Sporters

T

tuna921

I hear the bottom safety or safety is no longer required in IR 50/50.

Does anyone have a thought on if the rules have changed ?

Sporter

Rule was changed just not in print yet. No safety required any more on Sporters in IR 50/50.

Not a rule

As you say not a rule until you see it in writing.

Many things have been voted on at the Nationals
but never got to print and unless it's in the rule book so everyone can see it
and adhere to it

IT"S NOT A RULE!!!!
Hard to run matches on hearsay!!

Pete

safety's gone

It would be nice to see the official ruling as versus rumor

Hey Tuna ,

I guess you would have to say it's a rumor but it's a true rumor. You can take it to the bank. Kinda like your buddy Pepper does . LOL. - CS

Rumor ?

I hear the bottom safety or safety is no longer required in IR 50/50.

Does anyone have a thought on if the rules have changed ?

Im told that the sporter safety is to be replaced be an "airbag"...............( safety first!)

Oh no..... More testing

Ribbed, not ribbed? Which color? Will we have to test condom lots too????

I thought I had my sporter figured out.

Confused Chris

Figured out???

Ribbed, not ribbed? Which color? Will we have to test condom lots too????

I thought I had my sporter figured out.

Confused Chris

Atta Boy Chris !! Im So glad you think you have your sporter figured out!!! As far as I know, You are the first. You do shoot it well. The 2014 IR season will be a real test for you and your sporter as there are some very fine Yankee sporters , & shooters coming out this year. I for one can't wait! See you come spring. Ed.

there is more to it?

Ed, I got me a Gordon sporter, I got me some black ammo.... all I need to do now is point it... right?

Looking forward to shooting with you guys this year,

Chris (still a newb) P.

I gotta agree with Pete. If it ain't in writing it was never said. Last time I read the rules it said any dispute was to be determined by the refferees. Only input allowed is to be from the printed rule book. I've seen several rule changes voted on at the nationals that are not included in the official rule book. I guess we could argue that it's time to update said book.

Ken Henderson

It would be nice to see the official ruling as versus rumor

According to the rules posted on the Official IR 50/50 website a "working safety" is required on sporters.I would think that the posted rules would be binding if someone really tried to inforce them.
MC

Sporter safety rule change

Effective this year a safety is no longer required for a sporter. This is due to the tendency of the spring in the safety to break, causing problems. You are correct, the rule book is overdue an update and we are in the process of giving it a thorough review in order to clarify a few rules that we often get questions about. Any rules changes made since the last revision will be included in this revision. It will be available around mid-March.

Effective this year a safety is no longer required for a sporter. This is due to the tendency of the spring in the safety to break, causing problems. You are correct, the rule book is overdue an update and we are in the process of giving it a thorough review in order to clarify a few rules that we often get questions about. Any rules changes made since the last revision will be included in this revision. It will be available around mid-March.

Thanks Bill

Sporter Rules

Bill, along with the Sporter safety requirement it would be a real plus to remove the clip or magazine requirement from the Sporter Class. NO ONE uses it to feed during a match. It would make it much easier for the gunsmiths to build sporters, along with the manufacturers would be able to reduce cost to build them. The safety removal and elimination of the magazine could significantly reduce the cost of a Sporter. It would not change the class as long as you stay with the 7.5 Lb. weight, stock dimension rules and the 6.5 X scope. The old song about making it like a 22 that you would hunt with does not really apply. How many 22 single shots did you have when you were a kid ?
Just my opinion.

Those kind of changes to the sporter rules in RBA were instrumental in starting the organization down the slippery slope to nonexistant. Just my view.

Deleting the safety is a good thing, since it's never used and just complicates a delicate trigger assembly, sometimes in itself causing an unsafe condition, that you're unaware of.

I'm glad to see the rule changed. It will allow more options on trigger choices.

Bill, along with the Sporter safety requirement it would be a real plus to remove the clip or magazine requirement from the Sporter Class. NO ONE uses it to feed during a match. It would make it much easier for the gunsmiths to build sporters, along with the manufacturers would be able to reduce cost to build them. The safety removal and elimination of the magazine could significantly reduce the cost of a Sporter. It would not change the class as long as you stay with the 7.5 Lb. weight, stock dimension rules and the 6.5 X scope. The old song about making it like a 22 that you would hunt with does not really apply. How many 22 single shots did you have when you were a kid ?
Just my opinion.

I'm with you Bob, eliminating safety mechanics, and magazine (both being of no use other than collecting dirt)
makes common sense. Feeding ramp, for example, in lieu of mag certainly would.

Sporter

Why buy something you dont use ? Don I think RBA was using the rule change to sand the slippery slope

All of 2012 & the 1st few shoots last year I would fill the clip & shoot. Reload etc. Then my match director came by & said I couldn't do that. They had to be loaded individually. I figured it was a safety thing. Then I thought, well, what's the sense to have one then? I still haven't seen that in the rules but makes no difference to me either way.
Keith

Back