Silly Puddy

alinwa

oft dis'd member
So a few years back someone posted to use Silly Putty instead of modeling clay (wretched cleanup) or Playdoh (salty) or any of the other clays for bedding.

I tried it.

I LIKED it..... a LOT..... but buying them little red eggs gets old. I finally found "cases" or 24-packs but still.... old...old..old

Then, this Christmas..... ta-DAHHHH!!! 24 bucks a POUND! https://smile.amazon.com/Crayola-Cl...words=pound+silly+putty&qid=1578024742&sr=8-1

THIS is friggin awesome....

20200101_171530.jpg

So a few years back someone posted to use Silly Putty instead of modeling clay (wretched cleanup) or Playdoh (salty) or any of the other clays for bedding.

I tried it.

I LIKED it..... a LOT..... but buying them little red eggs gets old. I finally found "cases" or 24-packs but still.... old...old..old

Then, this Christmas..... ta-DAHHHH!!! 24 bucks a POUND! https://smile.amazon.com/Crayola-Cl...words=pound+silly+putty&qid=1578024742&sr=8-1

THIS is friggin awesome....

View attachment 23211

I think that was the one Mr. Tooley. Since I read his post I have used it and it works fine and cleans so much easier than clay.

Ok Al, how high does a pound of Silly putty bounce?:eek:

Joe

Better than I expected...... about like a red rubber kickball when dropped from the same height, but of course much more massive.

And this is from a guy who takes his bounce seriously, more seriously than you could possibly imagine. (I recently spent almost 1000.00 on 1965-67 Wham-O's)

I'm a fan of Styrofoam - different density for different jobs & it's easy to get out of even blind magazine wells. A quick cleanup here & there with a parallel Dremel burr & she's neat as.

I tried it.

Al.

Silly Putty is a non-newtonian fluid. https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-might-have-just-solved-the-mystery-of-non-newtonian-fluids.

So it absorbs vibrations and just gets a little warmer.

Lovely stuff, a blob on a lathe tool reduces chatter so still figuring out how to incorporate some into a tuner.

* doggie *

Al.

Silly Putty is a non-newtonian fluid. https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-might-have-just-solved-the-mystery-of-non-newtonian-fluids.

So it absorbs vibrations and just gets a little warmer.

Lovely stuff, a blob on a lathe tool reduces chatter so still figuring out how to incorporate some into a tuner.

* doggie *

Buggahh......

I "knew" it was a non-newtonian fluid but didn't KNOW how to apply that "knowledge"..... (((the really good stuff is always found in the "WHY")))......

I've got a lathe chatter problem... and a tuner problem. The chatter occurs while boring out long AL tubes for making tuners :)

I've got prototype tuners in the process of being made as we speak, I am a 07FFL, this is what I DO.....

And I've got an idea as to how to apply silly putty to a tuner.

Looks like break's over, back to the grader.....

buggahhh......

Be aware that Play Doh is loaded with salt.

You're correct. Like most do (I assume), all the metal gets a good coat of mold release agent including any metal the Play Doh is in contact with. The longest it's in contact with any metal is 24hrs in the stuff I bed. Anyway, many years later no evidence of problems exist.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Last edited:
Forbidden Zoners just have the cattle lick off the salt - Al Nyhus has bedded a few winning rifles, which the sheep did not completely ruin . . .:p;)RG

Yes....those I've done for you have all been Play Doh'd! :eek:

Now in a handy travel size!:cool:

fiQIcGUl.jpg

Be aware that Play Doh is loaded with salt.

I've used Play Doh for over 20 years and never had a corrosion problem. The stuff dries out and shrinks so fast that I let it sit for two days then I just hit it with a blast of air and everything pops out.

Back