Smoothing up a rifle action

Hal

As mentioned on the "bolt lift" thread action polishing deserves it own thread.
What are some of the steps and what grit of sand paper and polishes are used ?
This should be a good winter topic.

Hal

Thanks Hal!!

I agree, good winter thread and one which I look forward to......not because I know much about :)

Well, for what It’s worth here is my one personal experience. When I got my first Bat SV a few years back, it was fairly slick but damned tight…..too tight IMO. Now I was advised to give it a couple hundred rounds to loosen up/ wear in but struck me as not quite enough.
I pulled the barrel and completely stripped the bolt and lightly coated the bolt body with mid/light grit valve grinding compound staying away from lugs and engagement surfaces and spent a few hours mostly working bolt handle up and down for an ever so slight relief of clearance.
Hardest part of the whole operation was getting compound residue out of everything, light solvent, cloths, patches, mops required.
After that, lots of metal polish on bolt body retuned bright, OEM luster and overall the gun ran better. On That action it did not take very much, cleanup was time consuming.
Just make sure residue doesn’t migrate where it’s not supposed to.

Well, for what It’s worth here is my one personal experience. When I got my first Bat SV a few years back, it was fairly slick but damned tight…..too tight IMO. Now I was advised to give it a couple hundred rounds to loosen up/ wear in but struck me as not quite enough.
I pulled the barrel and completely stripped the bolt and lightly coated the bolt body with mid/light grit valve grinding compound staying away from lugs and engagement surfaces and spent a few hours mostly working bolt handle up and down for an ever so slight relief of clearance.
Hardest part of the whole operation was getting compound residue out of everything, light solvent, cloths, patches, mops required.
After that, lots of metal polish on bolt body retuned bright, OEM luster and overall the gun ran better. On That action it did not take very much, cleanup was time consuming.
Just make sure residue doesn’t migrate where it’s not supposed to.

Is Permatex Valve Grinding Compound similar or suitable?
My Bat DS has always been a tight fit. Been using Kroil for a slicker bolt lube. Have to apply every group/target. Tried Flitz when I got it. Like you indicated above.
I have polished the bolt. That is good for a few matches....

Tim B.

Last edited:
This just might turn into a Hobo Oil thread!!

As Zippy06 sez........"I have polished the bolt. That is good for a few matches"......

ALL'S I WANTS is that my custom action runs as smooth as Dad's old 30-40 Krag.

Is that too much to ask??

Those Krags are slicker than a water melon seed.

I have a couple actions I'll try to polish this winter.

Hal

Is Permatex Valve Grinding Compound similar or suitable?
My Bat DS has always been a tight fit. Been using Kroil for a slicker bolt lube. Have to apply every group/target. Tried Flitz when I got it. Like you indicated above.
I have polished the bolt. That is good for a few matches....

Not sure. I bought a set of 3 compounds and used middle/light.
If you’re close however try this. Get a container of Anshutz Keramic(ceramic) and apply it as per direction to bolt/ action body. it penetrates into metal pores, leaves no residue after wiping and it really slicks everything up and will last a whole match or two, this stuff is fantastic.

Last edited:
Not sure. I bought a set of 3 compounds and used middle/light.
If you’re close however try this. Get a container on Anshutz Keramic(ceramic) and apply it as per direction to bolt/ action body. it penetrates into metal pores, leaves no residue after wiping and it really slicks everything up and will last a whole match or two, this stuff is fantastic.

Thanks. Never heard of it.......But, like you said it might be real close.....bolt/action wise.

Tim B.

Al do you have a really tight action? Where it needs oil to be really smooth?

This is helpful in any BR action, I use it in all my BR actions including 4 different RFBR actions, simply makes them run better.

Al do you have a really tight action? Where it needs oil to be really smooth?

Well...it's not too tight dimensionally. I'd like it to cycle a bit cleaner as it's an ejector and the bolt travels a bit further. -Al

Last edited:
This is helpful in any BR action, I use it in all my BR actions including 4 different RFBR actions, simply makes them run better.

Thanks. Forgot to order some.
FYI. Alzheimer's and Wuhan Flu are contagious.....I think, I got both from the same person..........

Last edited:
Back