single point threading is 'Mickey Mouse'??

That staement alone

Being held the way it is, maybe, just maybe it'll act like a single point since the leading thread will be offset and the first point to make contact with the existing. I'd like to see some measurements taken after the work is done before I make judgment or completely crap on his method.

proves you know NADA about machining. A tap will follow the hole, end of story.

I`ve had Remington receivers that the barrel threads were .013" out of con with bolt raceway. I would not trust a tap/taps to align threads to raceway.....

Wouldn't the bolt nose lock up in the counterbore if there were truly more than about .007" of thread/raceway eccentricity?

A hand tap will with no other influences, sure.

Edit: what would happen if he ground off 5 of the 6 flutes of his taps, and why would that happen?

it would still push off , the reason for single point threading is to reduce pressure. I have tied this method many years ago made tap that fit raceway bore with a pilot and center in opposite end so tap was supported at both ends. helped slightly but was no where as good as single point and it was a real pain to turn in tight then looser then real tight.

Last edited:
A tap follows the hole or existing threads it will not cut on just one side to straighten a crooked hole no matter how its held

Dusty, David, and George are correct. A tap would need to be ground with side clearance on its teeth, like an endmill. It doesn't have that required clearance.....period....

The guy may be visualizing some kind of hand-operated boring bar concept. Could possibly work on cast iron; I can't see it with steel.
F1

They agreed with me- did you think i said it would work?

Not what I meant at all. Had I separated you out from David and George I would have written " Dusty, David and George are correct", not, Dusty, David, and George are correct. No, I knew you knew better....Now I have me confused...

See you next week?

Cant make it next week. You had me so confused i almost got out my piloted tap and used it. Sorry for the scare. It came with the bar i use every day and its never been on there

If one is chasing threads in order to correct finish and minor misalignment, a piloted tap can probably do a fine job. No, not probably, it can definitely do a fine job. What it cannot do is correct grossly misaligned threads as can be done with a boring bar and single pointing.
I had once entertained the idea of making up tooling which would utilize a threaded mandrel which would support, align, and feed what was, essentially, a piloted boring bar. It then occurred to me that in the time it would take me to make the tooling, I could single point a couple dozen receivers and be pretty happy with the results.
To be perfectly honest, there has to be a pretty obvious problem before I bother to re-thread a receiver for one of my own hunting rifles. If there is a significant angular mis-alignment so that scope mount alignment might be problematic, Ill correct it. Otherwise, I don't see the point. While a 1/2 MOA hunting rifle might be interesting, the animals I hunt won't appreciate the difference (especially where I so seldom find one to shoot!). In addition, the receiver threads seem to be a pretty small component when it comes to accuracy potential and I've seen a lot of perfect receivers on some poor shooting rifles. Regards, Bill

Remember Bill, a few guys on this forum have chambered a barrel. Maybe 2. If you don't do it their way, you are a plumber.

I actually handle plumbing chores pretty well, and have also installed a complete outdoor irrigation system. Single point threaded all the PVC pipe...(class 3)

The only thing that really counts are the results, which are easy to check,

Simply chuck up a piece of 1 1/4 stock and machine and thread a barrel tennon on it. Screw the action onto this tenon, seating it against the face firmly, without disturbing it, and then insert your straight mandrel Into the bolt way. Place an indicator on the rod and turn the chuck. If you get very little run out, your machining setup is sound.

The only thing that really counts are the results, which are easy to check,

Simply chuck up a piece of 1 1/4 stock and machine and thread a barrel tennon on it. Screw the action onto this tenon, seating it against the face firmly, without disturbing it, and then insert your straight mandrel Into the bolt way. Place an indicator on the rod and turn the chuck. If you get very little run out, your machining setup is sound.

I don't know, Jackie. I recall, several years ago, getting scolded severely by an engineering type, right here on this site, when you or I mentioned checking a receiver this way. ;) She wasted her time on me too and I still check receivers this way. Regards, Bill.

FWIW, I've checked a couple of dozen Rem 700's over the years and have never found enough runout in the threads to require recutting. About all these 700 actions have the action face that looks like the bar stock was cut off with an abrasive saw then not further machined. It usually takes about 0.002-0.005" to clean this surface up to where it is true and perpendicular with the boltway axis.

If these actions are detached, not glued, and I don't glue my hunting actions, I screw them on the just chambered barrel while it is still in the lathe. I've never had an action that had over about 0.010" runout when indicating a close fitting mandrel that is extending from the back of the action. So, in situations like this, what would be a problem that requires chasing the action threads. Or am I missing something? These are all hunting application assemblies that normally shoot about 1/2 MOA.

As to truing other actions, I wouldn't attempt it since I am not in the gunsmith business and don't own any boltactions that are not Rem 700's.

I always lap the lugs to at least 3/4 cleanup and that seems to be he bigger problem with accuracy anyway on 700's. Never have had to remachine lug faces either to get a reasonable cleanup either. Have I been just lucky or what?

Now, Remington M700 barrels being true is another story. I recently bought a 700 Varmint Special outside a gun show just to get the action. Took the barrel off and it and borescoped it. It didn't show much sign of being shot. The lands of the rifling were on the chamber neck on one side where the chamber was so off center. The guy was probably selling it because it wouldn't shoot??

The truth is, you would have to have a very accurate platform to see the difference, at the target, between a receiver with trued threads and one with threads as they come. In hunting rifles in hunting calibers, no way. The offset chamber you mention is something Remington seems to be able to do better than any other company. Regards, Bill

I think the face of the action being square will straighten up the barrel as long as theres not 98% thread engagement and the shoulder of the tenon can tighten up squarely to the action. My theory anyway. I do single point em anyway just seeing the hourglass appear anyway

Using the Manson / PTG tap tool .This is my take on it .Whatever one thinks about the threading opertion of the tooling , I like the rest of the tooling for trueing the reciever face, locking lug buttress ,and boltface .

Chris

Back