Stevens 200 Woes!

You rolling your own ammo? Chance that the OAL of the case is too short and being pushed forward in the chamber by the firing pin?? May or may not show firing pin strike but you get FTF.
If too short, pull the bullets to a jam when chambered to hold the case head against the bolt face to fire and form longer case OAL. But you probably already knew that.;)

I'll try

You rolling your own ammo? Chance that the OAL of the case is too short and being pushed forward in the chamber by the firing pin?? May or may not show firing pin strike but you get FTF.
If too short, pull the bullets to a jam when chambered to hold the case head against the bolt face to fire and form longer case OAL. But you probably already knew that.;)

priming a fired case and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pete

Nope!

priming a fired case and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pete

the pin did not touch the primer. I decocked the bolt immediately after and the pin fully extended.Guess I have to look at the trigger-safety situation as someone has suggested. The search goes on :)

Pete

Pete,
I was just bushing a firing pin hole on a 200 and a thought occurred to me. Remove the firing pin and take drill bit the correct size for the firing pin, and make sure the hole in the bolt head doesn't have anything in it to hang the firing pin tip up.....just a thought.

Last edited:
I've tried everything

everyone has recommended and still it won't go bang. I'm gonna take it to a friend who is a real "gun Plumber" and see if he can make it go bang.

Pete

I done checked it. The rifle was shooting and slowly quit. Mebby Ive assembled something wrong in the bolt. When I get a chance, I'll take it apart one more time.

Pete
Just for my curiosity Get one of the cases that will not fire: and put a new primer in it 2/3 way in and close the bolt on it Is the primer protruding out of the case

Better yet, load a single round with a longer OAL (with the bullet at a jam,into the lands) so the case head is held against the bolt face. Try that and see what happens.

Better yet, load a single round with a longer OAL (with the bullet at a jam,into the lands) so the case head is held against the bolt face. Try that and see what happens.
If the claw goes over the rim it will holed the case
back on the bolt face If the primer is out enough it will tell the head space on that case

"If the claw goes over the rim it will hold the case back on the bolt face". If there's no slop in it.
It's a Stevens/Savage. It has slop in it!! Only takes a few thousands to get FTF.
Tape the surface of the case head and see if you can close the bolt. (no go gauge)

Last edited:
"If the claw goes over the rim it will hold the case back on the bolt face". If there's no slop in it.
It's a Stevens/Savage. It has slop in it!! Only takes a few thousands to get FTF.
Tape the surface of the case and see if you can close the bolt. (no go gauge)
You will still close the bolt on a short case

"You will still close the bolt on a short case" and that will be one reason for the FTF.
You won't close the bolt on a "long" case.
Brass too small for the chamber?? (head space issue, not barrel/chamber, BRASS SIZE!!)

Back