset when someone else unilaterally decides to put their flags on that rotation, too. It usually gets a little ugly.

I offer to use (and unfortunately have abused) a flag rotation to shoot over not only for myself, but also for the other twenty-plus shooters who ask Jim Kelbly to place them on my rotation so they can shoot over this specific type of flag. (I get several shot every year and they are not cheap to replace.)

I will be using Smiley flags with pin wheels on the rotation that I am sponsoring. If you don't wish to shoot over that type of flag, please ask Jim to place you on a bench rotation that has the type of flags that you like to use. It's only common courtesy.

Thanks Joe

... when one invests several thousand dollars in five sets of flags and offers to have them shot over (and very often shot at), there is an expectation that those will be the flags used on that rotation. That's the convention that has developed at the Super Shoot over the past thirty-plus years.

The other shooters who ask specifically to shoot on that person's flags are expecting to use that specific type of flag. Those shooters number between twenty to thirty at the Super Shoot. When one other guy decides to set another type of flag over those of the flag sponsor on the same bench rotation, it affects quite a few other shooters; not just one. Most of the other shooters who are placed on that flag rotation get very upset when someone else unilaterally decides to put their flags on that rotation, too. It usually gets a little ugly.

I offer to use (and unfortunately have abused) a flag rotation to shoot over not only for myself, but also for the other twenty-plus shooters who ask Jim Kelbly to place them on my rotation so they can shoot over this specific type of flag. (I get several shot every year and they are not cheap to replace.)

I will be using Smiley flags with pin wheels on the rotation that I am sponsoring. If you don't wish to shoot over that type of flag, please ask Jim to place you on a bench rotation that has the type of flags that you like to use. It's only common courtesy.

it's good to see that there is some sensability out there. As an observation, quite often the extra flags folks put out are crappy things and in my estimation, probably a detriment to the owner. If only you would invest just a few more thousand so that the entire range could be coverd with good flags :) ;)

For those that seem to be getting upset about this, I have asked Jim if I am allowed to set my flags out on my benches for a left handed shooter, and as back in 2007 when I shot my first supershoot, Jim has kindly let me.

For those that think setting out flags for right handed shooters AND left handed shooters is a bit much, well I don't mind if ALL the flags are set out for left handed shooters and the right handed shooters use them.
If this was done I bet you would have an uproar from the right handed shooters, so why should the left handed shooter have to adapt.

Actually I think all shooter should wear eye patches over there dominant eye, and shoot left handed if they are normally right handed, or shoot right handed if they are normally left handed, that should even out the field totally:D:D.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Nice read.
I shoot with Joe. And asked Jim to put me on Joe's bench. Or Jack. Or Dwight.
Last year, was my first Super Shoot(didn't know any better). I am right handed. And shoot right.
I was assigned the bench with Dennis Tinkman and Russell Means. They shoot left. Nice bunch of guys. They have top quality flags. And Dennis is nitpicky about the level. Yes. He has a level for the flags.
And they have the wind probes also......
On my left was Jack Neary. And I had shot with Jack a month before. And he was on my Left. Very nice guy.
I even attended one of his seminars. Have to do that again.
My point.
I dealt with the flag issue.
Maybe, my score could have been better. I don't know.
This year will different. The mix(stuff) is different.
But, I hope to do better.

I believe the Super Shoot is a barometer of your performance.
It is held at the same place every year. And conditions should be close every year.
But, Lowell tells me it can be a big MUD BOG......:eek:
It has been rainy lately.
So bring your goulashes(mud boots) and a rain coat.
See ya there.

The post was mostly Tongue-In-Cheek Hovis.
There’s a new or revised IBS flag rule that only allows someone to place flags in their shooting lane (singular).

Your Flags must be placed in your shooting lane which is defined as the center of the area between your bench and the neighboring bench downrange to the center of the area between your target and the neighboring target.

After a bit of discussion someone verified it was added to keep people courteous, so they can not put a flag in someone else’s lane interfering with the other competitors view of their flags. I’ve never run across that at a match so I didn’t get it (the rule) at first.

Looking at the sea of intermingled flags someone posted in this thread, and realizing the rule didn’t make an exception for multiple relays or rotations. A vision of flag “carpeting” popped into my head and I couldn’t resist making a funny. ;)
It may not hurt to add an “s” to “lane” in that rule. :D

thanks....thought I had missed something....sometimes I just feel like a slinky.

Hovis

Can't say I have

Pete,
Have you shot a Nationals over a trotline that was broke and had dead fish on it the next day? Well I have! I was part of an Aussie flag rotation and provided 6 of the flags and stands. The powers that be put me on the trotlines while folks with no flags or interest shot over the Aussie flags.
Butch

Sort of makes my case, eh?

Back