Stevens 200 Woes!

NOT seeing the forest for the trees. Got to be something REAL SIMPLE.
Stevens 200 = One of the simplest rigs there is out there.

Blanking primers often sends a little disc of primer cup back into the bolt bore where it can hang up, get ironed to the side, get into the spring coils etc raising all sorts of Cain.

I'm sure you've cleaned and dusted your bolt Pete but my question refers to those pesky primer cup slugs that can lodge in the smaller portion or shoulder portion of the bolt bore and get swaged/ironed/hammered into place such that they impede firing pin travel but are hard to see. And don't come out without a brush or even a picking tool.

KO, Thanks

Blanking primers often sends a little disc of primer cup back into the bolt bore where it can hang up, get ironed to the side, get into the spring coils etc raising all sorts of Cain.

I'm sure you've cleaned and dusted your bolt Pete but my question refers to those pesky primer cup slugs that can lodge in the smaller portion or shoulder portion of the bolt bore and get swaged/ironed/hammered into place such that they impede firing pin travel but are hard to see. And don't come out without a brush or even a picking tool.

The answer is yes, it has done that very thing and I had not considered looking in the bolt head. I have a Rem 700 Hunter Benchrest rifle that Blanks Winchester SR primers and I had some issues with that in the very think. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give er a look.

Pete

Clean as a whistle

Bolt functions flawlessly. I can see the cocking button advance as the trigger is pulled whilst holding the action upside down. There doesn't logically, seem to be any reason this rifle will not work. When it was new, it came with the firing pin set @ 71 thousand's protrusion. Mebby I need to reset the pin to that length and see what happens?

Pete

Thanks for checking that Pete :) and yeahh... I think trying a stock pin is a cheap, easy and definitive check. I call this technique "baselining"...... my phone and laptop use the term "reset to factory default"

Sometimes when trying to get a Vortec motor to quit with the soft spots by playing with fuel curves.... and it just keeps getting worse.......that "reset to default" thing is a lifesaver ;)

try another bolt in the same action. that way you isolate the problem. trigger/safety or bolt
then go from there

Back